=] 12 Months of Hobby Challenge 2021 [=

Grotsmasha

So I know I was going to just do one model every month...
But then I discovered that the modelling clay I use to make my bases is starting to dry out - there's been a hole in the bag that I've not noticed. :cry:

Half of it's gone for good (tried all the tricks, it's just refusing to function), but the other half I can still do something with, if I act quickly.:blink.:

So, for this month:

I, Ace Debonair, hereby embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge! For the month of July, I pledge to rebase Ten (10) Kabalites, Ten (10) Wyches, Five (5) Wracks and one (1) Archon of the Kabal of the Shattered World by month's end!

Here's what they're on at the moment:
gallery_46204_9220_261736.jpg

Here's the freshly-pressed bases, just need them to dry so I can glue 'em down and start painting:
gallery_46204_9220_153620.jpg

I'm also making bases for three Assault Intercessors for down the road. :turned:
It would have been for four Chainsword Boys, but I ran out of clay there.

So while I was waiting for the paint to dry...

I might have finally broken open my birthday present and started painting a Sister Repentia. :turned:
This kit is so, so much fun to paint. I did, fortunately, take a "before" pic:

gallery_46204_9220_155601.jpg

(I hadn't settled on a head at this point) And here's where I'm up to:

gallery_46204_9220_289924.jpg

So if possible I'm going to add her to my vow. :happy.:

I, Ace Debonair, hereby append a further vow to the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge! For the month of July, I pledge to additionally finish painting One (1) Sister Repentia of the Order of the Iron Tower by month's end!

I've also made some progress on the bases:

gallery_46204_9220_178743.jpg

Forgive the dark pic, it seemed much brighter on my potato-camera phone. They're painted, I just need to add snow and, of course, glue the models to them.

Once I've done that, I'll take some better pictures and show them off properly. :biggrin.:

I've had to self isolate for 9 days, so lots of painting time coming up, looks like I'll need to find a new thing to paint though, since I just finished my pledge for the month. Painting this has been a huge undertaking, but I'm incredibly happy with the results. that being said if you every play against someone who has two or even three painted exorcists in their army, just give up. Not because the unit is good in game, but because of the sheer power needed to have painted one of these and think "Yeah, lets do that again"!

I'll post a scaled down image here and some full-size ones in the spoiler tags if anyone wants to look closer.

daNAv9p.jpg

s5zH3Ix.jpg

cmMkSbg.jpg

lbfm85n.jpg

9pCVwrK.jpg

Ok, since I've finished my 2nd Drukhari and Sisters commission (expect round 3 come September...) I'm ready to get going on my next one, Word Bearers this time. Pictures when I receive them, but for July I vow to complete; 10 Havocs, 3 Obliterators, 1 Rhino, 1 Chaos Lord, 1 Daemon Prince, 1 Belakor, 2 Space Wolves Razorbacks.

EDIT: Also, I'm hoping to get the Summary for June Completed tonight :tu:

Edited by Grotsmasha

Hey folks :D
I've fallen out of the hobby orbit for some time, but I'm trying to get back. Didn't finish my Sisters form the previous month's vow, so I will continue with them adding a Storm Speeder and big boy Mephiston to keep things interesting. The minimum plan is to finish the Sisters and Storm Speeder.
So:

I, Majkhel of the Blood Angles, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of July pledge to complete a 2 Sisters of Battle, 1 Storm Speeder and 1 Mephiston for the glory of the Angel by month's end.

med_gallery_105306_14251_111135.jpg

Vow Complete!

gallery_46204_9220_198499.jpg

Gluing Wyches in place without the little bar under their feet is abhorrently difficult. They just won't balance! Next time, I'll leave little indents in the floor for their feet so they at least have something to anchor into.

Worse, when taking this picture, two of them fell off their bases (the one with the two sword-whip-things and the one with the spear/net combo), so were hastily re-glued and leaned against their cousins for support.

I did a head swap for my Repentia, cutting the neck away from one of the standard battle sister bare heads.
...Then, somehow, I lost the head I painted. :sweat:

So I did it again, and this time it went much, much worse. I cut far too much of her neck away, and had to hastily liquid greenstuff around it to try and fill it in.
It's hard to spot unless you look at the model up close and from the side or back, but I'm calling this a learning experience.

More pics in the spoiler below!

gallery_46204_9220_68405.jpg

Sister Onaire of the Order of the Iron Tower, Repentant for the crime of cowardice in the face of blasphemous sorcery.
...And possibly for the crime of being photographed with the Drukhari. :tongue.:

gallery_46204_9220_234175.jpg
Archon Mephirion the Bleak and some Wrack bodyguards, leading the Kabal of the Shattered World's raiding force.

gallery_46204_9220_53876.jpg
Those wobbly wyches of mine having a hard time staying upright. :ph34r.:

gallery_46204_9220_140360.jpg
Kabalite warriors gather for a raid, or possibly a picnic. I imagine the results would be broadly the same, except in the latter the Dark Eldar bring their own sandwiches. :laugh.:

Vow Complete!

gallery_46204_9220_198499.jpg

Gluing Wyches in place without the little bar under their feet is abhorrently difficult. They just won't balance! Next time, I'll leave little indents in the floor for their feet so they at least have something to anchor into.

Worse, when taking this picture, two of them fell off their bases (the one with the two sword-whip-things and the one with the spear/net combo), so were hastily re-glued and leaned against their cousins for support.

The solution to this problem is pinning. Since I paint models and bases separately (I have a habit of creating overly-complex bases that I couldn't do with the model in the way!) I pin pretty much every model to the base.

This guide is a decent one, but I use 1/32" diameter brass rod instead (also comes as 0.8mm) instead of steel rod (or paper clips) as it's softer, soi easier to cut and bend without damaging your clippers.

VOW COMPLETE

Satyraes Resplendens (and friends) walks for Legio Defensor

uzWpvoq.jpg

gZnDYJ9.jpg

Also, because I'm pretty sure I forgot to ever post completion shots of my final vow from last month, here they are

T1h8UTd.jpg

Tl5RgAN.jpg

fqHrMoc.jpg

lybYpoY.jpg

Is that stag on the tilting plate freehand? Sir, I salute you.

Indeed it is, thanks - everything, on all my models, is freehand. I've never got on well with decals, and I'm now at the point where I don't really feel the need to learn - I'd rather keep improving my freehand.