An Ancient Evil Awakens

NTaW

Speaking of the repair bot....

Today’s Warhammer article focuses on the Canoptek Reanimator.

[link]https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/15/indomitus-focus-the-canoptek-reanimatorgw-homepage-post-3/[/link]

To wit, it apparently gives +1 to all RP rolls to a SINGLE friendly Necron unit within 9” at the start of the command phase, til the next command phase, unless and until the next command phase begins or the unit moves out of 9” range.

Wishlisting: we get to roll RP at the end of every phase, making it more important to stay within 9”

Realistically: you get plus 1 to your roll, and if you want it next turn the reanimator has to follow your unit around.

Apparently it also has guns, which the article doesn’t elaborate on, and “ It’s capable of skewering any unfortunate Space Marines that mistake your support units for a vulnerable spot in your line” which to me means it probably has two or three S6 AP-2 D3 damage attacks, though hopefully at a decent weapon skill.

Very barebones article. Normally I don’t get too frustrated with GW’s drip feed but this is less of a drip and more of a very slow leaky faucet.

I'm wondering if they're taking the cap off of reanimation protocol bonuses, otherwise what's the point? This unit is basically a single target Cryptek that isn't protected by the character keyword. Why get this when a Cryptek does the same and gets you a 5++ or a d3 living metal repair as well? There has to be something more to this unit or how reanimation works now for this to be a relevant unit.

It’s only effects one unit, but the range is 3x that of the crypteks. I like it.

I’m gong to jump out on a limb and assume it’s got less then 18w, which means you can hide it behind obscuring terrain and buff up a shooting unit positioned further ahead. It also doesn’t say wholly within, so you can conga line back to it. Could free up a cryptek to babysit somewhere else.

Sad we didn’t get a weapons profile, as the last blurb made it seem like we were.

Points dependent, I may want 2.

Has anyone read the compete tripe article GW put out today.

Honestly, i have 0 respect for anyone who sells out like the writer did for this.

Basically its says:

1) A dynasty gives +1 AP when within half range...yea we already have this and it wasnt being run. The writer then goes on to say that our vehicles will now be better because of this rule. So yay, my DDA is now AP-6 when at 36" range, because AP-5 was just not enough and really was a big weakness to the DDA

2) The only half decent c'tan actually just got worse, but this is a good thing?

3) The doom scythe...with its D3 shots S10 AP-4 and D6 damage...is good for taking out units of space marines...because, it gets its flat 3 shots when shooting at units of 6 or more.

Here is a "tournament" player saying that the doom scythe is now great because it can kill space marines. Not Space Marines the faction, but T4, 3+ save, 1W space marines, and if they are running them in 6 or more (hint: nobody is running sqauds in units of 6 or more now, and perhaps the S10 Ap-4 D6 damage weapon should be shooting at vehicles you complete pillock)

4) The new necron weapon has a range of 14"...14, and its rapid fire. And this "expert" says this weapon will be cutting your opponents down in droves.

5) He also says that warriors have gone up to 12ppm, but dont worry, we will still be drowning our space marine opponents in droves. Just how much does a space marine cost now?

I am beggining to think that "1 squad of space marines" one of the devs lost from his SM list was a unit of 20 space marines with lascannons and melta guns everywhere lol

Edited by jgascoine011

Honestly, i have 0 respect for anyone who sells out like the writer did for this.

Basically its says:

1) A dynasty gives +1 AP when within half range...yea we already have this and it wasnt being run. The writer then goes on to say that our vehicles will now be better because of this rule. So yay, my DDA is now AP-6 when at 36" range, because AP-5 was just not enough and really was a big weakness to the DDA

2) The only half decent c'tan actually just got worse, but this is a good thing?

3) The doom scythe...with its D3 shots S10 AP-4 and D6 damage...is good for taking out units of space marines...because, it gets its flat 3 shots when shooting at units of 6 or more.

Here is a "tournament" player saying that the doom scythe is now great because it can kill space marines. Not Space Marines the faction, but T4, 3+ save, 1W space marines, and if they are running them in 6 or more (hint: nobody is running sqauds in units of 6 or more now, and perhaps the S10 Ap-4 D6 damage weapon should be shooting at vehicles you complete pillock)

4) The new necron weapon has a range of 14"...14, and its rapid fire. And this "expert" says this weapon will be cutting your opponents down in droves.

5) He also says that warriors have gone up to 12ppm, but dont worry, we will still be drowning our space marine opponents in droves. Just how much does a space marine cost now?

I am beggining to think that "1 squad of space marines" one of the devs lost from his SM list was a unit of 20 space marines with lascannons and melta guns everywhere lol

Agreed. I was riding the hype train hard just on how pretty the new models to come, but the two articles today for Necrons are insulting. GW has teased nothing to show what they've done to fix the factions problems. I know they have to limit the information, but these articles are actually showing things that reduce my excitement, not increase it. Edited by Bonzi

Yeah this article completely killed my hopes that Necrons are getting fixed. Why highlight a bunch of rules that are exactly the same unless not much is changing? Not a very convincing advertisement at all. At least I can watch prettier models evaporate from the table, I guess. Edited by Nemesor Tyriks

The writer is a GW play tester and a tourney man. I’m disinclined to acquiesce to his advice—I play Mephrit because it fits my dynasty lore, and also because it gives me access to a relic I quite like, but I don’t think it’s going to be a tourney-winning option.

Also, cool that the Death Ray is blast. Unless an opponent brought a 10-man squad of terminators or similar, why aren’t you shooting it at, you know, actual enemy armor?

Basically its says:

Agreed. I was riding the hype train hard just on how pretty the new models to come, but the two articles today for Necrons are insulting. GW has teased nothing to show what they've done to fix the factions problems. I know they have to limit the information, but these articles are actually showing things that reduce my excitement, not increase it.

Yep,

I have a big collection of necrons that i was just getting fed up with. 

They became very stale and boring to play, not very strong and not an awful lot of tactics. Was going to wait until PA dropped then if i still didnt like them i would sell them once 9th dropped. Them I saw necrons would be the evil poster boys of 9th and i got super excited.

Well i have waited bloody ages for our PA (is there even another army that is waiting for a PA, other than the ones coming in war of the spider?)

And now i have some of the rules, and well, they are not making me very excited.

The problems with the DDA or Doom Scythe was not its lack of AP (or its ability to kill a space marine you nonce) it was random shots, and random damage.

The doom scythe was even more prone to the randomness with its D3 shots

The problem with the c'tan was not that i could charge 1st turn if i went 2nd

It was that it had terrible powers and pretty poor in combat, especially as its part god

The problem with necron warriors was not that they were too cheap and guns were too long range but low S/AP

Putting them up in points and giving them the option for quite possibly, THE WORST GUN IN THE GAME THAT CAN BE TAKEN ON A UNIT, deffinetly does not fix them

Tell me something good

Tell me RP is done at end of each phase

Tell me i can deepstrike my units onto the battlefield

Tell me the tesla weapons get their arcing weapons profile back

Tell me a tesla DESTRUCTOR is not D1 Ap-

Tell me monoliths have got quantum shielding

Tell me a c'tan has like 8 attacks and the powers are much much stronger

Tell me DDA are not either god like plant destroyers in 1 round then guardmen lasguns the next

Telling me a Doom Scythe can fire its full 3 shots at squads of 6 or more guys is not updating a codex...its updating a rulebook

Maybe they are saving the best for later? Goading us with some "meh" stuff and saving some cool stuff later as a nice surprise? *ducks from stuff being chucked"

I honestly didn't expect an info dump with this article. It was a bit of a nasty tease seeing as it was a "faction focus", but we are also in a unique spot of having a new codex right around the corner so spilling too many of the beans won't be on the table yet. Other faction focus articles will be like this one, just giving some changes that we had a good chance at guessing at. 

14" on that Gauss Reaper is insulting to be honest. You can't even get into Rapid Fire range after using the Deceiver redeploy, as you'd be just over 7" away even if you redeploy exactly over 12" away and move 5" towards the enemy unit. 
The standard Gauss Flayer would deal more damage unless at crazy close ranges. Even at 7" range to fire twice, with a likely-to-be large unit on 32mm bases means that, more often than not, not even all models in the unit would be in Rapid Fire range but they would be 8-10" away. 

I'm not that excited by the rules I've seen so far. We'll probably get new rules with the Codex, as all the stuff that has been previewed is either completely new (from the Indomitus box) or identical to what we have now. Let's hope for the best.

I’ll add my 2 cents. As shown, the rules are exactly the same as what we already use. Nothing new there.

Warriors going up to 12, while only 1 additional point, definitely puts them in a terrible spot. Unless RP is changing. With the knowledge that blasts will kill hordes more there’s very little reason I can see to taking them. They already die in droves.

And the warriors new weapon is pure garbage. Same profile as the gauss blaster but a reduction of 10” range on a unit that moves 5”? No thank you.

If this was meant to be a hype article to sell kits, they may have just lost some sales.

Maybe they are saving the best for later? Goading us with some "meh" stuff and saving some cool stuff later as a nice surprise? *ducks from stuff being chucked"

I honestly didn't expect an info dump with this article. It was a bit of a nasty tease seeing as it was a "faction focus", but we are also in a unique spot of having a new codex right around the corner so spilling too many of the beans won't be on the table yet. Other faction focus articles will be like this one, just giving some changes that we had a good chance at guessing at.

That's very true...but this doesn't even tease or excite. If this guys words are the guide...GW doesn't understand what works and what doesn't for Necrons as a faction. Doom Scyths better at killing troops? Warriors are a staple unit? We lacked for CP?

None of that is really true or relevant. We have three to four crutch stratgems that we had to spam every turn, the rest were not worth using because the units that used them were poor. We spammed vehicles because our troops were awful and quantum shielding was our only source of durability. Our warriors could make use of a nasty short range gun...but they'll die before they ever get there. Also, why would I want that gun when Immortals carry a 24" version? I'm fine with limited information, that's not what we got. What we got was confirmation of how much hasn't changed and that's pretty deflating.

I hold out hope that there is much we still don't know that will affect our viability but my desire to but scads of new models for this faction has been really blunted. I'm regretting the one box split I've already agreed to beyond the box I'm buying for myself.

Oh don't get me wrong, the article was straight poor as hell. It really did not inspire confidence at all. The death ray was the FIRST kicker in the nads for me. Maybe everything can just be "ok" but please please please GW...do us right and tell me you changed RP in a positive way. 

Edited by Ahzek451

Also did the writer even had a look at the necron lore when writting that?

"The Necrons are an ancient machine race whose alliance with the godlike C’tan and mastery of hyper-advanced technology saw their civilisation rule the stars. Yet after a bitter conflict with the Aeldari known as the War in Heaven, the Necron empire was finally humbled. Now, after millennia of slumber, the time has come for the Necrons to rise up once more"

Hope they are not changing history yet again.

Totally agree with comments above. So far nothing exciting. I was hyped to use the new weapon on the new necrons warriors but the profile is garbage. Even with a deepstrike you won t be able to take advantage of the rapid fire before getting tied up in melee.

I hope the new repair spider thing will add something on top of crypteks (now I fear that they removed the RP bonus from crypteks alltogether).

And yeah more expensive necrons warriors might be ok at first (they said intercessors go 20) but the problem is as we all know as soon as a chapter approve will drop space marines will gradually decrease in points yet again when we might not receive the same treatment like always)

What if this article is about OLD codex? 
And all the rules are in the fancy 9th edition boxes just for aesthetics purpose and we'll see this for every other faction?
Realistically it's about 2 months before the codex drops and they won't spoil anything so early except the rules from Indomitus box.

Also I dont think changing the reanimation protocol to a feel no pain will solve our problems. Deathguard army can witness that a 5+ fnp is not saving you from death.

Our reanimation protocol that allow us to reanimate every turn is perfectly good for us. The problem is we can be denied any reanimation by having our unit wipped in one turn. What we need is a rule like auxiliary reanimation subroutine: once per game and per unit, when a necron unit is destroyed in the previous turn you can roll a dice at the beginning of your turn. On a 4+ a reamimation protocol can be attempted for all model in the unit but the unit loose the reamimation protocol for the rest of the game. On a 1-3 the unit is definitely destroyed.

I am not familiar at all with the current rules. (I haven't played a game since 3rd/4th). It's good to see the feedback here so I can understand why something is not good.

And all the rules are in the fancy 9th edition boxes just for aesthetics purpose and we'll see this for every other faction?

Realistically it's about 2 months before the codex drops and they won't spoil anything so early except the rules from Indomitus box.

This would be the best case scenario for sure.

This would be the best case scenario for sure.

They can't preview the new codex when they haven't even announced yet.

Well, at least there were no cases of such breaking of chain of events as I remember.

I can't even.... comprehend what was shown to us.

"Necron's deep bag of tricks"

You. Are. A spineless. Sell-out.

I hope this guy wasn't the one guy GW went to to playtest Necrons. He even got the rules wrong.

This gives me close to 0 hope that we'll see much of anything to improve what we currently have. No Dynasty rule updates, no improved datasheets, and close to pointless new weapons.

Will be a total joke if they kept Sautekh's current Dynasty trait.

Very, very disappointed on what was shown here, and pretty much have been since the Szeras previewed rule.

Looks like we'll be the Death Guard of 9th guys.

Edited by Get Thokt

I have a source who has seen the new codex who tells me this preview is not at all indicative of what we are getting. They said we might not be top tier but that they are confident I'll really like the book. So I guess I'll wait and see.

I have a source who has seen the new codex who tells me this preview is not at all indicative of what we are getting. They said we might not be top tier but that they are confident I'll really like the book. So I guess I'll wait and see.

Well that's a relief, I hope...I don't play tourneys anymore so being top tier isn't a worry....  but I'd still like to play a competitive game with my mates without having to make a Necron Cookie Cutter army and have the same boring (predictable) stuff in my army...

I believe that blurb today was just Filler for the sake of putting something down on the site...it didn't reveal anything new and also mentioned things 99% of us were aware of already.... 

Fingers Crossed :sweat:  for a better new Necron Codex...

Mithril

I'm hoping this isn't what we get in 9th. The fact that the article is intertwining current rules from 8th codex to what we are getting in 9th edition (Gauss Reaper profile) has me to believe that what we see in the article will prevail in our 9th codex.

We're getting new models, awesome. We are getting some good weapons (Skorpekh loadout), awesome. But I'm sure as many, like me, are looking at what is GW's fix to improving our core rule. Boosts to RP isn't what we need. We need defensive/counter boosts in some way to keep our guys from dying. This is the biggest issue for us. Something to make our RP count.