Another week has gone by and I've been totally side tracked from the Warhound titan! Instead I've been fiddling around with Blender and doing more 3D prints - love tinkering with the thing and am amazed with each round of prints how much detail it's able to capture. 

Been getting some practice with the 3d software by making some of my own Horus Heresy era Blood Angel shoulder pads. Nothing good is available online from what I've seen and though I do have some FW versions, I don't particularly like them too much. I ended up take a picture of the HH BA icon from the FW transfer sheet and then bringing that into Blender to make my own 3d model. Once done, I transformed it onto blank shoulder pads I got from here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3875032 

Here's how things looked in Blender:

dnIZQXP.png

Printed plate full of Mk2 pads (and one nameplate that I had misspelt from a previous session):

QhrxzmH.jpg

One pad with a quick hit of black primer: 

PH7Xvav.jpg

The layer lines do appear in these close up photos but to the naked eye they're not noticeable at all!

Also did the rest of my captains and elites with name plates. Here's a shot of the dreadnought army:

aBjQJ65.jpg

Edited by eggroll

Lovely dreads!!!

I'm wondering if hitting the pad with a varnish would help smooth-out the surface?

Thanks Majkhel! Not sure if varnish would do much as it’s suppose to be transparent. I think the only thing that might helps is a thicker layer of primer but that would hide details. I might go back and try and printer them at a smaller layer height. I think the Mars 2P goes all the way down to 0.01mm. The ones I’ve been running have been at 0.025mm so definitely still room for improvement.

Very impressive!

Thanks Spyros!

Really fantastic work, the shades and gradients of colour are very well done. The printing work is really cool too, interesting to see what can be done.

Thanks Pearson!

• 2 weeks later...
It's been a few weeks but I've finally shifted focus back to the warhound. Had a good paint session over the weekend that saw the completion of all the interior details and shading, followed by a gloss clear coat and then decals. Once the decals have fully set, will start working on the weathering and battle damage before sealing it all in a matte varnish and calling it done. 

Snapped these two more WIP shots of the progress so far:

jtWOmp5.jpg

nMqIP7j.jpg

Weapon arms were stolen from my Lucius Warhound I finished a few years back that had the 4 various weapon options - 2 of them will be repurposed for the Mars once everything is finished. 

Stunning piece, great work!

Are you planning on weathering him, like the weapons are?

Thanks Majkhel! Yes, I'll be doing the same weathering I've done to my past titans which is just a sponging on some "battle damage" followed by oil paints for the staining/rust effect. 

Really impressive work, the heat stains on the flamer are particularly nice.

Thanks!

Made a final push to finish off the model tonight which was just the weathering and final coat of varnish. All done and crammed into my display case which is filled to the brim now...going to have to get another case if I'm going to paint up anymore titans or knights!

GwkDYY8.jpg

Will try and get some final photos of the Mars Warhound this weekend. 

GREAAT work, truly!
Very nice hues, weathering is just enough not to spoil the vibrancy of the main colours, but the interiors.... Wow! You put so much good stuff in there! 
A fantastic journey looking through the pics :thumbsup:

GREAAT work, truly!

Very nice hues, weathering is just enough not to spoil the vibrancy of the main colours, but the interiors.... Wow! You put so much good stuff in there! 

A fantastic journey looking through the pics :thumbsup:

Thanks Majkhel! Always glad to hear feedback like this ... makes the effort of painting and photography all the more worthwhile. 

Excellent painting! Amazing interior!

Thanks Spyros!

Holy crap, that's amazing

Thanks Triszin! :smile.:

Such utterly astounding work... And what makes it even more impressive is how consistent it is throughout an entire monstrous piece like a Warhound Titan! Excellent work, Eggroll.

Thanks Noctus! The army has definitely been a labor of love. 

Another update here which includes the last 4 Masters of the Chapter models. I had painted up the original 4 that (in pewter) and can only wish GW made these ones in pewter as well but unfortunately they only came in finecast. :sad.: These guys took a long time to clean up and fill of the various bubbles and in the end I think I still missed quite a few but hopefully they're not too obvious. 

Lord Executioner:

bpKdGun.jpg

Master of Marches:

vspNbnw.jpg

Master of Relics:

mqN57ss.jpg

Master of Rites:

rQawxG1.jpg

Family photo:

aGuNtby.jpg

Edited by eggroll

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice work!
First off, congratulations on successful tackling of the finecast minis :P
Seriously though, I really like how meticulously you picked up the numerous details of their armour plates. And the extra work on the scrolls!
Great to see them all together :thumbsup:

Great painting on the masters! They have so much old school character ☺

Thanks! Yes, I think these sit in the sweet spot of character design back when a lot of sculpting was done by hand via the 3 up process. These days the CAD process makes it much easier for them to pump out way more monopose, dynamic characters but a lot of them do the lack the "character" you've mentioned. I'm making it my goal to try and collect/paint up as much of the old stuff as I can before moving onto my Primaris stuff :) Hopefully GW continues to work on focusing on the other factions for now so I can more time to catchup!

Very nice work!

First off, congratulations on successful tackling of the finecast minis :tongue.:

Seriously though, I really like how meticulously you picked up the numerous details of their armour plates. And the extra work on the scrolls!

Great to see them all together :thumbsup:

Thanks! These aren't the last of the finecast mini in my pile of shame unfortunately but I'm almost through them all :)

A quick update with a squad of the "newer" box of plastic vanguard veterans. I've magnetized all the arms for these guys so they'll be swappable but I doubt I'll want to go back to paint up the lightning claw arms for now so I'll call them done!

wGiA7yj.jpg