An Ancient Evil Awakens

NTaW

i cut all th rods off of my warriors guns but i kinda like this new look on them, perhaps i'll do some with and some without :sweat:

the Gauss look is pretty easy to get with white undercoat and contrast on these energy parts...

Mithril

Something has been throwing me off about the new Warrior models and I haven't been able to figure it out until now. Is it just me, or do their heads look a lot more bulbous compared to the current line of models? I swear the angle at which their cheekbones draw a line to the back of their skulls reminds me of the aliens off of Mars Attacks. Ack ack ack...

I see where your coming from but I think it’s the paint job that isn’t helping, perhaps When we get em and start doing them in our schemes they’ll look heaps better ;-)

...only a month to go !!!

Mithril

From the stream, it sounds like Szeras is the only new Necron-specific content in Pariah.

Given 9th incoming I'm quite OK with that. Still very interested in the story and missions presented though. I always appreciate some new campaign fodder.

From the stream, it sounds like Szeras is the only new Necron-specific content in Pariah.

I was planning on skipping the book because our new dex was going to be hot on its heels anyway but I'm disappointed to hear the whole book is a lot of nothing. A reprint of WD Inquisition rules and some characters is a big letdown. I'm glad to hear I won't be missing anything but it is a letdown for factions like sisters and Inquisition which could use some love as it's likely going to be a long time before they get the spotlight again.

I’m definitely picking up Szeras, but I’m passing on the Pariah book.

Fluff is nice. But zero unique ruleA (Szeras should be in our codex) and some battle field rules my group never uses aren’t worth the cost of admission.

The fact that we’re getting a good chunk of new kits and a new codex makes it an easy choice for me.

Szeras is £30 so whatever ork buggies are in your currency :smile.:

Oh that'd be $77 in Penal Colony currency... not sure I want to get him and a $70 book with one data sheet for me.... So sorry Szeras,you will have to be a Hard Pass Due to me saving up for the new Box of Necrons…

Mithril

I'll buy Szeras, even though I rarely/never field named characters, but I doubt I'll buy Pariah. Maybe down the road if a copy is still available but I don't want to miss out on some of the new models because I bought a book I'll likely read once and never open again.

The whole Pariah thing has been mildly disappointing; the coincidence in name had brought expectatives. Not to blame GW; they have a schedule which surely has been messed by the pandemic. And if we look carefully at it it's not an awful move on their part: Pariah is not a book just for Necrons but for all players, because of the battlefield rules, and specially for Imperial-Inquisition players. Definitely it is a niche which will welcome the book. Not that Necron players will have a huge disappointment because you know the new edition and codex are in sight.

And Szeras is a must.

Necrons getting the first 9th ed codex should have meant us getting an early PA book. We literally went through the entire edition without an update, aside from point adjustments and FAQs.

It makes us the only faction to get this kind of treatment. We can move forward and think about 9th, fine. But I sure do know well factions aren't treated equally, and up to this point, we have been served poorly.

I find it somewhat insulting that there is a Necron on the front cover of that book, knowing its contents.

Necrons getting the first 9th ed codex should have meant us getting an early PA book. We literally went through the entire edition without an update, aside from point adjustments and FAQs.

It makes us the only faction to get this kind of treatment. We can move forward and think about 9th, fine. But I sure do know well factions aren't treated equally, and up to this point, we have been served poorly.

I find it somewhat insulting that there is a Necron on the front cover of that book, knowing its contents.

It is irritating, but at the same time our army had deep problems that wouldn't or couldn't be fixed or patched by a simple PA book. They could have given us a PA book and the army still would have had serious underlaying problems.

A codex reboot is what we needed and that is what GW is giving us, though it remains to be seen if they will seize the opportunity to truly fix our rules. Rumors say yes and the new models are fantastic but we won't really know until we get our dex.

Bonzi, you really hit the nail on the head there. As much as it chafes "waiting for nothing" as it would seem just look at what's coming. 

A new Codex set in the new system with all the rules collated in one place. No need to buy a PA and Codex after, no need to sit and watch other armies get theirs released sooner.

13+ new kits, half the range refreshed with entirely new units introduced.

A central role in a current plot line and embellished lore surrounding the Silent King, state of the Necrons, and how all the new units fit in.

It's a pretty decent consolation prize. I expect there to be as much hand-wavium present as when Primaris were released but what can we do? This is GW after all :lol:

Yea kind of okay with this

Would hate to have to pay for rules when i would have to pay for another book in a few weeks time.

Really this is just stupid planning on GWs part. Necrons should have been the 1st PA book, then we would have bought that and then bought the updated codex a few months later.

Covid has hammered the schedule. I'm sure they didn't mean them to release this close to each other.

I'm looking fwd to the end of July.... new models, then soonish (hopefully) a new Codex...

New rules and again (hopefully) a new stronger more playable Necron army...

Excitement Building!!!...

Mithril

If they show off the rules for the battle zones and there's some good stuff I might buy it. But realistically I doubt my group will want to play them more than once or twice so it just doesn't seem worth it when I can buy new models and stuff in a few weeks

That background is cool. Echoes of the Sons of Horus/Black Legion, to a degree? The most prominent subfaction but loathed by the others for their past betrayal and entitlement, on the rise/return, has the grandest plan of any of their peers. Necron dynastic politics are fun, looking forward to seeing how Imotekh deals with this, either as a counterweight to Szarekh or, less interestingly, as a second fiddle Marneus Calgar type.

The art is also fantastic, similar landscape-level stuff to some of the AoS books. And there's the new codex cover.

4wXq1MFc5U7yDi2X.jpg

I'm tempted. Will have to see how the kill team rules are updated for the crons because with that new bronze paint, a small force could be cool.

I have to echo the comments about the art.  All of it is really top notch, and a welcome change from the somewhat repetitive usual art we get of legions of warriors with one character as the focus.  The second piece especially is amazing.

Edited by Nemesor Tyriks