Codex Predictions + Hopes

WARMASTER_

I'm wondering what exactly the reason was for Deathwing not getting Fire Discipline. Is it something else we haven't seen yet or is it strictly a balance decision?

There are probably different benefits for different wings -

Regular infantry "greenwing" is fire discipline

Deathwing infantry is only woundable on 4+

Ravenwing is jink

I'm wondering what exactly the reason was for Deathwing not getting Fire Discipline. Is it something else we haven't seen yet or is it strictly a balance decision?

Ravenwing is jink

This is the super doctrine though. Ravenwing units still benefit from it. Jink and Inner Circle are just abilities that some units have, and are completely separate to the super doctrine, unless we find out that is changing later this week.

It says there's a new doctrine ability 'Sons of the Lion', so my guess is that there is another part of that overarching ability that Deathwing will get. Something in assault doctrine would be pretty awesome.

Loving the push more into melee, that's exactly how I have been wanting to play more.

Ravenwing is jink

This is the super doctrine though. Ravenwing units still benefit from it. Jink and Inner Circle are just abilities that some units have, and are completely separate to the super doctrine, unless we find out that is changing later this week.

Rule says infantry only.

Edited by Syphid

Ravenwing is jink

And none of ravenwing units are infantry so fire discipline is useless for them.

Aaaand...nada in the preview, other than they mentioned "Dark Angels" a few times, which means it will be in the next preview. Damn you COVID-19!!!

Well, consider this: at least we didn't get any Paragon Warsuit!

Seeing it reminded me of the scene from DEADPOOL where his friend is describing his face to him:

"It looks like a giant-sized Sister of Battle...giving birth to a regular-sized Sister of Battle...out of the wrong end. I can see the head!"

Looks like there is a hint in there that one of the interromancy powers will let us reroll to wound rolls - "The Mace of Redemption is particularly good for piling on the mortal wounds, especially if you have a Librarian on hand to help you re-roll wound rolls."

Allright I am having visions of Aggressors of all kind blasting people away with their flamers/gauntlets in melee....

On top of that, while it's true that BS becomes 5, we still have +1 for being still so it's more like 4+

They have to survive the charge first...

They're at T5 already, and then Line Unbreakable will soften the initial charge. Then you have the choice of either staying in combat and firing at them at BS5+, or falling back, spending 1CP and firing at them with full BS.

They're at T5 already, and then Line Unbreakable will soften the initial charge. Then you have the choice of either staying in combat and firing at them at BS5+, or falling back, spending 1CP and firing at them with full BS.

Intractable is 2CP, but there are definitely times that will be a good combo.

Allright I am having visions of Aggressors of all kind blasting people away with their flamers/gauntlets in melee....

On top of that, while it's true that BS becomes 5, we still have +1 for being still so it's more like 4+

They have to survive the charge first...

I was mentioning them specifically since flamers autohit

They're at T5 already, and then Line Unbreakable will soften the initial charge. Then you have the choice of either staying in combat and firing at them at BS5+, or falling back, spending 1CP and firing at them with full BS.

Intractable is 2CP, but there are definitely times that will be a good combo.

Like when you are charged by a mob of 20 hormagaunts or 20 ork boyz

Engulfing Fear: does it use the model's original Leadership to determine if it fails actions, or the -1 modified characteristic that it causes as part of the ability? I'm guessing the original leadership because of the sequence?

Engulfing Fear: does it use the model's original Leadership to determine if it fails actions, or the -1 modified characteristic that it causes as part of the ability? I'm guessing the original leadership because of the sequence?

I had a similar question, certainly one to be clarified in an FAQ.

My take is as follows:

If the result of the Psychic test was equal to or greater...

The use of the past tense here suggest that it is the original Leadership, as that is the one that is correct at the time that the Pyschic test is taken.

This feels to me like a playtest change. I bet GW received feedback that with Fire Discipline as well as their other rules, DW were just too good.

Very excited by these rules so far, they feel Dark Angely :P.

This feels to me like a playtest change. I bet GW received feedback that with Fire Discipline as well as their other rules, DW were just too good.

Very excited by these rules so far, they feel Dark Angely :tongue.:.

I believe they mention a "sons of the Lion" superdoctrine, which could mean Inner Circle for DW, Jink for RW and Fire Discipline for GW, giving each a role .

Think Brother Ramael has the right of it - specific benefit for each of the three wings.

Also, Fire Discipline for Deathwing would be horrendous. Already at 3 wounds base and with Transhuman Physiology means that they'll likely survive being charged, then hit back with some fervour, before being able to shoot at them with 4-shot Storm Bolters at -1 AP. Lovely!