30k Hobby Chat

Ok, so I made a lot more progress today. Still infernally hot, but a wee bit less. 

50205626237_c83681c4b8_k.jpgArquitorWIP4HD by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/185990286@N07/[/url], on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jutwGn]50205347541_fc577ac019_k.jpg

Edited by Lovecraft0110

Only a very bad WIP. I'll snap some after work this afternoon. If I am super quick I'll be able to do enamels and decals today. That would be pretty great.

I bought a blue black enamel wash from mig to try out on my metals. The way its currebtly going I'll only be using oils for streaks soon.

The question I have to answer now is: who next? Rogal dorn? Or do I build a terminator praetor + bodyguard next?

If I do dorn... Golden or yellow? I am very much torn on this.

P.s. yes I do have parts for 15 phalanx warders, no I dont want to paint a 15 strong squad right now.

Also: I have been eyeing up Sons of Horus and emperors children as a potential second legion. OtoH I still want a bunch of heavy material for my fists

My vote would be for Rogal Dorn in weathered TMM brass armor. I would go for this paint if I painted Dorn myself. 

Ok, so I made a lot more progress today. Still infernally hot, but a wee bit less. 

50205626237_c83681c4b8_k.jpgArquitorWIP4HD by https://www.flickr.com/photos/185990286@N07/[/url], on Flickr

]https://flic.kr/p/2jutwGn]50205347541_fc577ac019_k.jpg

Soooooo coooooool! Love the weathering!

BCC

I definitely want to give him a weathered golden appearence.

I own the vallejo metal colour series as well as darkstar molten metal copper and bronze. I could do something with that. The copper shadow colour plus some bronze might work pretty well.

I will definitely wash some of his armour with tueqoise oil paints and things like that.

The metal parts will be very dark metal - vallejo metal colour + paines grey ink

The arquitor looks on point! DG would be a cool traitor army as well but they would also play a lot like fists I fear

How do you get the very small chips when sponging? Curiously I dont manage to get that. I use the foam from feldherr transport foam.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Has anyone done Dark Angels cataphractii terminators yet? I have some that are very close to done, but not certain where to place any decals on it.

I figure the legion icon needs to go on the knee, I think the shoulderpad was too small with my measurements.

I definitely want to give him a weathered golden appearence.

I own the vallejo metal colour series as well as darkstar molten metal copper and bronze. I could do something with that. The copper shadow colour plus some bronze might work pretty well.

I will definitely wash some of his armour with tueqoise oil paints and things like that.

The metal parts will be very dark metal - vallejo metal colour + paines grey ink

The arquitor looks on point! DG would be a cool traitor army as well but they would also play a lot like fists I fear

How do you get the very small chips when sponging? Curiously I dont manage to get that. I use the foam from feldherr transport foam.

Sounds like a plan to me! I love the Rogal Dorn model, I was tempted to get it just to paint it up. Don't get me wrong, I also like Imperial Fists IF heavily weathered, but the playing style does not really attract me much. I used to play Iron Hands, and it's too similar. 

As for the chipping, glad you liked it. This is liquid mask chipping, a technique I learnt a few weeks ago, and which I find vastly superior to what I used to do (sponge chipping or chipping fluid). You have a detailed step by step in my Leman Russ Pt. I tutorial, if you like. The pics probably don't show it, but this is actual chipping - you literally peel the outer layer to reveal the undercoat. Unlike with chipping fluid, it's not diffuse, so the texture is visible if you look close enough. That is to say, it's actually 3d, not a 3d effect like painted chips. 

https://imgur.com/a/yqxzKMH

Here they are all glossy wip and weird looking.

I just applied decals so while the micro sol is doing its thing ill quickly hit the gym, then apply my enamel washes and matte varnish and start the sponge chipping stage. While gloss varnishing I realized that I didn't edge highlight my blacks yet. So maybe I just dont do that at all or after enamels.

I wanted to do chipping medium on my rhinos but I fear I didnt apply enough layers. I didnt really get good chipping so I did it by sponge afterwards. I'll retry on my next larger project. For infantry sponge just seems the way to go.

I saw the LR tutorial. I am especially interested in pt II where you do the mud effects. I'll revisit that before I get into my next bunch of tanks.

Here is a tutorial for that liquid mask chipping method.

Personly i prefer Humbrol Maskol as a product.

But if you want to weather your models you need plan it in your painting process and final result.

And here is the one that I made, as I mentioned before:

https://imgur.com/a/yqxzKMH

Here they are all glossy wip and weird looking.

I just applied decals so while the micro sol is doing its thing ill quickly hit the gym, then apply my enamel washes and matte varnish and start the sponge chipping stage. While gloss varnishing I realized that I didn't edge highlight my blacks yet. So maybe I just dont do that at all or after enamels.

I wanted to do chipping medium on my rhinos but I fear I didnt apply enough layers. I didnt really get good chipping so I did it by sponge afterwards. I'll retry on my next larger project. For infantry sponge just seems the way to go.

I saw the LR tutorial. I am especially interested in pt II where you do the mud effects. I'll revisit that before I get into my next bunch of tanks.

Looks good, have fun with the weathering!

50205626237_c83681c4b8_k.jpgArquitorWIP4HD by https://www.flickr.com/photos/185990286@N07/[/url], on Flickr

]]https://flic.kr/p/2jutwGn]50205347541_fc577ac019_k.jpg

Soooooo coooooool! Love the weathering!

BCC

Thank you very much, BCC! Let's see if I can do a bit more tomorrow!

This will be interesting, technically still 30k, yeah? 

twttlRU.jpg?1

I recently acquired a 3D printer, and I got it in my head to print 2.5k of Epic 30k for an Istvaan 5 campaign for each of my friends who is interested. Starting with World Eaters, I've got a 3k force for the World Eater player cause I owe him a favor. 

hL0VQZZ.jpg?1
I unfortunately used up a lot of my spare extra bases in this, so I'm halted on the other Legions until more arrive. :)

I unfortunately used up a lot of my spare extra bases in this, so I'm halted on the other Legions until more arrive. :)

But you do own a stc machine of eternal wonder now that will produce them for way cheaper than GW.

Also: extremely cool project! Id like to do something like this with my group or maybe battlefleet heresy...

Still got the washes done and varnished yesterday! I put some paint on the bases before work today and sadly wont manage any more since I'll be sailing directly after work.

Next up is edging the black and sponging the models.

Migs blue black panel liner worked amazingly well if a bit slow at drying. I'll see hiw it works on my metals.

Lovecraft: I was thinking - I'd like a destressed/rusty metal tutorial from you. Maybe different stages of crustyness. Like very rusty for things like dozerblades and tracks, medium rusty for wheels and support parts of tanks and walkers. Lightly rusty for colour variation and those who dont want to go full hog.

I cant seem to get my crusted rust deposits to work the way I want them to.

Bonus nurgle method:

Nurgles rot base, wash ak streking rust, drybrush metal

Thise TSons bases look very cool and awesome! Love em!

Next army I do definitely gets a desert/mars theme and TSons speak to me as well.

This will be interesting, technically still 30k, yeah? 

twttlRU.jpg?1

I recently acquired a 3D printer, and I got it in my head to print 2.5k of Epic 30k for an Istvaan 5 campaign for each of my friends who is interested. Starting with World Eaters, I've got a 3k force for the World Eater player cause I owe him a favor. 

hL0VQZZ.jpg?1

I unfortunately used up a lot of my spare extra bases in this, so I'm halted on the other Legions until more arrive. :smile.:

OMG! That is amazing, @Hungry Nostraman Lizard!

Would you print some for me? I would gladly pay whatever you think is fair!

Lovecraft: I was thinking - I'd like a destressed/rusty metal tutorial from you. Maybe different stages of crustyness. Like very rusty for things like dozerblades and tracks, medium rusty for wheels and support parts of tanks and walkers. Lightly rusty for colour variation and those who dont want to go full hog.

I cant seem to get my crusted rust deposits to work the way I want them to.

Sure, I can do that. I am not sure what to do it on, though. Any suggestions? 

I mean you are currently painting dg ;)

What about a predator or rhino? Dozerblade, tracks, wheels and random metal bits on the turret will have different levels of rust on them. I am interested in an 'exagerated but realistic look'. It should be grimdark and interesting to the eye but not comicy like nurgle/orcs

Don't have any! I could show how I do the tracks, but it does not involve any metallics. I do tank tracks like military modelists. The only metallics on my Arquitor are the exhaust, the guns, and the smoke dispensers. Did you see the part about metals on the Terrax video, btw?

I could do the Arquitor's exhaust - the gun is partially weathered already.

Got some of Neil Collins's Mark I Terminators, so built one up today. It's a nice model -- more pleasing to this sentimental eye than a lot of the contemporary takes currently floating around. I'm looking forward to painting this one up, though I fear that I think I'll have to shake some dust off my paintbrushes considering what a good while it's been since I've painted something up for the VII Legion, or indeed, any Legion.

med_gallery_78067_12186_93890.jpg

Pretty awesome model. I am contemplating getting 5 as well.

Finished my hss today. I will do some quality pictures of my last (three??) built units maybe next week.

Until such time here is some crap pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/3Yvw0VM

Coming up soon: The primarch!