A small Astra Militarum army.

Inso

• 3 weeks later...
In other news... five Lasgunners today :) :

uuWzbmj.jpg

Just four more Lasgunner conversions and three more Comms Trooper conversions to go and that is the original list finished :) . I can't start on those until I get some casts of the previous batch so it looks like I'm having a short sculpting break :) ...

• 1 month later...

Well... for now... the sculpting is finished...

Here are the last four standard Lasgunners:

lpYFvdd.jpg

... and here are the last three Comms-Troopers:

WbRodVK.jpg

That officially finishes up the "Army Project". Now all I need is to get the casts back and I can do a bit of arranging before I get to grips with the painting side of the project. 

This project has taken 16 months and has created 41 miniatures with an additional 4 separate heavy and 4 separate special weapons to go with them. Here is a collage (minus the separate weapons):

https://i.imgur.com/M9jchwD.jpg

This isn't the end of my sculpting for this army but it is the end of the 'basic trooper' sculpting part (every basic Astra Militarum option apart from a sniper... but I don't need a sniper because I have my Ratlings :)  ). At some point, I plan on adding some advisors, engineseers, servitors and maybe some auxiliaries but before I do that, I think I need to sit down and get some painting time in for a bit of a 'palette cleanse'.  

• 1 month later...

Cheers :) .

I've had the latest batch of casts back now :) :

Dk4mPxp.jpg

They've been washed, cleaned-up and based but I just have a few bits to repair and the barrels to drill before I can paint them :) .

Also, I've sent of the last batch of minis for casting so they'll be sorted soon :) .

@GreenScorpion - I am hoping to start painting soon :) ... but I'm thinking that I'll wait for my last batch of troops to arrive before I can start painting in earnest. That way I can sort them into platoons and get their marking right, as I go :) .

@ Warbringer - Thanks :) . A lot of the sculpts are available from Macrocosm Miniatures but not all of them yet. I expect that there will be another Kickstarter (or two) in the near future so that people can get their hands on them :) . 

All the troops are now gathered together :) ... the ones on the left are painted, the ones in the middle are primed and the ones on the right have had a rough base-coat applied:

ggwC9YY.jpg

I still have another batch to add (about 25 troops) and then, once they are prepped and primed, I'll start painting in earnest :) . The army is set to be made up of 100 infantry models. In the long term, they will be mounted in four Storm Lord proxies... but I will worry about scratch-building those once the troops are all painted and organised :) .

It's all getting closer to being finished now :) .

• 1 month later...
It's been quiet here... mostly because I've done very little sculpting recently... so in a bid to change things, I decided to have a bit of fun and convert a miniature... and it's going well (converted and partly painted) but I want to keep it secret until it's finished.

However, while I was converting the "secret" miniature, I ended up with some extra putty and decided to make a stand in for ME in the army. This will count as an Astra Militarum Advisor (Air Force) :) :

YyEneYN.jpg

Seeing as I am STILL waiting for the last of my troops to arrive... I thought I'd need a more substantial distraction to keep me entertained... so I have dug out the first of the super-heavy transports to play with. This will act as a proxy Storm Lord... and since the photo was taken, I have started to fill in bits and bobs with some green stuff (like contouring the window frames and filling the top, rear wall)... so I haven't taken any further images because there really isn't that much visible progress... anyway... Storm Lord proxy :) :

XnKsmSK.jpg

I was going to use it for my other Squat army but I decided that it would be of more use in this one :) . It's base is a 1/35th scale German Panther :) .

• 3 weeks later...
The last of the sculpts have arrived and they have been cleaned, based and primed :) . As a result, here's the whole company, ready for organising into units and then painting :) :

vZawFep.jpg

It's taken a long time but I've finally got the army together :) .

These models have always been amazing. Have you ever considered setting them up as STLs to sell and download? I know you work mostly with physical sculpting but there are ways, I think, to scan such things. I, for one, would be terribly interested in a squad army based on these models.

A nicely sized army. I am certain they will look extremely nice when painted :)

These models have always been amazing. Have you ever considered setting them up as STLs to sell and download? I know you work mostly with physical sculpting but there are ways, I think, to scan such things. I, for one, would be terribly interested in a squad army based on these models.

Unfortunately most affordable scanning methods don't work that well for small objects like miniatures. While there are ways to digitalize things with such small details, it is typically something of industrial grade, not something a hobbyist would be able to get access easily.