BIG Preview Speculation

Whatever is coming GW seem to think it will be big, I know they've contacted a few people asking them to record their reactions.

Are you one of the chosen ?

There is rumor going around now about incorporating some rules from new Apoc.

I hope it's the alternate activation phase stuff

Please god no, this would be awful for 40k.

It’s hard to imagine how introducing radical changes like alternate activations wouldn’t have large and unforeseen impacts on the codexes and would essentially invalidate a lot of it. For a start a lot of the wording of the various strategems is based around the current phase/turn system.

So it depends what you expect. Either the new edition will introduce such changes which would mean they’d also have to redo or massively FAQ all the various rulebooks, including the ones they’re still releasing.

Or, the new edition will be basically what we have now. I personally think the odds favour this outcome, no radical changes.

A couple of 'radical' changes that might not cause a lot of unforeseen ripples and have been talked about in the community are CP generation, terrain rules, morale and penalties (or lack of) for falling back out of combat. I may be missing a couple but I can certainly see a new edition changing all of that and having minimal effect on current codices, while I do like what Apoc did with the flow of a turn it could cause a lot of problems like MARK0SIAN said but something like adding the clause that removes casualties at the end of the GAME turn wouldnt be as intrusive and would move the game away from the alpha strike (or even beta strike) which is something they have tried to do with the Chapter Approved missions.

Was 7th to 8th not a 'Radical change' though?

We went from heavy rules bloat to something incredibly streamlined [to a fault in some cases - LOS being the worst], now is the time for them to make any further changes. Not that I am personally down for alt-activation, just playing devils advocate here.

Edited by TootiusNootius

I mean, Ultramarines have been in less than half of the starter boxes from memory? 

2nd Blood Angels

3rd Black Templars

4th & 5th Ultramarines

6th & 7th Dark Angels (Same minis)

8th Ultramarines

Even the last few theyve only shown up once, I mean with the range back to basics it could be basically any chapter. Though id expect a first founding and if the Necrons are going Brass that rules out Fists and possibly Blood Angels as theyll want a clear colour contrast between the two sides. 

135.png

All releases have been non specific except the Dark Angels.. 

Just joking with the meme by the way, I do totally agree with you. Just trynna lighten the mood mid lockdown... 

Was 7th to 8th not a 'Radical change' though?

We went from heavy rules bloat to something incredibly streamlined [to a fault in some cases - LOS being the worst], now is the time for them to make any further changes. Not that I am personally down for alt-activation, just playing devils advocate here.

LOS has been introduced in 5th edition. But is still awful.

A couple of 'radical' changes that might not cause a lot of unforeseen ripples and have been talked about in the community are CP generation, terrain rules, morale and penalties (or lack of) for falling back out of combat. I may be missing a couple but I can certainly see a new edition changing all of that and having minimal effect on current codices, while I do like what Apoc did with the flow of a turn it could cause a lot of problems like MARK0SIAN said but something like adding the clause that removes casualties at the end of the GAME turn wouldnt be as intrusive and would move the game away from the alpha strike (or even beta strike) which is something they have tried to do with the Chapter Approved missions.

Id agree with and like all of that except casualty removal, that would increase shooting power IMO which isnt needed

A couple of 'radical' changes that might not cause a lot of unforeseen ripples and have been talked about in the community are CP generation, terrain rules, morale and penalties (or lack of) for falling back out of combat. I may be missing a couple but I can certainly see a new edition changing all of that and having minimal effect on current codices, while I do like what Apoc did with the flow of a turn it could cause a lot of problems like MARK0SIAN said but something like adding the clause that removes casualties at the end of the GAME turn wouldnt be as intrusive and would move the game away from the alpha strike (or even beta strike) which is something they have tried to do with the Chapter Approved missions.

The ideas you mention at the start would be good changes but I wouldn’t really call them radical in the same way that alternate activations would be. They’d be more like quality of life tweaks.

I’m all for moving things away from alpha strikes and I think everything dies way too quickly but removing casualties at the end of a turn would cause huge problems. For a start you wouldn’t be able to clear a screen for your units to charge in your turn. The other issue is you’d still be removing the same number of casualties. You’d just both get to alpha strike instead.

The ideas you mention at the start would be good changes but I wouldn’t really call them radical in the same way that alternate activations would be. They’d be more like quality of life tweaks.

I’m all for moving things away from alpha strikes and I think everything dies way too quickly but removing casualties at the end of a turn would cause huge problems. For a start you wouldn’t be able to clear a screen for your units to charge in your turn. The other issue is you’d still be removing the same number of casualties. You’d just both get to alpha strike instead.

That'd probably make the game end quicker, though!

There are Necron Warriors in the "increased price" list.

I don't like what this can mean for the whole starter and Necron "green rod" replacement.

My hype was definitely quite toned down now.

Or is GW not making it obvious what's on the redux table? Knowing they're likely to run the old sculpts til the last minute/while they're still in stock regardless - They were selling metal Sisters for ages after announcing the plastics, because they had a shed-load and those metal's kept getting upped in price regardless.

Or perhaps this shiny new unit(s) will be a whole new troops choice.

You can still hope!

Edited by TootiusNootius

Yeah, definitely thinking it’ll be an “Emperor’s Angels” thing - LotD, ghostly warriors, etc. It’s been all over Psychic Awakening, and I don’t think it’s just the 40K version of Endless Spells. Fits those quotes real well.

What colours were the blurry primaris bikes? Blue with a big red floating thingy?? Think the box will be a 'fast attack' marine force vs slow footslogging Crons?? 

What colours were the blurry primaris bikes? Blue with a big red floating thingy?? Think the box will be a 'fast attack' marine force vs slow footslogging Crons?? 

The bikes were Ultramarines and the Speeder and Tank were Blood Angels, I doubt they will be in the starter set and that blurry pic looks more like a White Dwarf or Codex diorama.

Not putting AA in 40k is kinda my soap box. I'll try to keep it short.

Some people like basketball, hockey, soccer or tennis, with its breakneck turnovers and the ball going back and forth so much that your pulse never drops and you have whiplash at the end of the game from following the ball.

Other people like the slow march up the field provided by American football, or the rhythm of the inning switch provided by baseball.

These are two different types of people; neither is right and neither is wrong, and our player base contains both.

One of the things that makes the system work is that Kill Team and Apocalypse give you AA, and 40K gives you the grueling IGOUGO meat grinder.

If you change 40k, the entire suite is AA, and football fans like me will be unhappy. Or we stick with the status quo and everyone has at least one game that works the way their way. I know that plain ole 40k is perhaps the most popular member of the suite, and I can see how basketball fans might prefer that it was the game that went their way. 

That's why they get two games that work their way.

I mean, if 40k goes AA, what even is Apocalypse?

My opponent's movement phase is where I get to sit down, or fetch the beer and snacks. Or drink the beer and eat the snacks. Or talk to other people in the room. I don't want my focus 100% on a 3-4 hour game. For me, this is a social hobby. When it's not your turn, breathe, talk be merry; take pictures for a B&C battle report. I have to save and remove casualties during the shooting phase and fight back in CC, so it's not like I'm outta the game.

Anyway, your opinion is just as valid as mine, and I don't expect either one of us to change the other's mind. It's just my soapbox is all- sorry to rant.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

The bikes were Ultramarines and the Speeder and Tank were Blood Angels, I doubt they will be in the starter set and that blurry pic looks more like a White Dwarf or Codex diorama.

True true, just thinking out loud mainly

I think it'll be a new grot figure. Cause a grot is small, and small is the opposite of big.

Im half expecting it to be a repack of the Grot box and a £1 price increase. 

Probably 9th ed though. 

Well I was right about the price increase, just happened before saturday :lol:

Cruddace mentioned in White Dwarf a while ago that they wanted to look at CP generation and asked for ideas and feedback.

Well hopefully they got enough of it. The game is too bent towards MSU + Bomb play and there is no reason to run forces like a Deathwing with the current mode of play.

I think CP should be calculated based on the size of the primary detachment or faction in the army. So if you have 3 small detachments you won't get much, but one large one will generate more points.

I assume the bikes would be countered by new Destroyers? Although saying that Dark Imperium had footslogging Deathguard vs Marines with a high damage deep strike unit.

I would think the Land Speeder would be an expansion release rather than being in the big box.

There's also the possibility of entirely new Necron units so we have no idea what to expect.