Spagunk's HH painting thread

Jolemai's stroll into this channel convinced me to release my HH contributions. I've really just posted this in the BA channel so precious little is "new" but on going I'll start posting new stuff here too.

For reference, the local PNW group just do ZM for the vast majority of games. I specifically paint up units in order to fit in ZM 1k so no "big boys" yet.

So to start this out, Here is my Delagatus (or praetor). Apologies for not finishing the base yet. I've been concentrating on painting new stuff rather than revisit my first squads.

gallery_40907_9492_471925.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_644410.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_458709.jpg

Next, my Legion assault marines. Same with the Delegatus, I moved on before painting the bases.

gallery_40907_9492_1013663.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_769497.jpg

Also, I know my white balance is all over the place but my wife insists I need to go outside for these. I am not convinced but happy wife etc etc.

Mortis Contemptor Dreadnought
gallery_40907_9492_375817.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_694341.jpggallery_40907_9492_396559.jpggallery_40907_9492_585254.jpg

Edited by Spagunk

Looking good!

I am curious about what the rest of your army will consist of - Blood Angels and zone mortalis aren't a combo I've seen often.

Looking good!

I am curious about what the rest of your army will consist of - Blood Angels and zone mortalis aren't a combo I've seen often.

I've got another contemptor lined up, a Heavy weapon squad (CHOOOOOOM) with Armistos Consul, Apothecary, Primus Nullificator Consul with squad of Nullificators.

From there, I have definitely a mix of bog standard stuff and special items. Just waiting for money to order more stuff: angels tears, dawnbringers etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

gallery_40907_9492_668014.jpggallery_40907_9492_786218.jpg

Two Blood Angle Legion Apothecary "Priests"

gallery_40907_9492_623936.jpggallery_40907_9492_462830.jpggallery_40907_9492_355610.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_338372.jpggallery_40907_9492_641323.jpggallery_40907_9492_458477.jpg

So I have a bit of a story about the metallic guy. In my head he's a Terran born OG legionary who chose NOT to wholesale change his appearance as he maintained pride in who he was, rather than change everything just because the primarch was discovered. He did update his shoulder pads for legion coherency so the pads are red and show Blood Angel iconography.

The other guy is also sporting a blood chalice. Despite book 8's omission (:down:) I chose to represent the item anyway. My idea being that in order to help facilitate the control that Sanguinius had on his legion, blood chalices were imbued with his will and psychic imprint to help control the base tendencies but also to focus and spur on other traits in the line members.

Appreciate the compliment. I'm still experimenting with subtle things and I absolutely need to trash the white paint I'm using (too chalky). However generally I'm not painting a lot of white stuff anyway.

Truth be told, I should be migrating towards an air brush as I'm find that I'm not getting the gradients consistent with my dry brushing. I think it's okay generally but I feel like I could be doing much better. That said, with doing an airbrush setup it would require a lot more training time to use it properly so I'd end up not painting guys for awhile until I get comfortable doing models again.

• 1 month later...

:wub:  Those yellow/black flames are ace, and exceptionally well done - do more of those!

Also liking the presence of tac and heavy support squads - many HH BA players seem to over look these parts of the legion. 

Appreciate it! 

I do have a fair amount of "BA" stuff but I feel you need essentials taken care of. Also most of the items I am doing are made for Zone Mortalis in general so I'm always trying to find interesting quirky units to paint and use.

• 1 month later...

Veeery nice. Barrels tho?

They're sprayers, the juice comes out the side of the cones?

I saw them as modelled after an American Mark 2 Flamethrower, which has a pretty hefty barrelopening.

Right but these aren't exactly flamers in my head, more like just chemical sprayers that ignite in air. /shrug you can report me to whatever police special victims unit is involved for "not proper canon", whateva :wink::biggrin.:

Speaking of Heresy, have some close ups:

gallery_40907_9492_147857.jpg

This trooper is sporting a rune of Shub-Niggurath, Dagon of the Deep, The master of R'lyeh", Rune of Yig, Symbol of Chattur'gha and the protection of "The Changer of ways".

gallery_40907_9492_65855.jpg

Next squad member has etched runes from Azathoth the Sultan, Atlach-nacha, Volcano lord Ghatanothoa, Tulzcha of the Green Flame, Portents of the "Moon-Beast" and icon of the "King in Yellow".

gallery_40907_9492_245346.jpg

The Squad's Sargent is a potent Codicier from the former Librarius of the Blood Angel legion. He still maintains his rank, even if the Council of Nikaea barred it's use. He has decided to utilize runes of Cthonian origin, Azathoth, Warding of the Living Flame, Nyarlathotep, Master of R'lyeh and one of unknown variety but seems particularly effective in warding off other psychic powers. When cast it seemed to almost glow with a bloody hue.

gallery_40907_9492_167289.jpg

This squad member chose Nodens of the abyss, protection of the Deep One, Icon of the "Servitor of the Outer Gods", Rune of Hypnos, "King in Yellow" and the elder sign of "the dark prince" which mentions only that it's power is associated with coercion and excess. Said to be effective against the powers of the Eldar but there is no knowledge on what specific effect it has.

gallery_40907_9492_123976.jpgTh

This squad member also chose runes from Atlach-nacha, Shub-niggurath, Ghatanothoa, Chthonia, Tulszcha and a mysterious rune from "The all father". Under the name Yog-sothoth it is said to be the rune of a powerful magic which grants powers of "life and death". Curiously the librarium indicates it is associated with other aspects including decay but it is unclear what exactly that means.