the BIG 9th edition room

The generic litany Exhortation of Rage now gives +1 to wound to a unit within 6" of the Chaplain, thats another small change to make assault tastier and just buff a single unit and assuming none other litany is change with the Stratagem you could do something like +1 to wound, reroll to hit aura and +2" to charges, any unit would love to get all that in a turn but I think one of the biggest winners are Outriders, they get huge number of attacks so you can trade less AP for +1 to wound, then there's deep striking units like Terminators and Vanguard Vets which can now be affected by a Chaplain with the new Stratagem so you can just put them close to a Chaplain and give them +2" charges rerolling, the bump it even more with Frontline Commander so you only need a 6 to get to a unit that is 10" away.

This new Chaplain stratagem is just a great way to get small buffs that you may have taken before because they are very cheap, 1CP is not that much and using Grimaldus or a generic MoS is a must for an army that doesnt have other buffing characters.

... give them +2" charges rerolling, the bump it even more with Frontline Commander so you only need a 6 to get to a unit that is 10" away.

Canitle of hate rule sais that bonuses to charge, pile-in and consolidation moves of the litany are not cummulative with any other bonuses

Canticle Of hate

Edited by Shamansky

From WarCom:

"Meanwhile, the more diverse Chapters such as Black Templars, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, and Deathwatch now have downloadable PDFs that replace all their existing rules and datasheets. These are designed to get you by until the launch of your new codex supplements, and enable you to make use of all their named Characters and bespoke units alongside Codex: Space Marines."

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/ldTwb1v6UEhFAbdK.pdf

TL:DR = Neophytes are 14 points.... :down:

And the Black Sword and Sword of the High Marshal are flat 2 damage. The Black Sword also looks to be +3 strength so our champ will be hitting characters at strength 8. Our Crusader Squads also get the smokescreen keyword if they have any neophytes, which should be interesting.

And the Black Sword and Sword of the High Marshal are flat 2 damage. The Black Sword also looks to be +3 strength so our champ will be hitting characters at strength 8. Our Crusader Squads also get the smokescreen keyword if they have any neophytes, which should be interesting.

Not quite, they just moved the +1 Strength to the sword, and not the special rule. This is still a slight buff, as he's now strength 7 against everything.

But better news boys. Grimaldus is no longer a master of sanctity. (Which is good, because he wasn't in the fluff anyway.) But he can still recite two LITANIES! That means we can take Grim AND a master of sanctity!

From WarCom:

"Meanwhile, the more diverse Chapters such as Black Templars, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, and Deathwatch now have downloadable PDFs that replace all their existing rules and datasheets. These are designed to get you by until the launch of your new codex supplements, and enable you to make use of all their named Characters and bespoke units alongside Codex: Space Marines."

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/ldTwb1v6UEhFAbdK.pdf

TL:DR = Neophytes are 14 points.... :down:

Dare we hope...?

Grimaldus is no longer the Master of Sanctity by the looks of things and there is not text to stop the templar taking a Chapter Champion upgrade unless there is something expressly in the new codex itself.

Wording wise neophytes still count for access to special weapons in the crusade squad.

We have lost Knights of Sigismund it seems as well.

Not quite, they just moved the +1 Strength to the sword, and not the special rule. This is still a slight buff, as he's now strength 7 against everything.

But better news boys. Grimaldus is no longer a master of sanctity. (Which is good, because he wasn't in the fluff anyway.) But he can still recite two LITANIES! That means we can take Grim AND a master of sanctity!

From WarCom:

TL:DR = Neophytes are 14 points.... :down:

Dare we hope...?

He still has Sigismund's Honour, buffing his S and A characteristics by 1 against characters.

As much as I'd like to see the Black Templars getting a codex supplement, I wouldn't go so far as to say that GW has hinted that one will be published. They've simply provided the Index Astartes: Black Templars to update all of the rules that have been published (keeping in mind that the Black Templars had rules in the Psychic Awakening, and those need to be brought in line with the 9th edition changes).

The basic question (thoughts on the rules in the linked index) is still very much worth discussing, but it's unwise to jump to any conclusions about a possible codex supplement. Remember: Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Well, they did kind of heavily imply one was coming?

Not really. They generalised because all the other marines are getting supplements.

Look at the working at the start of the Black Templar FAQ compared to the others. The BT one says  "This document will enable you to wage war using your Black Templars-specific models alongside the units presented in Codex: Space Marines, as well as use a selection of other Black Templars rules that were published in Psychic Awakening: Faith and Fury.", whereas ones like the Deathwatch start with "Codex: Deathwatch will soon be replaced with Codex Supplement: Deathwatch, and will fully integrate with the latest edition of Codex: Space Marines.".

Edited by Banjulhu

Devout Push has been reworded to "That unit can immediately pile in", which means the way we've all been playing it is definitely RAI and should stick around. A part of me had worried that the F&F FAQ was an accident, where GW had reworded the stratagem carelessly, and thought they were only allowing us to get the consolidate buff in case the unit got into combat, but apparently the pseudo-HI really is how they want it to work, so cool.

We still have our version of Shock And Awe, despite the new version in the codex. I'm sure that won't be confusing.

They fixed the janky Chapter Relics wording for our Crusade Relics, so now there's no "technically, by RAW you can't take the Shround and Breviary in the same list" issue.

The Emperor's Champion now fights first if he's within range of a character, so that's a nice little buff.

The Cenobyte aura is not restricted to CORE, for some reason. Still very powerful for vehicles against Haywire. But now they're up to 20 points for the unit.

Even though I think this combo isn't really to be used in competitive 9th ed games anymore anyways, the strategy we used to employ to give Land Raiders and Repulsors a 4+ Invulnerable save and 5+ ignore damage no longer works. That litany only effect core units now and the invuln also only effects core units now. 

Like I said lets be fair, we weren't taking either of those now that 9th edition places such a heavy focus on objectives. 

I prefer having an official pdf to being stuck inside a book of heretics, even if the latter is a printed source. So even if it's all we get, I consider it a win? Admittedly, an extremely minor one.

That said, I'm still adamant that the only long term support that matters is a new model, any model, though I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Reinhard

Reinhard the way I see it we got half a starter box in model support. Bladeguard, and the associated close combat indomitus models may be able to be taken by other factions but everyone recognizes that they fit our aesthetic, and I'm willing to bet that box set has created more templar players than other chapter. 

Also, the super doctrine is an obvious mistaken omission. I don't play against the type of people who would say I don't get it because of that. 

Edited by SydonianDragoon404