30k Hobby Chat

6 hours ago, LameBeard said:

Yeah, and reinforce the shelves while you are at it - how much does it weigh!?

1 hour ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I'm geussing alot.

Actually its pretty light.  Printing allowed me to hollow out the Treads and command deck.  It weighs just under 3lbs by my reckoning.  Which matches with the amount of resin it took ~1.5 Bottles.

New guy painted for my army. This is a second hand Techmarine. It came half painted but some of the colour was gone, so I "restaured" it and finished painting. Maybe tomorrow I'll add mote details or I leave it like this...

20240304_222415.jpg

On 3/4/2024 at 11:54 PM, Agramar_The_Luna_Wolf said:

New guy painted for my army. This is a second hand Techmarine. It came half painted but some of the colour was gone, so I "restaured" it and finished painting. Maybe tomorrow I'll add mote details or I leave it like this...

20240304_222415.jpg

ive got one of this era's techmarines in my white scars and they are TINY 

progress on NLs is slow. Plasma coils are not my strong point at all. 

47 minutes ago, sarabando said:

ive got one of this era's techmarines in my white scars and they are TINY 

progress on NLs is slow. Plasma coils are not my strong point at all. 

Tiny...but gorgeous. I only want to have one of the 2nd edition models 

Today I took the plunge and tried out oils for the first time.  Wow!  I can’t believe I was intimidated by them for so long!

I’ve been really inspired by this image of a Red Butcher from the black books for a long time.  Decided to use my experiments today to try and replicate it.  

I'm not thrilled with the red or the metallics on this guy, but I have ideas for improving for future iterations.  

Sponging blood paints over contrast medium results in some VERY cool effects, though I think I went a touch overboard on this guy.   

IMG_7297.jpeg

IMG_7294.jpeg

Revised the scheme a bit.   I switched reds from Army Painter Speed Paint to GW contrast.   Much much happier with the result.  I also used Vallejo liquid gold this time around.   I worked most of the details into the model before i did the varnishes and they feel a lot more cohesive.  

I did 3 levels of blood splatter, left being lightest, right being the heaviest.   I’m toying around with snow bases for more blood fun.   

IMG_7298.jpeg

IMG_7302.jpeg

IMG_7299.jpeg

IMG_7300.jpeg

IMG_7301.jpeg

On 3/7/2024 at 5:34 PM, Cruor Vault said:

Revised the scheme a bit.   I switched reds from Army Painter Speed Paint to GW contrast.   Much much happier with the result.  I also used Vallejo liquid gold this time around.   I worked most of the details into the model before i did the varnishes and they feel a lot more cohesive.  

I did 3 levels of blood splatter, left being lightest, right being the heaviest.   I’m toying around with snow bases for more blood fun.   

IMG_7298.jpeg

IMG_7302.jpeg

IMG_7299.jpeg

IMG_7300.jpeg

IMG_7301.jpeg

Looking good, I experimented a bit with my blood effects with the XIIth. I found on metallic and darker surfaces it looked good, but on the white, there wasn’t quite enough tonal variation in the red. I found adding a bit of black (in the form of Tamiya smoke clear) darkened the effect a little. Using it he mix sparingly in  areas and the straight effect in other areas really added more variation and realism. 

Cadmus

Tried out the chipping and oils on some Ultramarines.   So awesome, but now I have 40,000pts of Ultramarines that need to be updated….

Did a Champion and Librarian kitted out to join my Suzerains.   I’ve got the Praetor/Delegatus still to paint.  

IMG_7334.jpeg

IMG_7331.jpeg

IMG_7328.jpeg

On 3/13/2024 at 5:35 PM, Cruor Vault said:

Tried out the chipping and oils on some Ultramarines.   So awesome, but now I have 40,000pts of Ultramarines that need to be updated….

Did a Champion and Librarian kitted out to join my Suzerains.   I’ve got the Praetor/Delegatus still to paint.  

IMG_7334.jpeg

IMG_7331.jpeg

IMG_7328.jpeg

Where's that last marine from? With the fur collar.

4 hours ago, Torbenos said:

Where's that last marine from? With the fur collar.

It's actually the same model as the champion, the designer included versions with and without the fur and the cape!  The Designer is Diverging Realms, this was one of his legion agnostic character series.