30k Hobby Chat

Resin can be an interesting material to work with.

Firstly you'll want to make sure the resin is washed to remove any of the release agents, warm water, a little dish soap and a toothbrush work wonders.

Particularly thin items can be fragile (but resin does allow for some thin details that you'd really struggle with in GW plastic).

Heads and the like should be pretty easy to work with.

I remember the old MkIV Red Scorpions torsos, the way they were attached to the gate was a nightmare (it fed into the bottom of the torso), getting them off the gate gave me so many cuts on my fingers but fortunately I think they've improved the way they cast.

6 hours ago, Mana said:

How hard is to work with resin? I might get the FW terror squad heads and use them in sergeants and characters (would use them with new mk6 armor, I think they look good together). Is the FW quality acceptable now?

I have zero experience with resin. thanks!

If you want to start with resin then heads is probably the most forgiving, because it’s only one superglue join with a reasonable surface area (rather than 4 if you go for a resin torso, or trickier angle at the wrist.

You could pin or use a little green stuff if you were worried about the join. Remember you don’t want to breath resin dust: use a mask if sanding.

I say go for the heads. For reference, a few mostly plastic models:

Spoiler

Emperor’s child with resin head and plasma pistol (both fine).IMG_2686.thumb.jpeg.9dd6f601193094117e687a17e2ea3a07.jpeg

Blood Angel MkII with resin head (fine) and resin legs (pain, doesn’t stand flat). Blood Angel MkIII with resin torso (pain) and shoulder pads (again a pain, can’t pin them, fall off often). Resin handflamer is magnetised. Not completely satisfactory, will be replaced with bolt gun.

4A9B5EDA-7EEF-4AF7-8D56-71991DE08404.thumb.jpeg.4a926cd80959714e9ae3a466221dc437.jpeg

6 hours ago, Mana said:

Edited by LameBeard
Phew! Managed to get rid of most of triple post. Iphone is dangerous for posting!

On 11/1/2023 at 6:48 PM, tinpact said:

I learned this at a fairly young age trying on my first bicycle helmet. I picked one out, thought it looked so very sleek and cool, and then I looked in the mirror - tragically, real helmets tend to make the person wearing them look a little bobble-headed (look at the Stormtroopers from the Star Wars movies compared to in comics!).

I'm not really fussed over it; I kind of like the proportionately smaller heads - I think it makes them look more exaggerated without making the models bigger, although it doesn't really make sense when you've got a bare-headed marine next to a helmeted one.

Iv'e thought about this alot. Why marine helmets are like skull caps. The answer is simple. Ceramite. When it takes a signifigant hit rather than deforming and fracturing the marines skull anyway like a normal military helmet ceramite is ablative and shock absorbing and how do bike helmets absorb shock? They bust apart. It explains the form fitting design and the fact you see alot of guys mid battle with no helmet they simply passed an armour save.

There are form fitting ballistic helmets made today but you don't want anything to do with them since they are made from modern ballistic materials and any caliber round hitting it is gonna give you a really bad time. If you watch videos on youtube of people testing out military grade helmets well... bare headed marines start to look alot less stupid considering thier superhuman physique and bone structure if it weren't for ceramite they'd be almost better off without one since the only thing modern helmets are gonna stop without putting you in the medics anyway is light shrapnel and 22's and some don't even stop the 22's so well. When it comes to superhuman space men it's better to not try and apply too much modern logic.

What about Terminators you say? Thier helmets are huge! Well yes cuase they have to be to have the internal extra space against deformations since they aren't made from just ceramite and are made with Ceramite and Adamantium wich is unfortunate from a logic prospective cuase it makes the helmetless Terminator guy look like he just took it off for funsies like some belt clipping Primaris butthole and you have to stretch the imagination a little further to rationalize the decision. Yep too much thought invested in this topic... I blame those youtube videos.

16 hours ago, Mana said:

How hard is to work with resin? I might get the FW terror squad heads and use them in sergeants and characters (would use them with new mk6 armor, I think they look good together). Is the FW quality acceptable now?

Also, does anybody know someone that has used the new night lords mk6 heads somewhere? I wasn't able to find them anywhere to look at some pics.

I have zero experience with resin. thanks!

Way easier. Much less issues with cracks and bubbles and mold slippage and stuff since the designs all went digital. If you do get something thats really messed up thier customer service will typically replace it quickly and with very little hassle. Since the masters are 3d printed I imagine they don't keep the molds around as long as they used to and as such you get much better quality minis and with oftentimes less clean up although I'd never gotten a set of heads that was actually screwed up in anyway besides the wonkyness that you could get from the old hand sculpts.

This is also why some of the details and pieces are bulked up on newer sculpts. Way fewer issues with bubbles or anything causing the cast to be bad.

Speaking of new things, I'm building the new MK IIIs right now. I quite like the kit, it's way easier to deal with than the older MK III plastic. I always hated the backpack being in two pieces.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

That Deredeo looks really nice, the more I see the mini the more I Like it. I had to make an effort not to buy the new big box, I want to work on my backlog first.

Also thanks everyone for the advice with resin!, I already ordered the Terror Squad heads, hopefully I will post some updates here when I start using them.

I started doing my own design for the decals, I will post here the finished legion symbol eventually. One LGS has some kind of transparent transfer paper that work on laser printers, so I will try to get it printed when the design is finished to see how it looks... If it doesn't work I will end up buying the FW decal sheet (I actually have the 40k decal sheet with night lords, but the logo is a bit different).

I found time ago this jump packs (Max Mini) very cheap and I bought 15 for my mk3 assault marines. What do you think about? They fit?

20231118_140124.jpg

20231118_140112.jpg

20231118_140104.jpg

20231118_140053.jpg

20231118_143659.jpg

Edited by AGRAMAR

15 hours ago, suxdavide said:

I feel like they're a little bit too big.

Also, shouldn't mk3 represent the only mark unable to fly (no matter the reactor)?

Yup, I think it too. But I think it also suit with this type of power armor

No. In fact, is the perfect mark for Assault marines. It just have extra plates in front (A mk3 is just a mk2 with more front plates. The rear is identical in both marks). Just check art from Sabretooth's CCG. You have plenty examples.

Look WB's Ashen Circle, for example. They use a customised mk2-3 and is the only jump unit with the rule "heavy" if I recall correctly 

images (1).jpeg

images (2).jpeg

Edited by AGRAMAR
Corrected some spelling mistakes

2 hours ago, suxdavide said:

I feel like they're a little bit too big.

Also, shouldn't mk3 represent the only mark unable to fly (no matter the reactor)?

That was a throwaway line because FW didnt make a Mk3 jump pack assault squad for totally unrelated reasons, Mk3 armour is not much heavier than any other Power armour, there are multiple depictions of assault marines in mk3 and there are jump packs lifting vastly heavier things out there like dreadnoughts :) 

They are a smidge too big, but then huge jets is what jump packs are all about :D 

5 hours ago, AGRAMAR said:

images (2).jpeg

Technically yes the black books stated MK3 didn't have an assault variant cuase it was too heavy for the jump packs they had but this picture (and I have some of these style jump packs 3d printed they are awesome) really look like they could do the job. After seeing the new tri thruster MK6 I hope gw gets creative and gives us a MK3 assualt kit and brings this ridiculous jump pack into plastic beacuase it just looks delightfully insane. 

2 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Technically yes the black books stated MK3 didn't have an assault variant cuase it was too heavy for the jump packs they had but this picture (and I have some of these style jump packs 3d printed they are awesome) really look like they could do the job. After seeing the new tri thruster MK6 I hope gw gets creative and gives us a MK3 assualt kit and brings this ridiculous jump pack into plastic beacuase it just looks delightfully insane. 

My understanding is that mkiii being too heavy to fly is a fan misconception that hasn't been supported by official material. Do you happen to have a reference for which black book it was written in? I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

7 hours ago, Noserenda said:

That was a throwaway line because FW didnt make a Mk3 jump pack assault squad for totally unrelated reasons, Mk3 armour is not much heavier than any other Power armour, there are multiple depictions of assault marines in mk3 and there are jump packs lifting vastly heavier things out there like dreadnoughts :) 

They are a smidge too big, but then huge jets is what jump packs are all about :D 

1 hour ago, corvus.calvariam said:

My understanding is that mkiii being too heavy to fly is a fan misconception that hasn't been supported by official material. Do you happen to have a reference for which black book it was written in? I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

Yeah, the only source we have for Power Armor weights is FFGs Rites of Battle pg 151:
image.png.3abbbc64d8b83804fd0732b4f5ddf57d.png

The weight difference isnt too bad between Mk II and III per the book but it would depend on distribution but its also just a tiny bit over double Mk VI.

5 hours ago, Jud Cottrell said:

On the subject of MKIII and jump packs, do you think this style of jump pack will suit MKIII?

52804424381_b7694e0545_c.jpg30k Dark Angels Assault Marine 

I’m planning a conversion using Fafnir Rann’s body.

I think it is an excellent choice!

RE: MK3 with jump packs:

The lore as I understood it was that mk3 was just less agile than other marks. The notes just talking about how marines were hindered a bit by the additional power requirements and front heavy balance which is why it was favored for boarding actions: A solid wall that defenders couldn't break through.

Nothing really said JP COULDN'T be there, just that it was not as effective as a more agile marks (such as base mk2, mk4 and mk6). Probably not noticeable at table top scale but when you got psychopathic murder machines hunting for that extra 5%-10% that may win combat over another power armor psychopath, it's probably relevant at per person scale.

17 hours ago, corvus.calvariam said:

To be honest I'm not sure where I read it cuase like almost 10 years have gone by but I know I did or did I? It might have even been from the description of mk3 despoilers or mk 2 assault on the FW store site and I think it more implied that it wasn't really done more than it couldn't be done cuase of the extra weight being in the front. The tidbit didn't just manifest from nowhere but it seems impossible to find on google so it could very well be a case of the Mandela Effect stemming from the early descriptions that mark 3 was for boarding actions and "unsuitable" for regular warfare due to the clunkiness and weakened rear armour.

It definitely makes little sense as a human body isn't like an airplane in the first place and the extra weight should really only translate to higher fuel consumption and lower thrust I could see however the extra weight from the jump pack combined with the weight of the extra armour being a burden on the power suit systems itself putting too much strain on the legs and slowing down the marine on the ground. But hey some guys got those four barrel reactors now so all it takes is an appropriate design to suspend my disbelief.

It really was a throw away line, i think by Tony C but i couldnt be certain of that exact detail, but yeah people do mandala around it and start imagining stuff. Certainly the actual writers at the time didnt think it was impossible or even a bad idea, but FW only has so much budget for models and the assault marine range was pretty decadent as is lol

Any small loss in agility is bad up for by momentum, Jump Packs dont really fly agilely (Thats what flight packs are for) so a bit more oomph when you crash into the enemy is going to be more useful most of the time! 

Finally working on my inductii, the silver paint scheme for Dark Angels is looking pretty good so far. My idea for them would be that they would learn from some of the Knight orders about guarding against void incursions by Xenos, combined with the Guardians of the Covenant-style paint scheme eventually leading to that chapter.

If I do another squad, I'm thinking of changing it up. Tying in some Caliban green with the black for some Calibanite recruits they picked up would make a lot of sense. I was kind of thinking MK III, with green for the back armor, and black for the armored/front plates. Anyone have any thoughts on some green mixed in there? Maybe like a Disciples of Caliban style color scheme?

I know those chapters were founded later, but the idea would be that those historic formations would've been what inspired the heraldry and purpose at their founding.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Thanks corvus.calvarium, and Agramar! I’ll pics once he’s done!

Great work Astartes Consul. I like your shade of blue, just the right amount of vibrancy for the XIIIth.

Wrath of the Lion, I’ve gone for a green and black scheme and I feel it works, so go for it!

Edited by Jud Cottrell