Stallenberg 502nd... with added Norfolkian 8th. 'Pip pip old chap!'

Thank you for the quick reviews :smile:

I do have lots of spare arms both left and right from the various kits, although annoyingly some kits have way more for one side than the other and it is not always easy to combine the 2 arms from different kits (those raumjagers with hands sculpted into the rifles and with only 2 left arms for 3 right arms are annoying), but one thing I don't have is nearly enough arms to use even 50% of the spare heads. Unless I make several massive temples worthy of khorne with those heads, I need to find a way to actually spend them somehow.

Bases on historical miniatures are always problematic, I have never really understood how each size of those multi model bases are meant to be used, so I have been acquiring individual bases for them (I don't even understand how some of the weapon loadouts would work with the narrow bases for the groups).
In a time of relatively good variety of medieval plastic miniatures at a decent price, I am not sure that less detailed miniatures are that relevant, but for space fillers it should be adequate.

When I clear most of the bits I currently have, I might get some goliath kits from Rubicon. Although I am not exactly a fan of the remote explosives, I do have some fond memories of using goliath in Company of Heroes to blow up bridges when the enemies approached and destroyed them (I did something similar with the american army by putting demo charges and mines on the bridge, although the mines sometimes went off while the engineers were still building some and the bridge blew up too soon).

Oh I went totally nuts on Company of Heroes against a mate back in the day with Goliaths. By the end of the match I actually felt bad for him. I should re install that game again at some point, had tons of fun playing that.

I have just installed Verdun and Tannenberg, I literally have no idea what Im doing but once the bullets start flying and the gas mask goes on my inner Kriegsman comes out and off I go across no mans land with my good old bayonet for some stabby stabby fun. Also good for terrain ideas so even when Im not having hobby time Im 'doing research'. Enlisted is another game I play often, got a few good ideas for terrain there as well. 

As for the historicals, Im putting time into converting the unit leaders, flag dudes, musicians and a few of the rank and file to spice the poses up a bit, I dont fancy painting over 90 Norman and 80 Viking infantry minis all the same. That will lead down the path of madness.

To mix things up with my painting backlog Ill try and do a unit of Space Brits, followed by some historicals (5 each of Vikings and Normans), something for my Stallenberg, then a few Norman cavalry. Hopefully that way I wont get painting burnout so fast, as a treat Ill throw in a Legion of the Damned mini as a change from painting variations of greys and browns. It is intimidating, going from roughly 20 minis on sprue that need building to over 200 in the space of a week.

I just gotta remember the historical stuff is a slow burn project for 1st edition so I dont have to stress over getting it done fast, and the Stallenberg yellow platoon is basically just more meatshield bodies to flood the table, the Space Brits are priority. Tally-Ho, Chocs-Away, Tea and Crumpits, Chavs and Knife crime and all that British stuff. 

Coms Pigeons have arrived, lovely tiny pieces of radioactive Chinese resin FTW!! Nothing stopping me from building this army now other than myself and my procrastination... So Ill crack on after I have seen my neighbour for a coffee and a rant about the world. I do like a good rant. Us Brits are great at two things standing in lines and complaining, and Im a grand master at both. Oh and we invented Heavy Metal :wink:

These Pigeons though...So smol. I love them. 

Lightings awful in my kitchen today so I apologize for the dull pictures.

My first Vet quad (with coms Pigeon) the start of a Hvy weapon squad and Commissar. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ac930c44e8507bb06f446a50795814f8.jpeg

The grenade launchers really get under my skin, you cant get them to go across the chest without trimming away part of the chest and back of the gun, the only pose you can get 'natural' without chopping has his arm going over his throat like he is dabbing. Other than that and 2 arms being labelled with the same number even though they are not the same arm is confusing, and a lot of paired arms dont line up right. Best looking WGA kit I have used so far, worse for building. Gonna look good when done though, I just need to be patient and not eat them in anger. 

“Stop the pigeon! Stop the pigeon!”

Great concept using them as the vox network!

Might just be me but I think the space Brits with Grenade launchers look awesome!

The poses look good, I’m loving the sergeant with the peaked hat. Moustaches should be mandatory.

Good luck with the painting.

Plenty of facial caterpillars in the kit, Im just playing about with the gasmask heads first. Gasmasks for vets, normal heads for infantry, pith helmets for conscripts. If I do any Scions they will be using the same minis but with the greenish tinted uniforms over the brown. At least this time I have everything planned in my head unlike the Stallenberg where I just bought a ton of stuff and worried about the details later. 

Second Infantry Squadimage.thumb.jpeg.56afb22e60b8d823729931d1acd52211.jpeg

Coms Pigeon 

2022-09-20 03.42.15.jpg

Family pik so far.

image.thumb.jpeg.6e09c2e679185b518401a206a75ba8b9.jpeg

I may do 'Speckled Jim' as an objective marker.

Do I do him alive or after he was cooked though? 

Best General Melchett GIFs | Gfycat

Got the base coats and ink washes down on the Black Adder minis. Im just not vibing with painting at the moment, I need a med review as the ones I have aint doin much and my sleeping patterns gone out the window, Im finding it hard to focus on anything at the moment, at least Im keeping myself busy by trimming out bits of Guardsmen and scraping off mold lines. A little bit here and there will eventually be a built unit by the end of the day. 

Done another three heavy weapons for the Stallenberg giving me a unit of heavy bolters and autocannons now, and done another four Engineers giving me a unit of ten in total.

image.thumb.jpeg.8e4df4450c18536b327b8ea56c8f73e3.jpeg

Also done the last two Mortars for the Norfolkian heavy weapon squad.

image.thumb.jpeg.9d7abffa63b7335a511fd214bbc47da7.jpeg

Slowly getting there. :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, much appreciated. Instead of trying to paint tons of stuff at once like I did the Stallenberg Ive decided to prime what I have built and put the rest of the sprues away until its done. If I have the urge to build I have plenty of Normans and Vikings for my slow burn project to scratch that itch. 

Im gonna try throw some brown paints at the Brits now, even if I just get a squad base coated thats one less to do tomorrow. Wish I turned the extractor fan on in the bathroom and cracked a window though, that spray primers strong stuff. :laugh:

3 minutes ago, Slave to Darkness said:

Im gonna try throw some brown paints at the Brits now, even if I just get a squad base coated thats one less to do tomorrow. Wish I turned the extractor fan on in the bathroom and cracked a window though, that spray primers strong stuff. :laugh:

Probably a good idea to step out of the house and leave the windows open for a while to get the primer to dissipate.

30 minutes ago, GreenScorpion said:

Probably a good idea to step out of the house and leave the windows open for a while to get the primer to dissipate.

Yeah I went shop to buy milk and tobacco, more toxins to pump into my body. :thumbsup::laugh:  I swear the coffee is gonna kill me. 

Left the missus at home though, the fumes have gotten to her, shes playing yakuza having a damn good time. 

Not sure what colour to paint the Brodie helmets and shoulder pads. Think Caliban green would work with the brown? Legwraps and bedrolls I have decided to do grey, as a flip to the Stallenberg who have grey with brown wraps and bedrolls, my reasoning for that is if I ever use both in the same army they kinda share the same colour palette even though they are two different forces so it should (in theory) look a bit more uniform. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

Did a Commander and his squad. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4729a49679f4c4642816630512c07372.jpeg

L-R there is Gunner 'High-Rise' Sugden, Battery Sergeant-Major Davies (or 'Sergeant Shut-It' behind his back) Commander Cottrell ('Bunty' to his 'ol chums down at the officers mess) Flagsman 'Topper' Thompson (yes he will have a golden pigeon on his flagpole) and the Medic 'Dodgy Dave from Dagenham'. 

For the younger crowd who may not get the reference High Rise and Shut It are based on two characters from an old comedy called 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum'. Gunner 'Lofty' Sugden played by Don Estelle and Sgt-Major Williams played by Windsor Davies. 

Here they are doing a nice musical number. 

++EDIT++

WGA have their Ooh Rah up for preorder. 

Ooh_Rah_Box_Web.jpg?v=1663885530

Oh yes!! 

Lena (The United States)'s review of Aliens: Bug Hunt

Looks like Im gonna restart my 3D Advanced Space Crusade board now. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness