An Ancient Evil Awakens

NTaW

Looking at the supposed leaks for destroyers and such, it appears that reanimation protocols and living metal will largely remain the same. This obviously could be wrong, but if true it is a tad disappointing. One of the mechanics I do not like with our current repair rule set is the need for the enemy to wipe whole units at a time to deny the rule. Thus creating a need to always take a unit at max strength. And so you almost never see units in varying squad sizes. I hope my guess is wrong and the mechanic has further details or there is a rule/strat that could at the very least have one wiped unit a turn still attempt to rez.

I have the very same concerns about reanimation protocols being the last question mark on the Necron rework, and the issue I have the least faith in GW resolving. That said, reanimation could stay the same if the terrain rework has a huge impact on unit survivability or if GW gives us a strat to reanimate destroyed units for a CP cost. There are other changes afoot in the game that could have a big effect on Necron viability. It sounds like the moral phase is getting a big rework...maybe our LD gives us a big boost in avoiding the negative unit modifiers that have been hinted at?

If reanimation becomes one tool in the Necron kit rather than the entire kit, it could conceivably stay as is without large change.

Edited by Bonzi

At the very least, I hope to see a strat for our res problem. But looking at that silent king. If the rumors are true what a beast! Tanky as hell. effectively 34 wounds with so much healing. I know we are not seeing the whole picture yet, but I imagine that most people will just do away with the pillars first. There is a huge incentive to do so. knock out the c'tan powers, healing buffs, and wound re-allocation. Unless somehow you can bring pillars back...... but I hope he has a few more tricks up his sleeve. He has a lot of blackstone in his floating throne. I am hoping this means some anti-psyker shenanigans. 

Rules aside, he looks amazing!

Also we don't have the full picture of rules for 9th Ed.

He's going to be hard to kill and is only a portion of the force.

Personally, I'm hoping for toughness 9 on the monoliths...

I think T6/T7 is reasonable.

Did you guys catch the new rules for tanks? Makes Sautekh completely ineffectual.

Also helps Triarch Stalkers and Doom Scythes.

Makes a lot of rules/abilites across every faction useless. Heres to hoping they clean up old abilities by either removing them or changing what they do.

Seems that they are pounding infantry units to the ground.

I think every new rule previewed so far nerfed them in some way.

No longer needed for CP, receive more damage if they contain 6 models or more, can be shot at by tanks in close combat and still suffer the hit penalty on heavy weapons.

At this point, the only thing going for them are the new terrain rules.

Edited by Get Thokt

Seems that they are pounding infantry units to the ground.

I think every new rule previewed so far nerfed them in some way.

No longer needed for CP, receive more damage if they contain 6 models or more, can be shot at by tanks in close combat and still suffer the hit penalty on heavy weapons.

At this point, the only thing going for them are the new terrain rules.

yeah...but, (Not knowing the full extent of the new rules)  what if you had a Min unit of 20 warriors and your marine etc opponent was forced to flee from them...and you got some sweet rolls on "CUT THEM DOWN"... perhaps the SK and/or other support units from the "new" Necron army will bolster this kind of thing.... we can't predict the size of the Nerf bat yet without seeing the other end of it... just saying :sweat: 

Cheers, Mithril 

Certainly have that in mind. It isn't reasonable to draw conclusions how 9th ed will be played just from the previews so far.

We can only compare what we know about 9th to what we have in 8th. And if these previewed rules were implemented in 8th, I don't think anyone would play troops

Watching the reveal now, counted 10 weapons of each type on the Warrior sprue and they mentioned that there are undamaged head options as well.

Character with arm shooter is an Overlord and the character with gauss blaster is an [Overseer], it's mentioned he's a bit bigger than Warriors and will stand out among them or Immortals.

Edited by NTaW

There's a full article up on WC, here's the link:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/13/warhammer-40000-preview-whats-in-the-boxgw-homepage-post-1/

Overseer's title is Royal Warden and Cryptek is a Plasmancer with Cryptothralls, the latter being bodyguard for any Cryptek. Worth noting that the make mention of the Harbingers of Destruction which makes me think we'll see more Conclave representation moving forward.

Well I think it's safe to say the rules "leak" we got a week ago is false. All the names are wrong and the rules for the floating stalker don't match what they say this thing is supposed to do.

New overlord is rocking a new scythe and a tachyon arrow. Hoping the new scythe has either a shooting profile or that the tach is no longer one use only.

I think I’m in agreement on the “leaked” profiles being incorrect. Although there’s a chance that those names were what the play testers got to protect their copyrights on the official names.

My favorite part of the stream is where we found out what colours they used for the new dynasty. Essentially “we created new paint colours.”

Hallelujah praise the Silent King!

Everything shown today was awesome—I hope we get a look at the Reanimator’s rules this week. It would be neat to see what they put together for it.

But honestly though, Doomsday Blaster? It’s a Doomsday Cannon, thankyouverymuch, and I’ll keep calling it that until the profile proves they’re not the same weapon.

I count 20 heads per 10 Warriors, which is also nice.  With regards to the Doomsday Blaster, I'm hoping it has the same S/AP/D as the Cannon but a flat number of shots.  That would be very nice (if the cost is ok).

EDIT: Also interesting the Scarab swarms are just one big bit now.  The Scarabs are the only thing that doesn't really mesh well with the old stuffs, looks like.  Not sure I want to replace all my existing swarms, though.  I'll have to think about that.

Edited by Nemesor Tyriks

It's going to be a different weapon, though showing how shallow some spots in the name pool are for Necrons for sure. Gauss blaster and cannon meet doomsday blaster and cannon.

Anyone else almost expecting PA:Pariah to go up in either with or the week before 9th edition? The story seems to set it up so closely they have to tiptoe around it during the announcements for 9th.

I count 20 heads per 10 Warriors, which is also nice. With regards to the Doomsday Blaster, I'm hoping it has the same S/AP/D as the Cannon but a flat number of shots. That would be very nice (if the cost is ok).

10 with damage and 10 without as per the stream. 10 of each weapon which bodes well for those with existing Warrior collections but does nothing to confirm or deny mixed loadouts. I guess the pics all have them mixed but I'll believe it when it's official I guess.

EDIT: Looking closely at the Lokhust Destroyer shown today, the body bears the exact same battle damage as the one in the big picture with the Monolith in it (my desktop since release :tu:). Given the Skorpekh Lord's ranged weapon has been named the enmitic annihilator and it has the same design as the "heavy gauss cannon Destroyer" from the Monolith pic I would hazard a guess that one is the Lokhust Heavy Destroyer with enmitic exterminator while the one shown today is armed with the gauss destructor. I wonder what that means for heavy gauss cannon-toting Heavy Destroyers, or if we'll see another cult of Destroyer exist to explain the existing sculpts.

Edited by NTaW

Oh so much excitement.

Based on the big pic the only things not seen proper yet are:

Silent king

Ctan

Monolith

I'd also speculate we'll be getting multi part kits for:

Warriors

Skorpekh Destroyers

Lokhust Heavy Destroyers

Canoptek big walker thing

Exciting times!

Oh so much excitement.

Based on the big pic the only things not seen proper yet are:

Silent king

Ctan

Monolith

I'd also speculate we'll be getting multi part kits for:

Warriors

Skorpekh Destroyers

Lokhust Heavy Destroyers

Canoptek big walker thing

Exciting times!

Don't forget the spider eyed dude peaking from behind the Monolith in the teaser picture.