BIG Preview Speculation

I think CP should be calculated based on the size of the primary detachment or faction in the army. So if you have 3 small detachments you won't get much, but one large one will generate more points.

I'd rather it be based on the size of the game (with some ways to gain bonus CP, like taking Guilliman), or like AOS does: you generate them every battle round.

What colours were the blurry primaris bikes? Blue with a big red floating thingy?? Think the box will be a 'fast attack' marine force vs slow footslogging Crons?? 

I assume the bikes would be countered by new Destroyers? Although saying that Dark Imperium had footslogging Deathguard vs Marines with a high damage deep strike unit.

I would think the Land Speeder would be an expansion release rather than being in the big box.

There's also the possibility of entirely new Necron units so we have no idea what to expect.

Pretty sure the Dark Imperium unit was Inceptors.

Marines with a high damage deep strike unit.

Yeah, that's them - I find these new marine names harder to remember than the Mechanicus names somehow ahaha.

It's all good. I'm a lore junkie. I mean I did a rather deep dive and speculative thing on the Emperor of Mankind a couple months ago just because I spend too much time mucking with the lore stuff.

"I'd rather it be based on the size of the game (with some ways to gain bonus CP, like taking Guilliman), or like AOS does: you generate them every battle round."

I like the first idea a lot. Easily getting 9-14 cp for 1500 point game is too much IMO

Plus basing it on points size cuts out CP farms and maybe things like taking cultists over Chaos Marines

Edited by Dark Shepherd

I'd rather it be based on the size of the game (with some ways to gain bonus CP, like taking Guilliman), or like AOS does: you generate them every battle round.

[quote name="TootiusNootius" post="5525291" timestamp="1590134027

I like the first idea a lot. Easily getting 9-14 cp for 1500 point game is too much IMO

Plus basing it on points size cuts out CP farms and taking cheap troop choices for the sake of it

It would fix one of the problems with the game as well, though it doesn't address melee (we really need a kind of Melee version of Overwatch for when units fall back), nor does it fully balance the rest of the game, but it's a start.

Yeah, that's them - I find these new marine names harder to remember than the Mechanicus names somehow ahaha.

Damn, are you seriously saying that you have a hard time remembering the difference between Intercessors, Inceptors, Incursors, Infiltrators, Invictors or Impulsors? (:teehee: )

Edited by Sandlemad

Damn, are you seriously saying that you have a hard time remembering the difference between Intercessors, Inceptors, Incursors, Infiltrators, Invictors or Impulsors? (:teehee: )

I never had an issue with it, but don't ask me what day of the week it is or when my birthday is and expect a snappy answer.

[quote name="TootiusNootius" post="5525291" timestamp="1590134027

Plus basing it on points size cuts out CP farms and taking cheap troop choices for the sake of it

It would fix one of the problems with the game as well, though it doesn't address melee (we really need a kind of Melee version of Overwatch for when units fall back), nor does it fully balance the rest of the game, but it's a start.

Something along the lines of roll a d6 and on a 5+ the unit gets to fight once as if it were the fight phase. Or the unit can have an attack of opportunity (a la DnD) with a -1 to hit? 

I think that having only detachments from a single keyword (the biggest fraction of the list?) provide CPs would be a nice fix for soup.
All three of your detachments are guard? All three give you CPs. 
Your primary detachment is Knights, but you also have a guard battalion that serves as a CP farm? Only the Knights one gives you CP

This could also require changing the number of CP some factions get per detachment, it would allow more granularity (eg: a Guard battalion is worth 3-4 CP, a Custodes one 5 CP).

Falling back for vehicles definitely needs to be addressed

Some of leadership (based) test where you can lose models by falling back and/or you have to be able to move more than 3' away or models that cant are destroyed?

It definitely needs addressing in some fashion.

As do other things. Like Guilliman's inability to climb the stairs in Ruins or how swarms can move block knights.

The game is good. With well balanced match ups it's even great, but it's not perfect and if they're honestly updating the rules I'm all for it.

I don't expect a 9th ed though. I'm expecting a 2.0 launch that starts the next story arc for the setting. Like they do with AoS and Warhammer Underworlds and I've heard rumors of them doing it in Warcry as well.

I think that having only detachments from a single keyword (the biggest fraction of the list?) provide CPs would be a nice fix for soup.

Your primary detachment is Knights, but you also have a guard battalion that serves as a CP farm? Only the Knights one gives you CP.

This could also require changing the number of CP some factions get per detachment, it would allow more granularity (eg: a Guard battalion is worth 3-4 CP, a Custodes one 5 CP).

It still promotes MSU and detachment spam and doean't punish monofaction lists who are already seeing buffs for going monofaction.

Your primary detachment is Knights, but you also have a guard battalion that serves as a CP farm? Only the Knights one gives you CP.

It still promotes MSU and detachment spam and doean't punish monofaction lists who are already seeing buffs for going monofaction.

Yeah, it would simply be a fix for soup. 

Generating a certain number of CPs per turn could work as well, but the issue here is in the stratagems themselves. Certain armies have core mechanics locked behind them and require CPs to work as intended, while for others the available stratagems are more like a cherry on top of what they already have. 

That said, an update to the core rules that consolidates all those FAQs and erratas would be welcome. But it will inevitably spiral out of control again as time passes and new mechanics are introduced to the game. 

I'd settle for a relatively simple updated version of the game and new awesome Necrons models.

Will the reaction video be showed today? We might see something on the reflection of their eyes.

They better tease something proper, because I have little interest in seeing random dudes hyperventilate about stuff we cant see.

They'll be cheeky with what they show for sure.

I think CP should be calculated based on the size of the primary detachment or faction in the army. So if you have 3 small detachments you won't get much, but one large one will generate more points.

So exactly how it works now then?
No. How on on Earth did you take away that meaning from what I said? Size does not currently determine the CP. You can have a 180 point battalion, or on that fills 2000 points. Both award 5CP.

I mean if your primary detachment is 2000 points you get 12CP. A Battalion is one detachment.

If it's 750 points it awards 4, as an example. Secondary detachments award less CP.

You are then rewarded for building a bigger, more cohesive force and not spamming multiple small battalions from different factions.

Edited by Ishagu

So exactly how it works now then?
No. How on on Earth did you take away that meaning from what I said? Size does not currently determine the CP. You can have a 180 point battalion, or on that fills 2000 points. Both award 5CP.

I mean if your primary detachment is 2000 points you get 12CP. A Battalion is one detachment.

If it's 750 points it awards 4, as an example. Secondary detachments award less CP.

You are then rewarded for building a bigger, more cohesive force and not spamming multiple small battalions from different factions.

I like this idea and it makes a lot of sense. At the moment the cheapest generic loyal 32 guard battalion generates as much cp as a blood angels battalion led by Dante and Mephiston or a black legion one led by Abaddon which doesnt make sense to me. Maybe giving people CP based on the points value of there largest detachment would fix this. Or 

The system I propose would be better for mono faction, elite armies overall and mono faction in general. It needs to be balanced correctly in terms of how many CP it would generate. Maybe 15/16 at 2k is a single detachment.

A new necron release seems the most likely one considering the recent Silent King video. I doubt it'll be related to 9th, and mostly just be a faction update or new box set with characters similar to Ghaz and Ragnar.

Outta left field, maybe, but Psychic Awakening has been hinting at an “Imperial Daemons”-type faction shaping up, so I wouldn’t be too surprised if that gets unveiled, either in lieu of or alongside 9th.

(I cannot usefully express how dumb the idea is, but I think that makes it much more likely, overall)

Imperial Daemons aren't dumb, they're called the Legion of the Damned. :teehee:

Edited by Volt

I personally think this In regards to command points.

Elite armies should have strats baked into the figures. Making them smaller command point requirements, also reflecting them not needing as many orders.

Swarm armies should have bucket loads of command points to show you need to micro manage untrained infantry.

I.e. grey knights only need 5-8 cp. Gaurd need 15-20.

I would also faction lock most strats to mono.

At the same time, encourage Lord's of war, by giving Lord's of war figures strats that effect all the soup.

Meaning soup armies can be jack of all trades master of none. While a mono could be master of using the spork but not the slingshot.

Edited by Triszin

which very much doesnt fit the current design paradigm for elite armies - and wont without changing all the codexes again straight away.

Ishagus suggestion wouldn't really help elite armies any more than swarm armies, all it would really do is reward running brigades, which does help mono faction armies at least, so thats kinda neat.

Command points being generated by heroes (primarly HQ, but perhaps certain elite ones too), with different heroes generating different amounts would make sense.... they're COMMANDING after all. Probably in a new hero phase like AoS.