the BIG 9th edition room

Yea Tau have always been great marine killers but shutting down Dreads would put marines in a pretty desperate position.  Judging from DE and AdMech this might stand as the most ridiculous shooting army we’re gonna see in ninth. Strap in!

but I agree the inability to wound on 2s might actually be bigger than it usually is in most games. I think the no retreat on a 4+ Strat might be huge here. 

So, my FLGS is doing a slow-grow Crusade campaign, and I'll be bringing the Templars. The start is 25 PL, and I'm thinking of bringing this as my starter:

1. Primaris Marshall (Power Axe, Auto-Flamer) - 5 PL
  2. Primaris Crusader Squad (Power Sword+HBP on Sword-Brother, 1 Pyreblaster, 1 Power Fist+Heavy Bolt Pistol, 3 Chainsword+HPB Initiates, 4 Chainsword+HPB Neophytes)- 10 PL
  3. Primaris Crusader Squad (Power Axe+HBP on Sword-Brother, 1 Pyreblaster, 1 Power Fist+Heavy Bolt Pistol, 3 Auto-Bolt Rifle Initiates, 4 Carbine Neophytes) - 10 PL

Unsure if this is a good idea at all, but it's in the mindset of as much of a TAC basis as possible with only 25 PL. One of the players is bringing Orks and another is Craftworlds (and is a Wraith list....)

Also: Please remember, this is for CRUSADE not WAAC Tournament nonsense. I'm not looking for the most broken list possible, I'm just wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot even in a more casual setting by doing the mixing of Pyreblasters and Power Fists into the squads.

Edited by Gederas

So, my FLGS is doing a slow-grow Crusade campaign, and I'll be bringing the Templars. The start is 25 PL, and I'm thinking of bringing this as my starter:

2. Primaris Crusader Squad (Power Sword+HBP on Sword-Brother, 1 Pyreblaster, 1 Power Fist+Heavy Bolt Pistol, 3 Chainsword+HPB Initiates, 4 Chainsword+HPB Neophytes)- 10 PL
  3. Primaris Crusader Squad (Power Axe+HBP on Sword-Brother, 1 Pyreblaster, 1 Power Fist+Heavy Bolt Pistol, 3 Auto-Bolt Rifle Initiates, 4 Carbine Neophytes) - 10 PL

Unsure if this is a good idea at all, but it's in the mindset of as much of a TAC basis as possible with only 25 PL. One of the players is bringing Orks and another is Craftworlds (and is a Wraith list....)

Also: Please remember, this is for CRUSADE not WAAC Tournament nonsense. I'm not looking for the most broken list possible, I'm just wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot even in a more casual setting by doing the mixing of Pyreblasters and Power Fists into the squads.

I think your intuition on mixing Pyreblasters and Powerfists is right! Go two Fists in the choppy squad and two Pyre in the shooty. 

Edit: Or even... maximum fluff points. Go with the Marshal and a 20-man Crusader squad, full choppy, 4 Powerfists!

Edited by Brother Kraskor

I think your intuition on mixing Pyreblasters and Powerfists is right! Go two Fists in the choppy squad and two Pyre in the shooty. 

Edit: Or even... maximum fluff points. Go with the Marshal and a 20-man Crusader squad, full choppy, 4 Powerfists!

I contemplated the full melee (I even have a 20-man Crusader squad built with that loadout :laugh.:) but was worried I might have issues dealing with any sort of ranged force in the first week or so, as it's increasing (iirc) 15 PL every week.

So the Marshal and 20-man Crusader squad, full choppy, 4 Powerfists could faceroll if I get first turn on a small board, but I'm just trying to cover my bases

Edited by Gederas

It could faceroll... but then that's the joy of the Black Tide! :laugh.: What if you swapped the Marshal for a Chaplain with Divine Protection. He can keep the blob alive until you get into CC, and then swap out for Litany of Hate to provide even better re-rolls than the Marshal. A lot of lists won't have an answer to that blob.

Running any all-anything lists runs the risk of being hard countered.

well yea, but it is also thematic which is how I build almost every list. Basically, If almost everyone is riding a tank, I would want infantry units that can keep up like jet packers or bikes for characters. Just something that makes sense for me as I write lists, you know?

Their data certainly seems to indicate that templars are good. It's the fact that the gimmick is just more survivability and better primary scoring with push and obsec strat. There's some skew with the crusader build, but on the whole it's just well rounded lists that can actually pound up the table, soak damage, and hit back.

I do find it hard to put them in the same tier as a full iron hand or ork power build though. So I'd personally put it in the Medjugorje tier of "trash". But actually tier 2.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

With Helbrecht and a Master of the Forge we can push Redemptors to S16 (and 5A base). Throw in Grimaldus and they've got a 6+++, and he can put down re-roll hits aura. Worth it? Or is there simply not enough T8 out there to warrant this kind of mutilation. :laugh.:

I think I've just spotted something...

Accept Any Challenge: +1A, but not cumulative with Shock Assault

Honour Vehement:  +1A, but not cumulative with Shock Assault

But nothing stopping the two from being cumulative with each other! 

Imagine dual Claw termies with 6 attacks each, Deep strike in with a Chappy with Honour Vehement, he drops re-rolls to hit Litany. 

Theres two big problems with that combo.

The first is giving up ancient breviary or tannhausers on a chaplain. The second is being stuck in combat with that vow. It's honestly probably better on a captain if you're not taking helbrecht; advance with the main bit of your army and potentially buff your brick and maybe a dread or two.

Theres two big problems with that combo.

The first is giving up ancient breviary or tannhausers on a chaplain. The second is being stuck in combat with that vow. It's honestly probably better on a captain if you're not taking helbrecht; advance with the main bit of your army and potentially buff your brick and maybe a dread or two.

Yeah agreed not the most optimal holder of the relic, was just an example. The main thing I am getting at is we can buff a lot of units with +2A, and it works in every round of combat. Being stuck in combat with your combat units is a win to me!