30k Hobby Chat

I started assembling rogal dorn last week. Wont be here for the weekend, but have some time off next week so I'll hopefully be able to work on him a bit. Also hopefully I'll finisb assembly and magnetizing the base today. Maaaaaybe even put some base colour / primer on him Edited by Marshal Vespasian

I started assembling rogal dorn last week. Wont be here for the weekend, but have some time off next week so I'll hopefully be able to work on him a bit. Also hopefully I'll finisb assembly and magnetizing the base today. Maaaaaybe even put some base colour / primer on him

Sweet! How's the model itself and the base? 

I love the base, it fits very well with what I have done for the rest of my army. In contrast to sigismunds and polluxes bases.

The model itself has a bunch of lovely details. Moldlines were along the legs, easy to remove. The rest fits together very well with minor snipping and filing.

I am as of yet unsure what to do with the voice of terra and I think I will have to do a lot of dark metal for decorations and trim to break up all the bronze.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

I finished another 5 tactical marines for my Word Bearers legion. I'll be building more later, but I'll probably wait for now to let things build up to do a larger airbrush priming session.

I might work on some Space Wolves, I have a 10 man squad of them almost done for the VI legion that I started a while ago. I also have some Grey Slayers primed and basecoated that I can work on as well.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Made some progress on my World Eaters.

Help me out here with the white - which do you prefer:

med_gallery_93054_12142_273620.jpg

Original method on right:

Ulthuan Grey base. Devlan mud lining along the plates. Touch up mess again with ulthuan grey. White edge highlight.

Second method on left:

Ulthuan Grey base. Gloss varnish through airbrush (actually worked!?). Shade all over with devlan mud/lahmian medium mix.

The idea was the gloss should help the shade go to the cracks and it would look a bit dirtier and more subtle. But I think it looks too dirty and too subtle. However the one on the right is maybe too cartoony - doesn't do justice to the time spent.

So I think I need something between the two. Deadline's nearly up on the sergeant so what do I do - be brave and get out the basecoat and edge highlight, at least his top half?

A quick question folks, I've just finished a squad of Tacticals for my Iron Hands and have practised the clan symbol on a couple of them, but I'm unsure whether I like it or not. Do we prefer the shoulder clean or marked?

med_gallery_71441_14877_28750.jpg

@lokkorex I wouldn't have thought to have used Emperor's Children as a base for a World Eater, but it's worked well.

Marked. Trying to recognize the designation of the opposing force by it's makings and heraldry adds to that subconcious general/tactician roleplay that is part of wargaming. Edited by The Scorpion

I love the base, it fits very well with what I have done for the rest of my army. In contrast to sigismunds and polluxes bases.

The model itself has a bunch of lovely details. Moldlines were along the legs, easy to remove. The rest fits together very well with minor snipping and filing.

I am as of yet unsure what to do with the voice of terra and I think I will have to do a lot of dark metal for decorations and trim to break up all the bronze.

Cool, if I could actually do a decent job painting flesh I would pick it up! :wink:

Made some progress on my World Eaters.

Help me out here with the white - which do you prefer:

med_gallery_93054_12142_273620.jpg

Original method on right:

Ulthuan Grey base. Devlan mud lining along the plates. Touch up mess again with ulthuan grey. White edge highlight.

Second method on left:

Ulthuan Grey base. Gloss varnish through airbrush (actually worked!?). Shade all over with devlan mud/lahmian medium mix.

The idea was the gloss should help the shade go to the cracks and it would look a bit dirtier and more subtle. But I think it looks too dirty and too subtle. However the one on the right is maybe too cartoony - doesn't do justice to the time spent.

So I think I need something between the two. Deadline's nearly up on the sergeant so what do I do - be brave and get out the basecoat and edge highlight, at least his top half?

I prefer the one on the right. It looks whiter.

I'm generally not a fan of full scale weathering, and prefer cleaner armor that contrasts with the armor chipping and markings.

Edited by The Scorpion

@LameBeard

Maybe have a look here.

http://www.lillegendstudio.com/painting-tutorials/painting-the-legions-world-eaters/

Myles is great at painting Heresy Legions.

Thanks I am in awe of Myles’s work - loved his interview on Radio Free Istvaan also. But daren’t click this link and find out I’ve been doing everything wrong!

And @TheScorpion, thanks for the encouragement. I think a whiter white will be a better contrast with the blue. And I will add some chipping I think, just with a sponge.

Edited by LameBeard

With painting you are never doing 'everythin wrong' there is a lot of stylistic/artistic choices around.

I also do love myles style but can only replicate half of what he does I also integrate techniques from vince venturella or darren latham. Dont be chained by one guy and dont be afraid because the dude who paints heresy armies for a living is better than you. He ought to be ;)

That said, how about: ulthuan grey, highlight from above with white, gkoss varnish, oil wash with abteilung 502 starship filth, select highlights with pure white, sponge pure white, jobs a goodun?

In general I prefer the more dirty style on the left.

Finished glueing dorn together an basecoated him. Started airbrushing the base. Third try for a marble effect using dried wet wipes. Turning out better than previous tries I feel.

Looking forward to working on him a bit next week. I'll propably heavily borrow from miles' tmm dorn tutorial and vince venturellas zenithal tmm gold, but use the darkstar bronze set. I really want to try and get my highlight game more on lock with painting bands of light and shadow across the mini.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Thanks. I clicked the link and it actually looks like a great tutorial for me because it’s aimed at “battle-ready”, not doing all his fancy stuff, and because I need to learn to do something with the airbrush beyond priming and flat basecoats.

I don’t understand everything in the pdf, since it's a summary - I might have to join the Patreon to get the video. But that’s probably for the second squad. For now, with one squad half finished, I just needed a decision on “whiter or leave it” and @The Scorpion was winning when the votes were counted (sorry). So here's the new "whiter" sergeant and his buddy with a bit more weathering.

med_gallery_93054_12142_115760.jpg

Not sold on the base rim colour, but for now, I'm calling him done.

Edited by LameBeard

I’m back to working on the Contemptor-Incaendius.

Took me a whole 8 hours to do a single leg, but I like how it turned out.

You can see in the back what the gold and silver metallic parts look like when you just start wet blending the colours, and it looks pretty terrible until it’s about 80% done at which point it starts to come together.

gallery_86352_12089_196917.jpeg

Edited by m0nolith

I’m back to working on the Contemptor-Incaendius.

Took me a whole 8 hours to do a single leg, but I like how it turned out.

You can see in the back what the gold and silver metallic parts look like when you just start wet blending the colours, and it looks pretty terrible until it’s about 80% done at which point it starts to come together.

gallery_86352_12089_196917.jpeg

I'm usually not a fan of NMM, but even I have to admit this would make the artisans of the IXth legion proud. Truly gorgeous paintjob.

I think @The Scorpion might mean something like this:

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_14721/gallery_107230_14721_85762.jpg

Image Credit: Vykes on this very forum - check out his thread.

Ps I think it looks dope too, assuming that “dope” is a young person’s word meaning “of very high quality, outstanding, exemplary”.

Edited by LameBeard