BIG Preview Speculation

i doubt they would move away from smurfs for any starter kit tbh

The starter set immediately prior to Dark Imperium featured Dark Angels and was there for two whole editions of the game. In fact there have been as many starter sets that didn't feature Ultras (2nd, 3rd, 6th/7th) as those that did (4th, 5th, 8th), so there's no reason at all to assume they wouldn't highlight a different chapter in any hypothetical new box.

Edited by Halandaar

i doubt they would move away from smurfs for any starter kit tbh

The starter set immediately prior to Dark Imperium featured Dark Angels and was there for two whole editions of the game. In fact there have been as many starter sets that didn't feature Ultras (2nd, 3rd, 6th/7th) as those that did (4th, 5th, 8th), so there's no reason at all to assume they wouldn't highlight a different chapter in any hypothetical new box.

Theres a difference between "would move away from" ie probably wont change and "have never done any other chapter before"

Considering their prevalence, Ultramarines probably will be the chapter again, though until its revealed we cant say for 100% sure

A generic marine based box would sell better than one with multiple chapter specific units

I’m still leaning towards the starter chapter being Blood Angels to be honest.

- BA & Necrons have previous.

- That leaked photo of the red Primaris speeder thing.

- The upcoming BA series - “Watch this awesome new series, now buy the guys from that series in our all new starter set”

A generic marine based box would sell better than one with multiple chapter specific units

I think this is the key - They'll have one army be the canon paint scheme, but won't use fixed iconography so anyone can pick it up and paint how they wish - This seems very likely with how the Primaris range seems to be heading to a more homogenised range probably with special chapter units to come in future - But that could be incorrect.

I'd love to see a few new characters

maybe its the opposit and in the new timeline they kill each Marine who does not get a new model.

If it happens it happens, I'll be very sad to see Dante go as he's my favourite marine character (although I loved Tycho almost as much).

I'd still like to see some new characters pop up, if that means killing others, so be it.

The story arc from Dante is toooo important. They build it up for a long time. Just a heroic death could be a thing but then only for the returning of the emperor himself or anything like that.

maybe its the opposit and in the new timeline they kill each Marine who does not get a new model.

If it happens it happens, I'll be very sad to see Dante go as he's my favourite marine character (although I loved Tycho almost as much).

I'd still like to see some new characters pop up, if that means killing others, so be it.

The story arc from Dante is toooo important. They build it up for a long time. Just a heroic death could be a thing but then only for the returning of the emperor himself or anything like that.

I'd much prefer something cool happened with him, but i dont think the main studio have done him justice in writing or rules since 5th ed (amusingly, as it was the ward era). So I imagine if he's going to get any further good story it'll be in more excellent guy haley books. His rules will likely continue to suck - probably just a dull +1/+1 if he got made primaris, like they did with Mephiston.

Thats part of why someone new would appeal, maybe the new person wouldn't suck to actually use.

But yeah, i'm excited for saturday if nothing else, just for the fun of a stream. A live thread on the forum for peoples thoughts as it goes would be cool!

I'd much prefer something cool happened with him, but i dont think the main studio have done him justice in writing or rules since 5th ed (amusingly, as it was the ward era). So I imagine if he's going to get any further good story it'll be in more excellent guy haley books. His rules will likely continue to suck - probably just a dull +1/+1 if he got made primaris, like they did with Mephiston.

Thats part of why someone new would appeal, maybe the new person wouldn't suck to actually use.

But yeah, i'm excited for saturday if nothing else, just for the fun of a stream. A live thread on the forum for peoples thoughts as it goes would be cool!

I can imagine them killing Dante off, his age and longing for death being key themes over the last few book, but I don't think he will get the release he has been seeking. I can almost imagine a sanguinor Mk2 thing happening. It will give the BA a primarch equivalent without having to come up with some janky reason why Sanguinius came back. 

Was 8th edition dropped with a pre hyped mystery reveal day, or was it just dropped without fanfare and warning? For the life of me I can’t remember. I hope 9th comes this Saturday just to get all the rules back in one place but this seems a bit too soon.

I feel like the PA books are beds for testing new rules and mechanics and those haven’t been fully vetted due to the covid. That may push back any new edition methinks.

Will be interesting for sure!

I feel like it was hyped by the leaked pictures of primaris Marines and by gathering storm

They did a react video for Primaris Mephiston so who really knows what they think is worth getting people's mugs on film.

Yeah. The reaction video has to be for a model (no point doing it for “9th edition” as a ruleset can’t be that exciting and cause a shocking emotion worth to be recorded for a promo).

I’d say it’s very likely it’s going to be for a big model, probably the Silent King himself.

They did a reaction video for AoS 2.0's reveal.

A thought crossed my mind; since Celestine has been centerstage a lot lately it could be a prayer or quote from her to a larger group.

We'll see soon though.

I feel like the whole background for the fall of Cadia and Guilliman's return really set up BT and sisters as a unified faction. Sadly I think fingers have been burnt too many times to really believe it.

I am hopeful for a primarch return but it won't be Corax imo. I don't think Raven Guard are popular enough for GW to take the risk. Russ, sure, but there doesn't seem to have been much set up recently.

I feel like the whole background for the fall of Cadia and Guilliman's return really set up BT and sisters as a unified faction. Sadly I think fingers have been burnt too many times to really believe it.

I am hopeful for a primarch return but it won't be Corax imo. I don't think Raven Guard are popular enough for GW to take the risk. Russ, sure, but there doesn't seem to have been much set up recently.

Unlikely. Sisters had their full release. If anything BT could get a couple rules/ things to buff up the miserable "Supplement" last year.

I would not expect another loyalist primarch for a while. To steal the spotlight from Guilliman in this matt wardian future dystopia?

The suffering part completely kills any chance of it being astartes related, unless it really is a multitude of factions. I've yet to see why this is such a popular theory though...?

EDIT: stupid phone correct

Maybe the Templars still use the pain glove like the Fists do but they really really like it? Maybe they are reinventing  the Templars with more of a crazy flagellation we must suffer like the Emperor suffers kinda vibe?

I highly doubt it but if they did I would stop my homebrew Templars Lite chapter and take the black... 

Whatever is coming GW seem to think it will be big, I know they've contacted a few people asking them to record their reactions.

Are you one of the chosen ?

There is rumor going around now about incorporating some rules from new Apoc.

Edited by Black Blow Fly

When did they stop selling 7ths rulebook before 8th?

Codexes are staying valid supposedly so wonder if (the rare) people who bought a rulebook will get a voucher or anything this time?

They still sold templates in the month before 8th, because I bought a new set just before it was confirmed there wouldn't be any in 8th as the initial rules previews were coming like 3 weeks before IIRC.

When did they stop selling 7ths rulebook before 8th?

Codexes are staying valid supposedly so wonder if (the rare) people who bought a rulebook will get a voucher or anything this time?

They still sold templates in the month before 8th, because I bought a new set just before it was confirmed there wouldn't be any in 8th as the initial rules previews were coming like 3 weeks before IIRC.

Ouch. Templates not that expensive but still. Thanks

Whatever is coming GW seem to think it will be big, I know they've contacted a few people asking them to record their reactions.

Are you one of the chosen ?

There is rumor going around now about incorporating some rules from new Apoc.

I hope it's the alternate activation phase stuff

trust me I would love to see Russ return.

Ouch. Templates not that expensive but still. Thanks

Don't mourn, unless they've changed the sizes I can use them for Titanicus if/when I start!

I had a wee peer into the past, seems I missed the announcement - Spikey bits had posts in 27th April 2017 about no templates, not sure if that was a rumour however.

Edited by TootiusNootius

I was thinking about the Silent King, and the big mention.

Didn't someone around here talked about a vehicle to carry him around? Could be that. Or a big monolith to establish dominance.

I was thinking about the Silent King, and the big mention.

Didn't someone around here talked about a vehicle to carry him around? Could be that. Or a big monolith to establish dominance.

I think they mentioned the ark?

Saying he had a chartiot or something