A Murder of Crows

gallery_115548_14899_69109.jpg

Time for yet another plog from the Monkey. More marines, coz that's what I do best, but also my first attempt at actual Primaris marines, not just scavanging their bodies to make truescale armies. This willjust be a little project (to begin with anyway) but its something I'vereally wanted to do for a while. I want to make an all-Phobos Kill-Team with a shamanic/tribal feel that has a very strong crow motif running throught. Not Raven Guard, Crows. The Murder.

This idea came to me a good while ago and I've been slowly building up a littl bitz box of trinkets and things to make them out of. It started when I first saw the Corvus Cabal models for Warcry. I absolutly love them and my first thought was they'd be great as RG scouts or something. But they're too grisly and dark for RG I felt. I shelved the idea in my head and went back to other projects. The idea kept popping up every now and then and when that happens I know at some point I have to put knife-to-plastic and build something. So I got a bunch of Phobos marines, a box of Corvus Cabal and scrounged for several sets of the trinkets from the RG upgrade frames.

First up is my leader, a Lirbrarian. Mainly because I think the model is a great fit for my theme and also because I really wanted one for that shamanic feel I was trying to capture. Here are his begginings:

gallery_115548_16744_79907.jpg
gallery_115548_16744_448930.jpg
gallery_115548_16744_344017.jpg

Super please with the feel so far.I want to actually do a lot more trinkets, do-dads, what-nots and feathers on him but I didn't want to use up all my bitz on the first model. Once I get a few more up and running I'll do a second pass on him and go to town a little more. I also want to all a lightning effect to his hands with wire but it's something I've never attempted before so I'm hesitant to start.

What do you think? I've made a little head-way on the first of my Reivers and Eliminators too but nothing worth showing off yet.

Keen to see what they other guys turn out like so should be a few more birds popping up here soon.

Till then. CAW!

PHM

That's gorgeous, love the crow familiar! Could add a bionic of some sort (eye or foot or something?) just to add to the 40k feel of it?

Just to clarify as I wasn't 100% sure from the OP, are they actual RG done with a shamanistic, crow theme... or could be a DIY RG Successor that recruit from a Feral world? The latter might give you just a touch more freedom to do what you want (including focusing on crows over ravens?)

I think a Librarian is a really thematic leader for such a battle group. That sword is spot on too.

Thanks. I wasn't going to have the Librarian originally as he's far too expensive point-wise for an initial Kill Team. But then I thought, why sacrifice a cool idea for playability? The sword was actually what sold me. Its from the Corvus Cabal and is such a great bit but it wouldn't have worked on anything else in the Phobos list. The Librarian was really my only option. I had no choice :biggrin.:

Awesome idea to use those Cabal bits for RG. I'm vaguely considering doing some RG myself and, if I do, I'll be stealing this.

Cheers. They're not RG tho. I was toying with the them being that originally but since I wanted to go a really tribal feel for them I didn't think that fit well with the RG theme. In games terms tho, yes, they'll be RG, heh

That's gorgeous, love the crow familiar! Could add a bionic of some sort (eye or foot or something?) just to add to the 40k feel of it?

Just to clarify as I wasn't 100% sure from the OP, are they actual RG done with a shamanistic, crow theme... or could be a DIY RG Successor that recruit from a Feral world? The latter might give you just a touch more freedom to do what you want (including focusing on crows over ravens?)

Cheers. A bionic on that bird would be hard, he's tiny as is, but I like the idea and will give it a go.

Definitly not RG. Got  nothing against them but I feel their aesthetic is a little plain. By necessity they are sparse and clean; don't want shiny trinekets reflecting the light and making noise while you're being all sneaky-sneaky. Don't know if they'll be RG successors or just 'a chapter' but I'll figure that out later. The main aim is to pretty much upgrade the Covus Cabal guys to be marines.

“Come join the Murder / come fly with black / we’ll give you freedom / from the human trap”

The White Buffalo and The Forest Rangers

https://youtu.be/jXwgShqzVas

Not overly a fan of the song as a whole but there are some really great lines in there I'll have to use when it comes to fluff-writing. Thanks

Awesome idea to use those Cabal bits for RG. I'm vaguely considering doing some RG myself and, if I do, I'll be stealing this.

Cheers. They're not RG tho. I was toying with the them being that originally but since I wanted to go a really tribal feel for them I didn't think that fit well with the RG theme. In games terms tho, yes, they'll be RG, heh

Ahh fair enough. The Librarian could be an unusually shamanic-looking RG guy I think, but also fine as a homebrew chapter. I was thinking the raven wings from the leader (I think) of the crow guys could potentially work on Shrike. The raven skull masks are pretty cool too - way cooler than his emo hair.

I'm busy on my Crimson Fists at the moment anyway, so I'll leave this alone for now. I look forward to seeing your progress.