the BIG 9th edition room

Just noticed the Marshal can take a plasma pistol and powerfist, the latter which can be upgraded to the relic powerfist. Seems tasty…

The Relic bearers are for Infantry & Bikers excluding Characters, so he can't take Fist of Balthus.

Question: Holy orb does not count as a grenade or any other type of weapon, correct ?

In other words there is no problem:
Advancing and throwing? 
Throwing while in engagement range of enemy?
Throwing and firing a weapon?

Edited by Hoffa

We had a discussion about it in this thread a while back me thinks, back when it was first previewed on warcom. If the book version is the same as on warcom (which unfortunately, we should check...) it doesn't say anything about being a grenade. We found out you can even throw it at a combat that the guy holding isn't even in, just to get the fights last going.

Rules for Holy orb is as follows:

Once per battle, in your Shooting phase, you can select one enemy unit that is within 6" of and visible to this model.

• Roll one D6: on a 2+, that unit suffers D3 mortal wounds.
  • Until the end of the turn, that unit is not eligible to fight until after all eligible units from your army have done so.

Holy orb lacks a weapon profile, which makes the only possible reading (that does not add anything that is not there) that the Holy orb is not a weapon and using it is not an attack (as attacks are made with ranged or melee weapons). Therefore the only rules that can be used for it are the ones in it's description quoted above.

So throwing into combat, throwing it after advancing or throwing it after firing weapons must all be ok. 

I admit this feels weird and that the Orb really feels like it should be a grenade but it would require an errata by GW to make it one.

Edited by Hoffa

Always uphold against DG. With -1t contagion, many DG weapons wound you on 2s.

i never saw any situation where Uphold is not the best option. Not even against Psyker armies.

You also thought the new book was garbage and that it wasn't as competitive as the previous version. 

You just literally don't get much value from Uphold against thousand sons. Maybe your non-brick units against scarabs. Super niche, far less good than abhor.  

That would be some throwing arm!

I don't know whether 50pts is worth paying to have a little Orb rocket, especially as the opponent can just kill it at range. 

Edit:

The rules state the range is 6".

Yes, and attack bikes move 14", can advance up to 6", and then throw the orb another 6".

With Turbo-boost it's always 6" Advance so guaranteed 26" overall. 

Edited by Brother Kraskor

well, it does ignore invuln so that one shot is gonna hurt.

Buuuuuut uphold will make it wound on a 3+ for most of our vehicles instead of a 2+, and we will have protection from mortal wounds on a 5+ so the extra damage can be blocked. plus, we can pop smoke on vehicles that have it!

I for one am sick of tau, so this makes me salty

Edited by Tiger9gamer

well, it does ignore invuln so that one shot is gonna hurt.

Buuuuuut uphold will make it wound on a 3+ for most of our vehicles instead of a 2+, and we will have protection from mortal wounds on a 5+ so the extra damage can be blocked. plus, we can pop smoke on vehicles that have it!

Yeah we are actually probably one of the safest Chapters for these exact reasons. One third of the time they will fail to wound our Dreads (and that's provided they don't fluff and miss in the first place). And if you put Grimaldus down, they will ignore a 6th of the wounds anyway. 

It's going to be nasty and a priority target but nowhere near as tough as our Dreads - we can roll with the punches, filthy xenos armour cannot.

Edit:

Boys what we going to do about this new rail gun insanity? I just built two dreads last night lol.

This made me laugh! :laugh.:

Edited by Brother Kraskor

I can’t even begin to understand the reasoning behind geedub’s decisions regarding the OP rules they love to flaunt. And to think people were upset about a flat damage 2 flamer…

To sell models of course! 

Tau are only active in one phase. They don't get psychic or assault phases really so they need to shoot well.

It's only one shot!

Agreed. I wonder if this profile will apply to their battlesuit railguns as well. I'd suspect yes but then no Submunition stratagem for them so maybe not worth it.