30k Hobby Chat

1 hour ago, Cruor Vault said:

Threw together the base for my Tartaros Praetor and Honored Telemacrus for my XIIIth.  Continuing in Guilliman’s fine tradition of nicking everyone else’s stuff lol!

I’ve scraped off the Fists Icons on the Praetor.  He needs something to cover up the gap on his chest, and probably wants an iron halo type deal on the top of his armor.   

Telemacrus might be done?  Debating on if I feel like magnetizing his arms or not.  I’ve got 9 other contemptors… so maybe I’ll let this one slide?

6DF05E5F-696E-4D29-B070-FEF8DFECB4AB.jpeg

9F71478C-E712-4148-AD21-C93A50A42DE8.jpeg

My brain straight up tried to understand how you converted a dreadnought in the first picture, and it took me a solid few to realize it was the infamous fist terminator lol

51 minutes ago, AGRAMAR said:

Watching your comteptor and the mix of plastic and resin I have a question: mixing parts of new dread's weapons with the old plastic comteptor dread, worth it? I want to make a mortis with BaC dread and I want to put to Kheres

It’s totally Worth it.  I have two of the monopose Contemptors that I cut up to add magnets to.  It’s quite easy and ensures that you’re never stuck with a load out you’re not happy with.  

I’ve got enough arms to run 2-3 pairs of every weapon and I swap them around on my Contemptors depending on if I’m using them in 30k or 40K.  

That's good, really good. A friend of mine gifted a BaC dread some time ago and it lacks the Kheres arm. I have another one complete and I would like make a Mortis with two Kheres. As impossible it is to fond a spare arm with a Kheres, I was wondering to use a newer one. But I was afraid for the different designs.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Cruor Vault said:

It’s totally Worth it.  I have two of the monopose Contemptors that I cut up to add magnets to.  It’s quite easy and ensures that you’re never stuck with a load out you’re not happy with.  

I’ve got enough arms to run 2-3 pairs of every weapon and I swap them around on my Contemptors depending on if I’m using them in 30k or 40K.  

Brother Cador here bravely volunteered to be the first of his brothers to go under my shakey hand. I think I overthinned the paint a tad (But that just means another coat), and I think I need to pick out some more details so my Dark Angels won't be auite so monochrome.

20230407_132358.jpg

20230407_132543.jpg

Edited by Squark

Nice work @Squark some chequers would look ace and break up all that black, or something simpler like squad markings on the shoulder guard.

I'd say that it's a smidge too tall @Cruor Vault, but it's ace to see dreadnought banners!

Edited by Pearson73

22 hours ago, Cruor Vault said:

Added a banner, but maybe it’s a little tall?  I can drop it down by about a mm without cutting into the banner itself. 

It does look a little tall.

A rule of thumb looking at models with back banners seems to be that the banner (excluding the topper of the pole) is approx 50% height of the base model.  So for back banners basically the same length as the torso.  Obviously for company standards the banner itself is usually taller than the marine, but those are held to the ground.  Solution here could be to cut off the 3 tails of the banner and lower, or, reprint it at 200% holding it in his fist :0)

20230408_192204.jpg

20230408_192140.jpg

20230408_192124.jpg

Finally, my command Rhino is assembled!. The heavy flamer is just for fun. And also, a mortis dread, a librarian made with a mix of cataphractii and chaos terminator pieces and another mix to make a Tartaros sargent/centurion with TLC. 

All for my SoH army.

20230402_191818.jpg

20230402_191709.jpg

20230402_191700.jpg

20230402_191654.jpg

20230402_191523.jpg

Edited by AGRAMAR
Posted too soon. No text

Got some more word bearers ready for action. Doing the classic single different models, but I got the rest of both infantry units up in the wings. Really happy with how the orange does so much work as every energy/light colour.

PXL_20230409_184920904.jpg

PXL_20230403_192005993.jpg

PXL_20230403_192100938.jpg

Combined Hobby/Lore question- I picked up a Deathwing Command Squad Banner for conversion use, but on closer inspection it looks suspiciously like a stylized depiction of the Lion's defeat on Caliban. Do you think it's too anachronistic to use for a command squad's standard bearer?

21 minutes ago, Squark said:

Combined Hobby/Lore question- I picked up a Deathwing Command Squad Banner for conversion use, but on closer inspection it looks suspiciously like a stylized depiction of the Lion's defeat on Caliban. Do you think it's too anachronistic to use for a command squad's standard bearer?

Show it.

Feom your description I tend to say it is but maybe it looks generic enough to still work.

99120101096_DeathwingCommand01.jpg

Bottom left model (The bit is in the mail alongside the parts for my primus medicae, so I can't take a picture of my own). The imagery is vague enough that the DA have plausible deniability as to what it shows in 40k, but it's clear what it symbolizes to anyone who knows what happened. You could argue it's commerating a great sacrifice by a warrior during the crusade, but it still feels anachronistic. Maybe the Ravenwing Cmand Squad banner would work better if I can find that? Hooded figures aren't as big a part of 30k DA iconography but they still seem to show up on occasion. That 2 might need to be removed though, and that's an awfully "flappy" banner for an infantryman.

01.jpg

Edit: what about the Blood Angels Banner with the Blood Icons and text filed off? Or should I just raid a command squad?

99120101123_BloodAngelsAssautTerminators

Edited by Squark

I think that Deathwing banner works, could definitely be a bunch of things rather than the Lion, like i think it would work perfectly on a dreadnought showing the bearers fall. The good thing with allegorical art is it can say whatever you want after all :D