30k Hobby Chat

3 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Apparently GW mandated very sparse coverage of Inductii. I know both goonhammer and sprews and brews covered the DA Inductii who can take volkite. World eater ones get ravening mad men, and BA get fear when they kill a unit.

I suppose you don't want to bite the hand that feeds you.

A week and I'm sure someone will spill the beans.

Finally Got the axe bit I ordered for my Farith Redloss kitbash. I want to check with tou fellows before I glue it down, though.

20230520_155333.thumb.jpg.cadd5b36f293b7b1534fe8d49cdaa06d.jpg

I also have no idea what he ahould hold in his left hand. Maybe a grenade? He already has the archeotech pistol in front for his variety of guns, so a pistol doesn't seem right.

20230520_155345.thumb.jpg.51be4d62a19de02515808f67ddeeba00.jpg

Without the cloak that would inevitably be burnt away by all that phosphex, his rear profule also seems bare. I'm thinking of adding some leftover grenades from the Recon Marines kit, but what else would you recommend?

The Goonhammer guys said that they basically just didn't have time to do a write up of the rules, and plan to put one out this week.

I have noticed next to no video coverage whatsoever; SN battle reports appears to be doing the campaign from the book, and mention reviewing the book as well in the opening of that vid, but there's no accompanying video. Think GW are keeping this one close to the chest.

The book was also missing from the list of items for 3rd parties to order, causing me to assume it was FW; apparently it was a "special request item", I expect stock issues is the likely cause.

At any rate, a brief summary is now on Reddit:

Here are my DiY Rapiers that I was working on earlier, unfortunately my primer died halfway through prepping them...

large.IMG_20230520_125337.jpg.413cfcd56d56c9c448db28ecde2d1fde.jpg

Interesting mix of rules for the Inductii, might have to try a ten man squad for my Iron Tenth, drive-by phosphex being chucked out of a Rhino sounds fun!

Nice conversion @Squark perhaps an additional knife, I remember some of the 40k Dark Angels kits having some more interesting combat blades that would fit nicely.

On 5/5/2023 at 11:22 AM, Gorgoff said:

Doublepostaction!

more stuff arrived:

20230505_104512.thumb.jpg.f7445437cd3d0e7eade9b27c2ac2f612.jpg20230505_104516.thumb.jpg.fa22ebedba43c74b7803ce9ce95ae01e.jpg

Twenty Despoilers!

20230505_104509.thumb.jpg.26632b8586af914d6d8189cbf2d3eb9d.jpg

The Champion Consul which rides with them the Storm Eagle.

No turning back now.

I have to face the fact that I have to build that thing.

Otherwise they'd have to walk.

But they want to fly.

https://images.app.goo.gl/brRsn9WSJQgNxrvT8

Edit:

20230505_193318.thumb.jpg.d0ba4f0e98848ff0c8960dc5eb5b8235.jpg

Ans now they've got heads:

20230520_135011.thumb.jpg.00f6f05ab78da99b8d3d98ab20cd5f44.jpg

I’ve got to get 16 sisters of silence and an acquisitor ready for an event this weekend. Naturally I’ve therefore been spending my time converting a land speeder storm and some bits of stormhawk into a javelin. I’m not a huge fan of the official javelin model and definitely not prepared to spend over £200 on a squadron, plus I had all the bits available. 

I think it’s starting to come together. I’m pleased with how well the engine housing joined onto the rear hull of the speeder. 

IMG_5665.thumb.jpeg.5f38df6b90cca1e89d2d973ca1ae2a90.jpeg

A bit of a brainwave was to remove the roll cage. This has made it look much less like the 40K model it started as. 

Next I’ll add a couple of lascannon under the wings (where I’ve got some batteries in the side of the hull, happily). The big hole under the engines needs filling in with plasticard and I’ll make some crew out of mk6 guys. 

13 hours ago, Sherrypie said:

The Revenants are starting to get a few licks of paint on them:

1167498-.jpg

The scheme as it stands is a bit on the Space Wolf side, but we'll see how that develops as details get added.

Looks like a 80s hair metal band. :biggrin:

The Storm/Javelin thing is built now, with crew and a few bits of detail gubbins added. It’s quite fun I think. Not sure if I’ll make a couple more to have a squadron. It’s quite a bit of work. 

IMG_5678.thumb.jpeg.9dced18bd7fe64b8d14270fcf3a476c7.jpeg

IMG_5679.thumb.jpeg.376e697910129f803f89d204f70839b1.jpeg

IMG_5680.thumb.jpeg.b9f2ecbbed43f9bbcd290efe2fae2b9a.jpeg

inalso picked up the freebie arbitrator, who is motm at the moment. I thought I’d try giving him a volkite. This is the result, which I’d potentially use as a Solar Auxilia Veletaris to support my Raven Guard. 

IMG_5684.thumb.jpeg.5f921587bc181926a2d39b74f2c87d48.jpeg

IMG_5685.thumb.jpeg.199c7320527c41f6884f2c14cb1bcb1b.jpeg

I scraped off the fist from his shoulder and will GS on something else. I was thinking a shield would be simple, and could allow a little number transfer or something. 

C+C welcome. 

Lovely Javelin, though having the pilots sitting right in front of the turbine's intake is a pretty bold strategy from the engineering department. I can imagine the watercooler chat at the R&D...

"Gee, driving these things day to day must be a sweaty job. The pilots keep asking for fans in the cockpit."
"Well, don't I have the blueprint for you then..."

6 hours ago, Sherrypie said:

Lovely Javelin, though having the pilots sitting right in front of the turbine's intake is a pretty bold strategy from the engineering department. I can imagine the watercooler chat at the R&D...

"Gee, driving these things day to day must be a sweaty job. The pilots keep asking for fans in the cockpit."
"Well, don't I have the blueprint for you then..."

Yeah I've based this slightly on the Proteus Land Speeder, which also has the jets directly behind the crew. This one is only marginally more solid, with a bit of structure between the crew and the ground/enemy, though not a cowardly roll cage like the 40k versions.

4 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

I don't know what pin washing is but these look great!

22 minutes ago, Cactus said:

I believe it's literally using a pin instead of a brush to apply a wash. Good for doing crevices between panels without getting a puddle on the flat surface.

Idk if that's the origin of the term, but it's basically a wash that only targets the crevasses, and is often called a recess wash in GW terms. It's used a lot in airbrushing because you want to show the details, but not ruin a lot of your hard work on the gradients.

Also it's incredible easy to do with oil paints once you dilute them to a certain point. 

5 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

I don't know what pin washing is but these look great!

basically its a very very thin oil or enamel wash that you use to panel line a mini, use dont just slop it on like you would with nuln oil but instead you use the natural capiliary action of the medium to just flow into the crevasses. You just sort of dab it into the recesses and let it flow. Its good because it adds contrast but doesnt change the tone of the main colour unlike a full oil wash/filter. 

2 hours ago, sarabando said:

I've yet to finish a single mini in my blood angels too much free hand details per mini my usual batch painting techniques are failing me 

IMG_20230523_224148.jpgspan widget

Did BA in 30k already had the death company?

@y'all: Thx for the clarification!

Edited by Gorgoff

1 hour ago, Gorgoff said:

Did BA in 30k already had the death company?

@y'all: Thx for the clarification!

Yes but it's not for the black rage it was the colour scheme they wore on suicide missions or when they were "in the company of death".in the Rubio novel 20 BA think sang is dead and decide.to go kill Horus so they repaint their armour like this