30k Hobby Chat

Also, apologies for the double-posting but, I have an update on the Brick with Wings and Engines™:

lrOFtVD.jpg

ti3DYpN.jpg

YRS71ux.jpg

It's much better than I first thought from the warped pieces, but the right troop Bay (first image's left) has a wonky fitting on it, which throws the entire thing off. Need to go at it with the dremel on the problematic fitting on the inside to fix it. Left side went together with no issue after I did some heating though, so that's good.

Jeah i'd have guessed that there should be a bunch of fingers stuck to it by now ^^

It definitely is a pretty cool model. I still shy from it tho. As well as the fire raptor. Legion air assets will be the second or third step from now though.

I finished the primarch today and had a breakthrough on my marble experiments. Afterwards I converted the BaC cataphractii preator into a shield and blade praetor and did another marble Effect on his shield. I might be addicted to that now. From some leftover bits I also kitbashed a terminator standard bearer, a cataphractii with claws and a cataphractii primus medicae, as well as another mk IV apothecary with a power sword. I also decided to resurrect an old metal apothecary I had knocking about putting my total number of apothecaries to 4. Which I will need for my planned 4k stone gauntlet list. layed down the yellows and whites as well today. Next week I wont be honbying tho as I am getting on a plane to vienna tomorrow.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

So, lore question lads:

Was it ONLY Raven Guard and Alpha Legion who had Mark VI armour, or did every legion get a small amount? Asking because I was thinking of getting some of the Mor Deythan for a Legion Recon Squad for my Dark Angels. Because I love how they look.

The Raven Gaurd and Alpha Legion were the only who had access to that armor, since they alone were supplied with the corvus-pattern suits.

That being said, as the Heresy went on, scavenging suits became more and more common. The triator legions could've gotten them in limited numbers by plundering the dead of Istvaan V (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/4/4c/SoH_Helm_Markings.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/200?cb=20150106015326). The Space Wolves, Imperial Fists and White Scars (https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/File:NidunWhiteScarsTacticalMarine.jpg) got them after their battles with the Alpha Legion.

It's presence in some legions, like the Ultramarines of Iron Warriors would be harder to justify. But Dark Angels could've gotten a scarce handful of suits after the Thramas Crusade, given they were heavily engaged against the Raven Guard in Istvaan V.

Edited by The Scorpion

The Imperial Fists got a hold of Mk VI when they liberated a supply of the suits from Mars and sent a bunch of them off to the Raven Guard.

So, lore question lads:

Was it ONLY Raven Guard and Alpha Legion who had Mark VI armour, or did every legion get a small amount? Asking because I was thinking of getting some of the Mor Deythan for a Legion Recon Squad for my Dark Angels. Because I love how they look.

The Raven Gaurd and Alpha Legion were the only who had access to that armor, since they alone were supplied with the corvus-pattern suits.

That being said, as the Heresy went on, scavenging suits became more and more common. The triator legions could've gotten them in limited numbers by plundering the dead of Istvaan V (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/4/4c/SoH_Helm_Markings.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/200?cb=20150106015326). The Space Wolves, Imperial Fists and White Scars (https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/File:NidunWhiteScarsTacticalMarine.jpg) got them after their battles with the Alpha Legion.

It's presence in some legions, like the Ultramarines of Iron Warriors would be harder to justify. But Dark Angels could've gotten a scarce handful of suits after the Thramas Crusade, given they were heavily engaged against the Raven Guard in Istvaan V.

Interestingly, the fluff blurb accompanying the art slate of Brother Nidun in HH Book 8 suggests that the suit was issued to him rather than being spoils of war. Regardless, I'd say it's reasonable to assume that all legions had access to Corvus-pattern suits in one form or another. If you wanna run your recon marines in Mk6, Gederas, go for it!

Every legion could easily justify a trial suit for something like a officer. For example, converting the Krom Dragongaze model to use as a SW consul. For a single character with artificer armor, I do not think it would be weird to have that as a one-off, even at Prospero.

I might look at painting some SW today though. I've been mainly focusing on painting some 40k models I have laying around right now, to finish some and get them done.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Every legion could easily justify a trial suit for something like a officer. For example, converting the Krom Dragongaze model to use as a SW consul. For a single character with artificer armor, I do not think it would be weird to have that as a one-off, even at Prospero.

I might look at painting some SW today though. I've been mainly focusing on painting some 40k models I have laying around right now, to finish some and get them done.

Krom Dragonglaze plus the corvus helmet from the grey hunters, and the axe from the wolf cavalry, is a great idea for a Rune Priest.

Krom Dragonglaze plus the corvus helmet from the grey hunters, and the axe from the wolf cavalry, is a great idea for a Rune Priest.

I kept the frost axe and pistol, but did use the corvus helmet and some MK III pads and stuck him on a 32mm base. You'll need to do a little cutting to get the helmet on there, but I think it looks great.

I do need to finish painting him, I've only airbrushed the basecoat of dawnstone so far. I'll paint him soon though, as I'm trying to finish up the Space Wolves models I have for both 40k and HH.

There is no way I was going to buy the Forge World SW praetor model, and I heard of other people using Krom.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

There is no way I was going to buy the Forge World SW praetor model, and I heard of other people using Krom.

Man, when did FW became so disjointed? Have you seen the new Word Bearers "praetor"? It has a goddamn MARK 7 CHESTPLATE!!! How the hell are we supposed to convert THAT out of the model? Not to mention the Corvus pattern legs in the style of the old Chaos marines, which at the very least can be justified by the Word Bearers having been one of the legions that killed the most Raven Guard at Istvaan V.

And don't even get me started on the Tartaros one. Why Tartaros? Even though the lore and the artwork shows the XVIIIth's preference for Catapharactii. And if you really gonna go with Tartaros, why not make a vanilla Tartaros praetor instead of a legion specific one?

I can't even...

Edited by Slips

Man, when did FW became so retarded? Have you seen the new Word Bearers "praetor"? It has a goddamn MARK 7 CHESTPLATE!!! How the hell are we supposed to convert THAT out of the model? Not to mention the Corvus pattern legs in the style of the old Chaos marines, which at the very least can be justified by the Word Bearers having been one of the legions that killed the most Raven Guard at Istvaan V.

And don't even get me started on the Tartaros one. Why Tartaros? Even though the lore and the artwork shows the XVIIIth's preference for Catapharactii. And if you really gonna go with Tartaros, why not make a vanilla Tartaros praetor instead of a legion specific one?

I can't even...

Ableist slurs aside (really not appreciated by those of us who are neurodivergent/ disabled!), plenty of 30k character models have armour which doesn't perfectly match any particular mark, as is appropriate for artificer armour - the Word Bearer Praetor's chest plate certainly doesn't perfectly match Mk7, and we know other patterns have cabling under the lower chest plating (just look at the Angel's Tears/ Dawnbringers variant Mk4) so it may well be a variant of another pattern - or, again, artificer armour which is custom made.

Additionally, it's never been stated anywhere that the Word Bearers have a preference for Cataphractii Terminator plate - yes, the two pieces of Terminator art for them have happened to feature Cataphractii, but that's a far cry from indicating it's their main pattern, it's *two* pieces.

Yeah, I'm not as against the WB kits, it's clearly just artificer armor. I haven't seen anything showing they prefer cataphractii, but I plan on running tartaros with them anyways. The SW one mainly is just poorly executed, the sculpt is bad in my tastes, hence why I look elsewhere.

The thing I don't like about the WB kits is the heavy metal paintjob, they paint them way too bright of red.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Man, when did FW became so retarded? Have you seen the new Word Bearers "praetor"? It has a goddamn MARK 7 CHESTPLATE!!! How the hell are we supposed to convert THAT out of the model? Not to mention the Corvus pattern legs in the style of the old Chaos marines, which at the very least can be justified by the Word Bearers having been one of the legions that killed the most Raven Guard at Istvaan V.

I can't even...

Ableist slurs aside (really not appreciated by those of us who are neurodivergent/ disabled!), plenty of 30k character models have armour which doesn't perfectly match any particular mark, as is appropriate for artificer armour - the Word Bearer Praetor's chest plate certainly doesn't perfectly match Mk7, and we know other patterns have cabling under the lower chest plating (just look at the Angel's Tears/ Dawnbringers variant Mk4) so it may well be a variant of another pattern - or, again, artificer armour which is custom made.

Additionally, it's never been stated anywhere that the Word Bearers have a preference for Cataphractii Terminator plate - yes, the two pieces of Terminator art for them have happened to feature Cataphractii, but that's a far cry from indicating it's their main pattern, it's *two* pieces.

It has been stated somewhere that the Word Bearers like to field Cataphractii inside Land Raiders, but I cannot remember which book.

What I do know, is that every single piece of lore I've read (such as Know no Fear) and artwork from the black books depicts them in Cataphractii. Even Kor Phaeron, the legion's First Captain, is wearing it. Does this mean they didn't have Tartaros? Well ofc no, they must've had some suits like every other legion. But cataphractii has always been their iconic mainstay. FW then comes in and makes the Praetor tartaros, and monopose to boot. It's not infuriating, but it's not merely annoying either.

And sorry about the slur. It was uncalled for.

Edited by The Scorpion

Something something official statement from FW is that the galaxy is a big place and the Imperium has so many supply chains all over the place that every Legion conceivably had some of every mark of armor/gear at some point in time something something.

Hand waving to allow hobbyists to do their thing? Make sense in-setting? Or laziness? <shrug> I see it both ways. At the end of the day Rule of Cool with a great backstory wins.

Those WB praetors will look so much better with a different paint job. Even just some Gal Vorbak red instead of the 40k style Khorne red or whatever color they used for it.

Regardless, depending on weather, will do some airbrushing tomorrow for a tactical support squad, a heavy support squad and the remaining tactical marines, along with some other models that I've assembled.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

The point about all legions having access to all items is on point for me.

Ok the Raven and the Alphas may have been the only ones to pull mark VI in bulk out of their bags, but you can play your generic legion praetor being generic somewhere and write perfectly legitimate fluff about it's origins. FW books cover a very small element of the bigger picture with lots of scope for creative freedom.

Yeah, I know. It's just... a strange feeling. How would I put it?

It's like the Space Wolves praetor. I don't like it, but because it exists, we will never get a different one. I don't know if it makes sense. Add this to the fact that the "Dark Bretheren" RoW became redundant ever since Ruinstorm demons were introduced, and you get why I feel pretty bummed about it. It feels like FW doesn't care about the XVIIIth.

Edited by The Scorpion

The word bearers were always in a weird spot.

Dark brethern was always kind of redundant because both special characters granted daemon allies. Their special units were historically a bit meh outside of GV, but daemons were soul-crushingly broken and could inflate the size of your army infinitely with summoning.

Ironically, they got a lot stronger when malevolence dropped. Ashen circle are pretty incredible with their new points, dark brethern has a focus in hard-countering daemons and thousand sons, as does the possessed dread.

They still need an update visavis the characters unlocking daemon allies, but they're not as directionless as they used to be.

Word Bearers are one of the Legions I have seen the least on the tables, so I may be off in saying this...

...but it seems like in both 30k and 40k WB are good at summoning and bringing daemon allies....and that’s about it. Like, if you’re not gonna use them for that, go home.

‘It’s a shame b/c I like the idea of bricks of WB Zealot-ous infantry going HAM.

In 30k that's not really true. They're kind of a stealth melee legion that likes blobs; the compulsory chaplain, dark chanelling, and rerolling 1s to sweep mean you want to maximise squad size to get the most out of buffs and be in melee...to also get the most out of buffs lol. Lorgar giving +1 charge and combat res to units in Los further puts further emphasis on this. And the ashen circle and gal vorbak absolutely hammer enemies in combat.

They're also very good at anti-psyker/daemon duty thanks to their ability to get three psykers in the HQ slot and then taking dark brethern on top of that. Daemons reallllllly don't like that rite of war.

I've only handled one cast of the Ram before, and it was unofficial, given to me as a paintjob. I have to say, the quality of yours is very solid compared to the monster that was dumped onto my hands. Hehe.

Regarding the Word Bearer Praetors... the sculpts aren't bad, I don't think. They're okay! Their paintjobs were truly bottom tier compared to the previous Word Bearers stuff. I don't understand this shift in paint styles, honestly. I like consistency, so why not stick to the more realistic look...?

I've only handled one cast of the Ram before, and it was unofficial, given to me as a paintjob. I have to say, the quality of yours is very solid compared to the monster that was dumped onto my hands. Hehe.

Regarding the Word Bearer Praetors... the sculpts aren't bad, I don't think. They're okay! Their paintjobs were truly bottom tier compared to the previous Word Bearers stuff. I don't understand this shift in paint styles, honestly. I like consistency, so why not stick to the more realistic look...?

I mean, mine's unofficial as well, soooo.... But they clearly used the same type of resin as it's indistinguishable from FW resin in terms of colour and reaction to heat/cutting :laugh.:

Re the paintjobs: I think GW decided that all their products should be in the same style.... Which, sadly, doesn't benefit Forge World models as much.

Edited by Gederas