the BIG 9th edition room

Brothers what do you think to MSU vs having larger units. Obviously buffs are more effective on big units. With two wounds per marine, do we need to run units of ten anymore?

I find large squads work better with primaris as most of their abilities are cp based, whereas msu tends to work better with firstborn.

But Grav Impulse is just a stratagem. The last opponent I faced had 3x9 repentia and one vanguard veteran like melee squad. 2 in reserves and one charge is save.

I could imagine it works better then it sounds, in tournament maybe if nobody expect such a list.

Was in the bath and a thought came to me. Using non-flying infantry we can tag Flyers with Devout Push, even if we cannot then actually target them with attacks in the Fight Phase. In fact doing so would allow a unit to hide in combat, especially if you combo with Tenacious Assault when opponent tries to fall back. You could never kill it though!

Would it be at all useful? I guess if the enemy has a particularly dangerous flyer you could tag it with something cheap. But it does feel a bit gamey!

Do they still have the rule that a flyer that can't move minimum distance is destroyed? If so, that combo would be hilarious.

Ah Aircraft can make Normal Moves even when within Engagement Range. They don't have to Fall Back so you can't apply Tenacious Assault.

So it doesn't really do anything except enhance the zeal of the battle-brothers throwing their helmets at the flyer.

I think they always made sense in terms of gameplay. But in terms of style? Incursors and Infiltrators not that much (maybe if we get anothrer lore for this units,... for me it would make more sense that sword brethren do things like infiltrate...). The Invictor suits fit perfect to our Knights I think.

What I really dislike, is the idea to field Phobos Marshals or Castellans.

I think BT leader are more like Frontline Commanders, Killy Knights or Fighting Priests. (Helbrecht, EC or Grimaldus for example)

Edited by Medjugorje

thats sounds more like the Astartes from Fenris.

In 4th edition Sword Brethren had the ability to "infiltrate". So it should be the veterans who are in phobos armor.

So what you're saying is we should paint all of our phobos units as sword brethren? Would save a lot of time not having to paint white shoulder pads!

I quite like that idea! Thinking of adding a small Phobos contingent. Phobos Lieutenant, 10 Incursors and an Invictor, giving the Lt Master of Deceit so the entire formation can redeploy. A nasty little forward assault, could be fun painting them up as spec ops Sword Brethren. 

In 4th edition Sword Brethren had the ability to "infiltrate". So it should be the veterans who are in phobos armor.

So what you're saying is we should paint all of our phobos units as sword brethren? Would save a lot of time not having to paint white shoulder pads!

I mean that sadly our lore is not worked out yet. We dont know if the Primaris units act similar to our codex counterparts or the structre is very different.

(codex complient chapters put newbies into phobos armor)

I mean that sadly our lore is not worked out yet. We dont know if the Primaris units act similar to our codex counterparts or the structre is very different.

(codex complient chapters put newbies into phobos armor)

Haha, sorry. I meant that as a joke, not as a serious question. Text doesn't come across well.