BIG Preview Speculation

GW asking trusted partners to do reaction videos means to me it is either 9th edition or a Primarch returning. Maybe both. The lines about darkness between stars and Deliverance scream Corax to me. 

Got to agree with this... They wouldn't ask trusted partners to react to a release unless it really was something big.

Tinfoil theories time:

It will be Inquisition with both sisters and BT in starter, just like in Pariah trailer.

With the rework of detachments in 9th rulebook.

Considering how much GW experiments with formats it's not that unrealistic.

CDa9FNL.png

Um, those look like Ultramarines, not Templars there.

I dont think theyd do BT v Necrons for the starter box as theres not enough of a difference in the colourschemes.

My guess is that going forward the Necrons will have a brass/gold scheme like Szeras, which would serve to make them pop out a lot more next to the black/white Templars.

Both schemes are also easy to... ugh, reach a 'Battle Ready' standard, which seems to be GW's favoured form of tutorial these days.

I do think theyre going brassier for necrons but black/white/metal v black/metal/brass is still not disparate enough I reckon. And as Sarabando says itd be a surprise if they went with anyone other than Smurfa for their marquee starter box Edited by Dark Shepherd

GW asking trusted partners to do reaction videos means to me it is either 9th edition or a Primarch returning. Maybe both. The lines about darkness between stars and Deliverance scream Corax to me.

Got to agree with this... They wouldn't ask trusted partners to react to a release unless it really was something big.

They did a react video for Primaris Mephiston so who really knows what they think is worth getting people's mugs on film.

I mean, Ultramarines have been in less than half of the starter boxes from memory? 

2nd Blood Angels
3rd Black Templars
4th & 5th Ultramarines
6th & 7th Dark Angels (Same minis)
8th Ultramarines

Even the last few theyve only shown up once, I mean with the range back to basics it could be basically any chapter. Though id expect a first founding and if the Necrons are going Brass that rules out Fists and possibly Blood Angels as theyll want a clear colour contrast between the two sides. 

They did a react video for Primaris Mephiston so who really knows what they think is worth getting people's mugs on film.

Yeah. The reaction video has to be for a model (no point doing it for “9th edition” as a ruleset can’t be that exciting and cause a shocking emotion worth to be recorded for a promo).

I’d say it’s very likely it’s going to be for a big model, probably the Silent King himself.

If they pull off a Necrons Nagash-like model, a reaction video will definitely be appropriate.

I drooled over the new Illuminor Szeras, if they show me an even fancier Szarekh I’d definitely be happy.

I'm now starting to wonder if there could also be something big, 40K related, that isn't models.

We've seen a lot of stuff from StoryForge in the last couple of previews and the fact they want to get reaction videos might suggest we might actually get to see something.

Could be totally wrong but it would be cool.

I mean, Ultramarines have been in less than half of the starter boxes from memory?

2nd Blood Angels

3rd Black Templars

4th & 5th Ultramarines

6th & 7th Dark Angels (Same minis)

8th Ultramarines

Even the last few theyve only shown up once, I mean with the range back to basics it could be basically any chapter. Though id expect a first founding and if the Necrons are going Brass that rules out Fists and possibly Blood Angels as theyll want a clear colour contrast between the two sides.

Itll definitely be all generic marine units. Smurfs just seem to be the poster boys now. Its pedantic as sin but there were 3 starter sets in effect for 8th, on top of the magazine, and ETB sets, all with Ultramarines on them. It being 8.5 not 9th reinforces that.

B.A. a posibility though (going from leaked pics)

And what's wrong with the Ultras being on the cover? Their scheme is memorable, iconic and simple and they are synonymous with the brand.

As long as the models can be used by multiple chapters it isn't an issue.

Edited by Ishagu

Silver, you're probably right, although the other previews have lasted about an hour[+] so I can imagine the Storyforge announcements will be alongside something big, the Blood Angels project might well be a release to pull new players into the Blood Angels fluff for the release of a Imperium Nihilus story arch to co-inside with the Plague wars Guilliman is not quite done with yet.

I doubt they'd put Marines with fixed iconography in a starter box anymore [Not impossible though] - One thing I'd wish they had done with Dark Imperium is keep one shoulder off the model so that pads with iconography could be purchased and used with that box without some serious snipping of shoulders - But the blank shoulders unlike Vengeance makes me think they will avoid that in future seeing as it was depicting the war between the Ultramarines and Deathguard and didn't put the Ultima on there.

I can imagine DI has done incredibly well, getting many new people into the hobby and expanding peoples collection of the new Marine range cheaply. They'll almost certainly want to replicate this for future boxes.

It feels like something big is coming, and with Mephiston already being done I can only assume that Dante and maybe the Sanguinor [Azkaellon suffused with a fragment of Sanguinius' soul in a Abaddon kinda pseudo-Primarch style] might be coming alongside the new Necron releases and if not The Silent King himself some form of crazy-powerful herald of Szarekh.

Edited by TootiusNootius

Generic build id hope would be obvious, theyve done moulded on Chapters before and its an extra ballache im glad they dropped. Im hoping the pads are a bit more separate on these so you can add your own but thats really at the whim of the mould cutter program as i understand it :D  

There's always the chance the starter..

Had all in the picture.

A squad if sisters

A intercessor squad of Ultras

A ?? Squad of Templars

A Inquisitor

Necron spider person

Flayers

Troops

I'm.actially thinking this might be bthe box

Edited by Triszin

Neither UM nor BA fit the theme of Faith that's being touted around. UM are however in that one image with sisters, templars etc. That's all the justification gw needs to put them in the spotlight again

Not that I wouldn't like to see Templars come back but could that mantra have not just been in reference to the two Sisters animations in the works? The Suffering line especially screams sisters not Templars to me, also didn't Templars get rules in PA again?

EqYCK5y.jpg

yom3qHr.jpg

Both animations only have screenshots at the moment, so I assume they would be something they would tease before the showcase.

I don't seriously believe GW would ever make a starter set that wasn't Space Marines versus X.

Black Templars vs Necrons however isn't an especially iconic matchup, although it's possible GW don't really mind that (Dark Angels vs Crimson Slaughter, Black Templars vs Dark Eldar in 3rd, etc). It might also explain why GW held back on a Black Templar supplement since a whole new edition with which to market it would likely slip a few more quid in their pocket than at another time.

They tried to make Helbrecht vs Imotekh into a thing sense like 6th Edition.

Neither UM nor BA fit the theme of Faith that's being touted around. UM are however in that one image with sisters, templars etc. That's all the justification gw needs to put them in the spotlight again

Not that I wouldn't like to see Templars come back but could that mantra have not just been in reference to the two Sisters animations in the works? The Suffering line especially screams sisters not Templars to me, also didn't Templars get rules in PA again?

You seem to be under the impression that I'm expecting templars here. I am certainly not. I've been arguing this will be heavily focused on sisters for a couple of pages in this thread. However, if the theory that the Imperium side has multiple factions represented, marines included, pans out then GW has already shown that Ultras will present which will put them as the focus for the marine part.

BT is likely to be featured in lore, but not much else. (like in gathering storm, vigilus, faith and fury...)

i doubt they would move away from smurfs for any starter kit tbh

At first, I was like sure - but then I realised that Ultramarines haven't dominated starters:

1st: N/A

2nd: Blood Angels vs Orks

3rd: Black Templars (then new) vs Dark Eldar (then new)

4th: Ultramarines vs Tyranids, to save the pilot!

5th: Ultramarines vs Orks

6th: Dark Angels vs Chaos Space Marines

7th: (Dark Vengeance continued to be sold)

8th: Ultramarines vs Death Guard

That's actually only three starters with Ultramarines:

BattleForMacraggeBoxedGame.jpg

148675-Assault%20On%20Black%20Reach%2C%2

wxn4znb9kao21.jpg

Still Ultramarines are the staple of the setting (curse you 2nd edition Codex Ultramarines!). Accordingly, let's admire those non-Ultramarine starters:

Oh how beautifully radical was Dark Imperium (6th and 7th edition), after 2 Ultramarine boxes:

s-l640.jpg

warhammer-40k-dark-vengeance-6th-ed_1_89

And then way back to the 90s, with the simply gorgeous John Blanche cover of 3rd edition and its radical Black Templars inside:

warhammer-40000-40k-third-edition-3rd_1_

warhammer-40000-40k-third-edition-3rd_1_

Or even further back, to 2nd edition, with its cover image of Blood Angels fighting Goffs, but the reverse showing scandalous grey plastic:

Warhammer_40000_2nd_edition.jpg

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/b/bf/2nd_Edition_Set.jpg

Of course, this last was before Codex Ultramarines cemented the Ultramarines as standard.*

Finally, if we think of rulebook editions (ie those without starters), that refers to Rogue Trader (Crimson Fists) and 7th (Dark Angels), neither of which feature the famous boys in blue:

Rogue_trader_cover.jpg

File:40kRulebook7th.jpg

448px-40kRulebook7th.jpg

* Notably 3rd edition Codex Space Marines did attempt to move away from this on its cover, which alluded to Rogue Trader:

e6WUqmW.jpg

Inside also were quite copious numbers of art and models of Imperial Fists, Crimson Fists, White Scars, Dark Crusaders, Silver Skulls and other chapters - but the main studio army is a wonderfully 2nd edition Codex Ultramarines force and the painting guides are for Ultramarines too)

Unfortunately this did not carry on through the range, possibly due to Ultramarines being the studio army due to second editon's legacy of Codex Ultramarines.

Edited by Petitioner's City

I'd love to see a few new characters

maybe its the opposit and in the new timeline they kill each Marine who does not get a new model.

After 3 years they are optimistic that our community can hold their plan to replace all Firstborn.

That's very Space Marine generic.

After reading all the clues on the site, one is telling:

"We are raised to believe that the God Emperor watches over us all, and so we are charged to cleanse the mutant, the heretic, the alien"

It might be Inquisition, simply because I do not believe it will be BT, with the reference to God Emperor, faith, sword and wrath.

sad that each BT player think that way. But I think so too. 

Imperial Guard would be the hammer,

Faith and reference as a god excluding space marines except Black Templars

Sisters already had their release. Inquisition is too small... 

Everything would fit perfect except that GW is still GW and they have no love for BT.

The "God Emperor" references shuts down most of SM chapters.

Do GK worship the Emperor as a God?

No, only the Black Templar worship the Emperor, the other chapters that do worship him are barely a couple of paragraphs of lore so if it has to do with "Faithful Marines" then thats Black Templars.

for all well known  chapters this is true - but in the lore there are a few more who believe in the emperor as a god. Best known are the Red Scorpions .

(maybe the big 40k is a forgeworld release and each quote is from a different chapter FW has made new rules so far.)

I simply do not believe its BT.

Inquisition is my bet.

Or maybe each quote is a different thing.

which quote would fit?

Red Scorpions

Charcarodons

Howly Griffons

Marines Errant

Raptors

Lamenters...  

I don't seriously believe GW would ever make a starter set that wasn't Space Marines versus X. 

Black Templars vs Necrons however isn't an especially iconic matchup, although it's possible GW don't really mind that (Dark Angels vs Crimson Slaughter, Black Templars vs Dark Eldar in 3rd, etc). It might also explain why GW held back on a Black Templar supplement since a whole new edition with which to market it would likely slip a few more quid in their pocket than at another time.

Helbrecht (the highest ranked Black Templar has a clinch with Imothek (highest ranked Necron until the Silent king will return).

Imothek cuts off Helbrecht hand and Helbrecht destroyed his flagship in return. I think thats a massive rivalry

Edited by Medjugorje

I'd love to see a few new characters

maybe its the opposit and in the new timeline they kill each Marine who does not get a new model.

If it happens it happens, I'll be very sad to see Dante go as he's my favourite marine character (although I loved Tycho almost as much).

I'd still like to see some new characters pop up, if that means killing others, so be it.

You seem to be under the impression that I'm expecting templars here. I am certainly not. I've been arguing this will be heavily focused on sisters for a couple of pages in this thread. However, if the theory that the Imperium side has multiple factions represented, marines included, pans out then GW has already shown that Ultras will present which will put them as the focus for the marine part.

BT is likely to be featured in lore, but not much else. (like in gathering storm, vigilus, faith and fury...)

Do I? I honestly did not mean it as such.

I was simply pointing out that in the case of that specific tease I assumed they'd be teasing something that would be part of the showcase but not quite the main article. As Storyforge has been quite prominent in the other two previews despite not making up much of the actual showcase, other than the Blood Angels project. We haven't seen much else and have no dates - I'd imagine this would be one of the first announcements they will make during this upcoming preview, start it off with trailers of the two projects we know about but have no trailer for.

Edited by TootiusNootius