One Last Blade - Icosiel's Grey Knights Videos

Icosiel

Sad to hear about the lack of games, dude. Hope that you're able to eek some in soon.

Also, what are the odds of a written battle report sometime in the future. It isn't a judgement on you but I don't watch video battle reports and I miss your content.

I'll definitely be back to making written battle reports at some point. Honestly, most of my written reports were done at my local gaming club. I'd hang out with hobbyists, drink beer, and take pictures while I played games. With my club (and the whole state) being in lockdown since March, I obviously haven't been in that environment. I miss being around those folks and making those casual written reports. I'll certainly be back at it once the club reopens.

Sad to hear about the lack of games, dude. Hope that you're able to eek some in soon.

Also, what are the odds of a written battle report sometime in the future. It isn't a judgement on you but I don't watch video battle reports and I miss your content.

You are missing out bro, there's heaps of good content in videos

I just don't have the time. I've yet to find a video that doesn't take me 5x as long to get through. Sometimes I even revert to just reading the transcript, if I want to know what they're saying. I feel like watching battle report videos of games takes about as long as watching/or playing an actual game and...nah.

Edited by librisrouge

I just don't have the time. I've yet to find a video that doesn't take me 5x as long to get through. Sometimes I even revert to just reading the transcript, if I want to know what they're saying. I feel like watching battle report videos of games takes about as long as watching/or playing an actual game and...nah.

Sometimes you cant play games, and like Cleon said, just in the background while hobbying.

Icosiel does a decent job of cutting out some of the excess. It could be cleaner but it depends on what he wants to achieve. He does a great job for someone starting out from his basement. I simply enjoy them for what they are, a chance to watch GK's in action against different armies I wouldn't normally get to play. And an opportunity to learn something.

Sometimes you cant play games, and like Cleon said, just in the background while hobbying.

Icosiel does a decent job of cutting out some of the excess. It could be cleaner but it depends on what he wants to achieve. He does a great job for someone starting out from his basement. I simply enjoy them for what they are, a chance to watch GK's in action against different armies I wouldn't normally get to play. And an opportunity to learn something.

I'm learning new things with each video! I've never filmed anything of mine before, let alone edited. So it's all new to me. I'm glad you're enjoying them!

Battle-brothers! In this tumultuous time, I have managed to eke out another battle report! This is a narrative game against the Thousand Sons. It was very fun and I'm really excited to hear what people think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8EvVipMdAI&feature=youtu.be

Going forward, I'm gonna film some hobby vlogs. So that is probably what you'll be seeing from me in the coming weeks!

It looked a really fun game, For me there were a number of take-aways to add into my 9th ed theory bank:

• Teleport re-deploy (with it's minimum enemy range) is not the same as true manoeuvrability, the fast moving interceptors could push forward more effectively in the face of screens and denies.
  • If playing Grey knights with my Nurgle force, take a demon worth re-spawning :smile.:
  • 9th ed seems to play more 'naturally' if you have enough demands on your command points you can't continuously interrupt in the melee rounds.
  • Summoning to 'block' holes where the enemy is breaking your screen as Chaos is very thematic and depending on the mission objectives, very powerful.
  • Terminator storm bolter volleys can be horrifically effective against troops not as well protected as marines (those Tzangors took one heck of a beating)

But more generally, it was nice to see the Apothocary bomb can fail, he feels a lot fairer if occasionally it's just points down the drain as he had seemed a little over-effective in some previous vids and the difference between the Dreadknights performance in a game where the enemy hasn't brought a lot of heavy weapons compared to some other games (like when they've been vaporised against the knight lords) show what they can do, it's going to be interesting to see if the next codex gives them some protection tools to help them get in.

Also, they do look cool, but do you find the little rock rubble is more trouble than its worth in terms of cocked dice?

Edited by Cleon

The battle zone you set up looks so awesome! By any chance do happen to remember where you got your battle mat from, and the large tower/building at the center?

Waking Dreamer, I'm so sorry but I can't for the life of me remember where I bought that battle mat from! I went through my email and just can't seem to place it. I usually buy from gamemat.eu, Mats by Mars, and PWork Wargames, but this particular mat doesn't seem to be in any of their catalogues! I'll let you know if I find out its origin.

As for the centerpiece, I received that as a gift from a stranger! A fellow wargamer in my city reached out and asked if I wanted it, and said that the only stipulation was that I use it on my channel. It was covered in layers of dust, so I imagine it hasn't seen use in many years. It's beautiful, isn't it?

It looked a really fun game, For me there were a number of take-aways to add into my 9th ed theory bank:

• Teleport re-deploy (with it's minimum enemy range) is not the same as true manoeuvrability, the fast moving interceptors could push forward more effectively in the face of screens and denies.
  • If playing Grey knights with my Nurgle force, take a demon worth re-spawning :smile.:
  • 9th ed seems to play more 'naturally' if you have enough demands on your command points you can't continuously interrupt in the melee rounds.
  • Summoning to 'block' holes where the enemy is breaking your screen as Chaos is very thematic and depending on the mission objectives, very powerful.
  • Terminator storm bolter volleys can be horrifically effective against troops not as well protected as marines (those Tzangors took one heck of a beating)

But more generally, it was nice to see the Apothocary bomb can fail, he feels a lot fairer if occasionally it's just points down the drain as he had seemed a little over-effective in some previous vids and the difference between the Dreadknights performance in a game where the enemy hasn't brought a lot of heavy weapons compared to some other games (like when they've been vaporised against the knight lords) show what they can do, it's going to be interesting to see if the next codex gives them some protection tools to help them get in.

Also, they do look cool, but do you find the little rock rubble is more trouble than its worth in terms of cocked dice?

Love the breakdown of your thoughts! You're right on multiple fronts. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the Dreadknights against an all-infantry list.

I do love the aquarium rocks, but you are right. They so often get in the way and cock dice. I think moderation in terrain dressing is another thing I have to learn, which will come with time. If you ever watch Tabletop Tactics, they often have issues with dice rolling onto rocks, as well, but Winters SEO always seems to have such beautiful control over all his gravel. I think it's just something that will come with practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, battle-brothers! Managed to eek in another game during Seattle's lockdown. This time I'm facing Eldar! Watch as I stay in Tide of Fury for the entire game and never remember to use it once. On the plus side, my opponent brought the Avatar of Khaine so I fought a daemon!

https://youtu.be/sDrViK-uB4E

Fellow Sons of Titan, I come to you with another battle report! Yesterday I faced off against Renegades and Heretics, of all things! It was such a fun game. Daemons driving tanks, hordes of worthless cultists, sexy Tzeentch sorceresses... all falling to the Nemesis Force Sword. I hope you enjoy!

GK V R&H 12:30

Hmm, I wonder why it gives me a link image sometimes, and not others.

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow I missed your last battle report over new year, but spotted it with the painting update - ahh, a Purple shade, that's what I was seeing :)

My first reaction is 'wow that battlefield looks small' - Is that a shift from 48x72 to 44x60 or is it just higher number of vehicles and the strange deployment causing  a bit of an optical illusion?

As to the game, my main worry with Grey Knights has always been a lack of anti tank firepower available and while you did take down some vehicles there were enough tanks that with screening available to protect them against close combat it never felt you had much option but to accept the pain the Russes were dishing out - is your Assault cannon razorback switchable to a lascannon one (as assault cannons don't come in the box), if so have you tried it?

The tides - OK, I can see why you are underwhelmed by the other tides in comparison to shadows, your army really isn't built to smite spam (and to be fair, using the other powers to buff Terminators is cooler than min maxing small squads and just smiting)  and your focus on storm bolters over squad weapon upgrades undermines the shooting tide too.

I was also expecting your Librarian to die turn 1 - in any of our games those servitors would have been shot away so he could take a Gatling cannon to the face - newly painted models don't usually survive gambles like that....

• 3 weeks later...

Well, your luck is exactly what happened a few months ago to me in my first tournament. Imagine a 10 man blob of paladins, with a 3+ invuln (in fight phase), armoured resilience and transhuman. A 5m squad of troupes wiped them out first go. Needless to say, after that game, it was a lesson reinforced that stormbolters are the way to go with dealing with them. Even Master of Combat only killed 2 troupes with their 3+ invuln.

Another tip when fighting Harlequins (as you mentioned that you had no idea what to do) - adopt a defensive playstyle then dump everything (I mean literally everything) on the unit he decides to lightning reflex. Yes I know as a Grey Knight you want to be on offense, but that's how you do it. General priority should be: Troupes/Transports (if they are loaded with troops), other vehicles, then characters. As for secondaries (I don't recall which one you went for), Grind them Down, Linebreaker, and Bring it Down is your way to go. Generally speaking 20 or so bolter shots with Grey Knights should have little problems wiping them a unit out, especially if Kaldor is babysitting that squad. But NEVER, EVER, get into melee with the harlequins, hence why I suggested taking Linebreaker, so you can gate them out of the way. If my memory is right, a 5m troupe squad (could be more) has something close to 40 odd attacks. 

From the list designing perspective (if you want to go that far) - MSU is the way to go. PA units are also acceptable, as both you and the harlequins have 1W a-piece. Anything with stormbolter fire is the way to go. 

Edited by Skywrath

Good insight Skywraith!

I agree with all of your points! The big downside for me off the bat was the deployment. It was lengthwise, so he only had to travel ~20 inches to reach my line. Then he went first. I lost so much that first turn, and I don't think there was anywhere I could have hid my guys.

In hindsight, there was no reason to start your paladins or your GMNDK on the board, if that was the case. Put them behind cover, pop tide of shadows at the start, and let them come to you. Then next turn, you come around, shoot them, and drop a brick wall on them. Then they get into combat at their start at T2 - the units that are in combat will probably die, but that's when the paladin bomb comes, and blows them off the board. Then charge something that will give you Linebreaker, and you are laughing. Also part of the reasons why I run 3 x barebones strikes just to hold points, and the loss isn't felt. 

The key to the fight is movement (ironic, coming from the opposite faction that is synonymous with it), but ideally you'd want to be out of charging range at the end of your T2, and in such a position where you are scoring max points for primary/secondaries. Best case scenario if at the end of T2 you were behind obscuring terrain (after consolidation) so the harlequins will have to get into melee with you, instead of doing MW's on top of their shooting. I realise the last piece of advice goes against what I said originally, but think of it like you want to charge them, not the other way around, and AFTER you shoot the majority of the blob. Personally, I'd feel comfortable enough if the troupe unit you are shooting at was reduced under 5m.