the BIG 9th edition room

I don’t really care about Deathwing. We’d be better served what makes our terminators superior.

Good to see firstborn still competitive, that's a cool DA list.

Many of the most competitive units are firstborn so it’s really no surprise.

so silly question but may as well ask cause I have both built and magnetized. I think I am going to go for more toughness on my heir of sigismund captain than raw attack power, as if he stays around long enough then he could do some work, and if he charges into something with another squad, then he could either soak up an interrupt or character attack.

what would be better for a weapon? can have him with both a relic blade and a thunder hammer, but trying to decide which one would be best is a little confusing. his upgrades are going to be tanhouser bones, storm shield, Iron resolve and Master of arms. (so a 2+/4++/6+++ only taking 1 damage at a time). mainly caught up on the -1 to hit and the low ap on the thunder hammer.

(yes I know common parlance is tanhouser's bones on a biker chaplain, or take a special character like helbretch, but I want my custom commander living because that's how I have fun, so please answer the question if you do!)

Edited by Tiger9gamer

so silly question but may as well ask cause I have both built and magnetized. I think I am going to go for more toughness on my heir of sigismund captain than raw attack power, as if he stays around long enough then he could do some work, and if he charges into something with another squad, then he could either soak up an interrupt or character attack.

what would be better for a weapon? can have him with both a relic blade and a thunder hammer, but trying to decide which one would be best is a little confusing. his upgrades are going to be tanhouser bones, storm shield, Iron resolve and Master of arms. (so a 2+/4++/6+++ only taking 1 damage at a time). mainly caught up on the -1 to hit and the low ap on the thunder hammer.

(yes I know common parlance is tanhouser's bones on a biker chaplain, or take a special character like helbretch, but I want my custom commander living because that's how I have fun, so please answer the question if you do!)

I would stick with the Relic blade as there is a fair few ways to ignore ap 1 and 2, also with the rerolls not affecting the captain the - 1 to hit hurts more. But the Relic blade would struggle with - 1 damage abilities. So it really would depend on your meta and what you think is cooler.

A very solid character either way you go with 6 attacks on the charge and a pain to kill. What's you plan with the captain in your army, walking with troops or in a transport.

Edited by ChargingSoll

I would stick with the Relic blade as there is a fair few ways to ignore ap 1 and 2, also with the rerolls not affecting the captain the - 1 to hit hurts more. But the Relic blade would struggle with - 1 damage abilities. So it really would depend on your meta and what you think is cooler.

A very solid character either way you go with 6 attacks on the charge and a pain to kill. What's you plan with the captain in your army, walking with troops or in a transport.

I plan on having a chaplain to assist him whenever possible, probably with the adamantine mantle or aquilla imortalis, so re-rolls are not my biggest issue with the thunder hammer but I do see your point with everything else. I do want him to be a character hunter though, and already faced Death guard with their disgusting stuff. it's a toss up for me, but that's why magnets exist!

I also magnetized his back pack so he could be a jump packer or in a LRC, with an equally interchangeable  vanguard vet possy (champion of the feast w/ belthas fist, x7 LCs and x2 Thunder hammers, all with Shields). if he's walking I may make him a chapter master just for the re-rolls on everything, but I may spend points elsewhere too. 

I think I will have to report back on this sometime, as I am waffling on which piece of wargear to take. All I know is that if I want Bathe your blade as a secondary than having your warlord survive 1 round of combat would be a good thing!

and with my christmas present coming I believe I officially have a 2k 40k army!

"Is it a good army?"

I have a 2k army!

seriously though, quite happy I have enough to play a couple variations of my black templars, both with a tank focus and without! gonna have some fun I hope... or at least not get stomped by a superior list

Also, anyone with the sword bretheren kit, how many right handed power swords are there in the kit? just planning out my bladeguard conversion for them.

Edited by Tiger9gamer

I think I will have to report back on this sometime, as I am waffling on which piece of wargear to take. All I know is that if I want Bathe your blade as a secondary than having your warlord survive 1 round of combat would be a good thing!

"Is it a good army?"

I have a 2k army!

seriously though, quite happy I have enough to play a couple variations of my black templars, both with a tank focus and without! gonna have some fun I hope... or at least not get stomped by a superior list

Also, anyone with the sword bretheren kit, how many right handed power swords are there in the kit? just planning out my bladeguard conversion for them.

3 right handed swords, 1 left handed and 1 two handed.

You also get the combi plasma, power maul, power axe (other side then the crusader squad), twin lighting claws and thunder hammer that uses both hands. You also get 5 chainswords aswell but uses the same arms as the power swords. You also get 7 black templar helmets, combined with the crusader squad and upgrade sprue they are 12 different helmets not including the crusader helm.

You also get 5 sets of sword brethren shoulders and one set of the liutenent bulky shoulders.

They also all have the module back packs to put the attachments on like the crusader squad sword brother.

I have 2 boxes of them and just trying to determine how arm them, thinking everyone with power swords but one with a thunder hammer and champion of the feast to set him apart, maybe even giving him the bulky shoulders.

Just glad that there is a box for a ton of power swords for primaris rather then the dark angels upgrade sprue and the assault intercessors sprue.

Edited by ChargingSoll

"Is it a good army?"

I have a 2k army!

There are more than enough swords so don’t worry about it.

Well that's not entirely accurate? Sure, there are five swords for five models, which is "just enough" rather than "more than enough". But also one of the swords is two-handed, so used as is the model will have to have the shield on its back or such like some of the full BGB kit's models can be modeled like, and also one is of course a left-handed sword so you gotta have a right-handed shield with it, barring hand swaps and the like. Given he was specifically asking about right-handed, there's only three one-right-handed ones. So it's certainly something to be mindful about when planning the models.

If you are planning to have a Chaplain around for re-rolls to hit I'd say go Thunder Hammer! Once you hit Assault Doctrine the AP improves anyway, and the sort of stuff he'll be going after will doubtless have Invul saves.

Edit: I wonder if Centurions have a place with our innate 5++. 3 Assault Centurions with Bolters and Meltas + a Primaris Chief Apothecary could form a nasty outflanking element, happy to operate independently as no Core keyword for re-rolls. 

Edited by Brother Kraskor

Apothecary should always start the game with your center bunker blob.

No matter whatever equipment or chapter selected, ass centurion need to make the charge rolls on their arriving turn, to be valuable. For BT that is a rerollable 9. It is not easy.

Apothecary should always start the game with your center bunker blob.

No matter whatever equipment or chapter selected, ass centurion need to make the charge rolls on their arriving turn, to be valuable. For BT that is a rerollable 9. It is not easy.

Only if you don't have Grimaldus there. :wink: But yes I guess point taken re: making their charge. Though the mind games of them being in reserve could help funnel the opponent away from the centre perhaps.

Well that's not entirely accurate? Sure, there are five swords for five models, which is "just enough" rather than "more than enough". But also one of the swords is two-handed, so used as is the model will have to have the shield on its back or such like some of the full BGB kit's models can be modeled like, and also one is of course a left-handed sword so you gotta have a right-handed shield with it, barring hand swaps and the like. Given he was specifically asking about right-handed, there's only three one-right-handed ones. So it's certainly something to be mindful about when planning the models.

Honestly that was my biggest thought process behind asking yea. I am already a slave to pop goes the monkey for all these bits, so why not buy 5 more Templar shields from them? Gonna have to attach one shield  to a guy’s back, but instead of one left handed weapon I think I will use the sword of judgement on him to make him the squad leader. Maybe in the future I can make a judicar out of something from the sword brothers kit as well, but for now I think I will be content with just them and maybe a lieutenant.

Gonna be using my thunder hammer captain most of the time I think, but if I want a captain to ride around with a sword brother impulsor I am gonna have to think of something good for him too. My only problem with primaris captains is that I can’t customize them as much… it would be awesome if I could give a captain the same load out as the regular captain instead of trying to speck for defense or offensive

S I G I S M U N D get his own book about his complete life.

gonna pick that up for sure. I like how he is getting his own primarch novel before dorn does too (he basically is a primarch to the BT, lets be real)

gotta say I am excited to be getting my VVets done. I am almost done with the first five, and going to move on to the second five and the captain of the force. Then may finally tackle my  crusaders...

or work on  terminators instead. Dunno why but I love painting veterans more than regular initiates or primaris

Also... I need to get my hands on that new HH captain and templar him up, cause holy carp that model is fine. I may have to get two of them just to have one for BT and one for Imperial fists (A lot of money but I can dream)

And, this is also great news for us Firstborn commanders. GW is still releasing and making them, if only for the HH!

Edited by Tiger9gamer