Codex Predictions + Hopes

WARMASTER_

It goes by keyword. Repulsor executioner has the Repulsor keyword, so it can be upgraded. Just like Dreadnought includes normal box dreadnoughts, venerable dreadnoughts and redemptor dreadnoughts, and land raider includes land raiders, land raider crusaders, land raider redeemers, etc.

Edit: I don't see the Repulsor keyword on the Repulsor executioner. Perhaps that gets an FAQ, so that's interesting. All the other land raider variants have the land raider keyword.

Given that they have one painted, they expect you to be able to use a repulsor executioner I think.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Aaaand...nada in the preview, other than they mentioned "Dark Angels" a few times, which means it will be in the next preview. Damn you COVID-19!!!

Well, consider this: at least we didn't get any Paragon Warsuit!

I actually kinda like it, each to their own .

As for DA, I kinda think in a warped way that we are closer now. If we'd have had a preview it would make me think its a bit further off in the pipeline.

From just the image, I like the Paragon Warsuit, will be a nice addition to my sisters collection.  Now the datasheet might change my opinion.

But I just noticed that the DA codex is no longer listed on the FAQ page, but the Drukhari codex still is.  Codex is also not on the GW site.  That leads me to think we are going up for pre-order next.

Edited by ValourousHeart

But I just noticed that the DA codex is no longer listed on the FAQ page, but the Drukhari codex still is.  Codex is also not on the GW site.  That leads me to think we are going up for pre-order next.

Tomorow will have the announcement for the week. Maybe we get DA supplement available for pre order on jan 30 for a release on febuary 6?

Tomorow will have the announcement for the week. Maybe we get DA supplement available for pre order on jan 30 for a release on febuary 6?

it would be too near to the DG codex preorder

I guess we will have the prerder on 13th february and the release 20the february (so one month after the Nurgle followers)

I don't really care if Weapons From the Dark Age sticks around or not. I can't tell if P L A S M A is something GW put on us or if the global DA community at large leaned into it and it just stuck for years.

It was us. The B&C Dark Angel board got a lot of attention after the Eye of Terror global campaign. We had a massive conversation going when GW told us Dark Angels were getting their own codex in the next edition of the game. Broadly speaking there were two camps: those that wanted more of a stress on the monastic knight aspects and those that wanted more of a stress on the esoteric weapons rumored to be available to the inheritors of the First Legion. Mind you, all that meant at the time was enough Terminator armor to reliably outfit 100 marines (no small feat) and a predilection for plasma guns in tactical squads and every Dark Angel player wanting an edge taking four plasma combibolters in a command squad along with the standard to wreck a choice unit's day. The knightly stuff had an uphill battle as the Templars had quickly become the poster boys for anything like that. In end we got plasma cannons in tactical squds (when other chapters didn't), plasma landspeeder, Black Knights, and Deathwing Knights. Not a bad split on the difference in terms of models and rules.

Only thing would be the new DW lt but we already have the DW termie box to make those. Maaaaybe a hounds of morkai style ‘upgraded’ bladeguard unit was an outside possibility? But the leaked points already told us that wasn’t happening... Surprised they went with generic chaplain rather than lazarus or lt (BA and SW got their special characters) but again it’s still on theme

Kind of weird you guys didn't get a "New" unit in the vein of Hounds of Morkai or Death Company Intercessors. On the other hand, both units have been disappointing, so you're not missing out.

Eh between BGVs being Deathwing (and likely having access to their abilities) and Outriders/Storm Speeders having access to the Ravenwing buffs, we're basically getting upgraded versions of those units. Fingers crossed Outriders get an extra attack for being Vets too, and we'll have 5 upgraded Primaris units which will be pretty sweet. 

From what’s been on the Warhammer-Community site, the Index PDF, and the Munitorium Field Manual, here are my realistic expectations for what we’re getting:

• Black Knights are Elites, command squad rules, etc from the current Index.
  • All-Ravenwing Outriders detachments and all-Deathwing Vanguard detachments get ObSec
  • Strikemaster, a Deathwing Terminator Lieutenant (Tactical precision aura + maybe a special “pick one Deathwing unit in your command phase” buff), but no model for him—build your own from the existing Deathwing kits.
  • “Rites of Initiation” buffs for adding units to the Deathwing, including Indomitus/Bladeguard-style Lieutenants.
  • Interromancy psychic powers.
  • Crusade stuff will be really cool (and people will continue not playing Crusade even though it’s really cool).

I expect that Infantry Deathwing will all get Inner Circle and Bike Ravenwing will get Jink. Unsure of Land Speeder Ravenwing.

And what we aren’t getting (again, guesses here):

• No Lion.
  • No Rubicon characters
  • No Primaris Interrogator-Chaplains
  • No new models.

Something tells me it's going to be another chapter of "Fallens, the best thing no one ever will want to have anything to do with", I suspect they will go heavy handed in the crusade part of the book.

I really hope they are there, and ONLY there in the crusade part.

From what’s been on the Warhammer-Community site, the Index PDF, and the Munitorium Field Manual, here are my realistic expectations for what we’re getting:

• Black Knights are Elites, command squad rules, etc from the current Index.
  • All-Ravenwing Outriders detachments and all-Deathwing Vanguard detachments get ObSec
  • Strikemaster, a Deathwing Terminator Lieutenant (Tactical precision aura + maybe a special “pick one Deathwing unit in your command phase” buff), but no model for him—build your own from the existing Deathwing kits.
  • “Rites of Initiation” buffs for adding units to the Deathwing, including Indomitus/Bladeguard-style Lieutenants.
  • Interromancy psychic powers.
  • Crusade stuff will be really cool (and people will continue not playing Crusade even though it’s really cool).

I expect that Infantry Deathwing will all get Inner Circle and Bike Ravenwing will get Jink. Unsure of Land Speeder Ravenwing.

And what we aren’t getting (again, guesses here):

• No Lion.
  • No Rubicon characters
  • No Primaris Interrogator-Chaplains
  • No new models.

That's a good summary. I'm getting very giddy over the prospect of ObSec Deathwing with 2+/5++ and always-on Transhuman Physiology - they'll be brutal objective holders! The challenge is going to be working out how to fill the rest of the army.

No Lion is unsurprising, and given that none of the other Chapters had any Rubicon characters, that's not surprising either. It feels like these codex supplements aren't driving the lore very much, so we'll have to wait for whatever the next campaign series is for any big reveals - be it the Lion, Luther, or a Primaris Azrael...

No Primaris Interrogator-Chaplains is disappointing, but it's in line with the lore. There was a Black Library short story a while back which essentially portrayed the Firstborn, Inner Circle members of the Reclusiam as viewing their Primaris brethren as not being strong-willed enough. Not until Asmodai himself goes through the Rubicon are we likely to see Primaris Interrogator-Chaplains.

Guest MistaGav

I'm sure we'll get better rules previews this week but I swear yesterday I saw an image of some sneak peak rules for Interrogator chaplains. It was a table of 3 special rules relating to litanies and stuff like that. Made me think we'll get an upgrade type path similar to chapter masters, champions and all that but we'll have to wait and see.

They are still establishing the current story, definitely expected no Lion or anything like that.

They will save that stuff for a campaign book, the main purpose of this was to rebase our codex on the base codex to simplify maintenance.