[DW] Blackthorn/Swordhand Episode III: Recruitment Thread

Commissar Molotov

I had a quick re-read of your character description, particularly the personality part Mojake. It is hard to make a single word define your personality, but I suppose it should be the most important aspect. Perhaps maybe some suggestions could be:

Bellicose

Ruthless

That might reflect his, what I perceive to be, battle lust.

Mojake - I love, love, love "We do not stand idle" as a Chapter Demeanour for the Angels Encarmine.

For a personal demeanour - Restless? Driven? Bellicose isn't a bad option, although that sounds a little too confrontational towards your peers.

Thanks for the suggestions, both of you. It's quite hard to explain how I want his personality to be. He's going to be ruthless towards his enemies, pitiless towards those he deems weak, but fraternal towards his brothers. 

I've currently settled on Unbreakable, which I think fits to a degree. Unbreakable in the face of the enemy, unbreakable/stubborn on his views around weakness, and unbreakable in the vows to his brother Astartes.

I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter demeanor CM! I knew the theme I wanted and mulled it over for a few hours, then when it came to me it was something of a Eureka! moment.

I'd be happy to start on my Power Armour. Is there flexibility for us in coming up with its history instead of picking one from the rules? I already had something in mind...

Well, as it stands the roll introduces an element of randomness, but I mention that you can choose to increase each roll by +/-1 to try to get it closer to what you'd like.

If there's something specific you'd like, I'm open to discussion. AHP has asked me if he can have Mk4, as the Angels Revenant were mentioned by Forgeworld as having large amounts of it, and it's a key part of their "look." I know in your background you mention MkVII armour with a MkIII helm - I'm open to discussion.

Alright then.

I have received email addresses from (and sent links to the Google Documents to):

- Adesro18

- Komrk

- Brother Argent

- Lysimachus

- ApostleRP

- Ashlander47

- Petragor

- Jeremy.Phillips

- Komrade_Atomic

- Mojake

So, the next steps:

On your character sheet, you will see a number of spaces, some of which you can begin to fill in immediately.

Character: Your Marine's name

Chapter: The Chapter they hail from

Speciality: Either Tactical, Assault, Devastator, Techmarine, Apothecary or Librarian, as appropriate.

Chapter Demeanour: This should be a short phrase that encapsulates your Chapter. If you're unsure, we can discuss this. It will provide bonuses later on if you try to roleplay in a way that fits your Chapter.

Personal Demeanour: A singular adjective that sums up your character's personality.

You can leave the rest blank for now.

Characteristics:

Now you can roll stats! To determine your statistics, for each roll 2D10 and then add 30. Put these in the top right hand square (the right-most grey one.) Your chapter should also give you a bonus (normally +5 to two stats, occasionally +10 to one, and rarely +5 to one and some other bonus.) which is added to this score. Each statistic should therefore be between 32 and 50 (potentially increasing to 55 if you have an appropriate bonus.) If you don't know the stat bonuses for your Chapter, ask me and we will discuss!

After having rolled all your stats, if there is one you don't like, you may choose to re-roll, but must keep the re-rolled statistic.

Let's see how you get on with this! Let us know any surprises or disappointments!

EDIT:

As far as I am aware:

AHP - We agreed that the Marines Revenant get +5WS/BS

Lysimachus - Stormbringers have +5AG/+5INT

ApostleRP - Star Phantoms have +5BS/+5WP

Komrade_atomic - The Silver Skulls get +5INT and a bonus Fate Point

Jeremy - Blood Ravens get +5 INT and some bonus knowledge skills which we'll cover later.

Right so stats, surprisingly happy :) I'd say above average with 1/2 extra nice. 

WS - 41

BS - 52 (47+5 from chapter)

S - 38

T- 43

Agi - 44

Int - 42

Perc - 43

WP - 43 (38+5 from Chapter)

Fel - 41

Well, added some of those bits, armour came out as standard mk 7 so that's cool. Very happy with the armour history, rolled an 8 which didn't suit at all, but being able to move it down one got me 7. Terror by thy friend... could not be more Stormbringers!!

Done Personal history and Wounds and Fate Points too, not sure how to do Divination, do we randomly pick a card from a deck? If so, how do 40k suits relate to the normal ones?

The way I've done it before is to have players pick a card from a deck, either in person or you can find websites that'll let you do it. If you assign each real-world suit to the ones in the divination deck, you can work it out. (It's just a question of probability!)

I rolled Mark V Heresy armor, with Last Survivor and a Mark 8 Gorget, Helmet missing. That second one could be trouble.

You’re a marine, no helmet means you have plot armor or something lol

It means you can't see in the dark, do certain actions, get poisoned, set on fire, and only get voice comms.  It also invites alien scum to turn your head into a canoe!

Get a bin lid, bucket, even a paper bag with holes in! :biggrin.:

MR.

I think I'm pretty happy with mine as well - Maximus-pattern armor allows for three rolls on the table, leaving me with a 9 (Bring Death from Afar), a 1 (Unknown Provenance) and a 19, which I changed to 18 (Battle-Scarred). Hope that makes up for Mk4's weaker limbs and head!

I held off on doing personal history and so on - wanted to make sure that I get the whole divination thing right. We draw a single card from each suit, correct?

I got Lead from the Front and Warp Tainted on my Beaky armor.

I rolled Mark V Heresy armor, with Last Survivor and a Mark 8 Gorget, Helmet missing. That second one could be trouble.

You’re a marine, no helmet means you have plot armor or something lol

It means you can't see in the dark, do certain actions, get poisoned, set on fire, and only get voice comms. It also invites alien scum to turn your head into a canoe!

Get a bin lid, bucket, even a paper bag with holes in! :D

MR.

Oh I know, that’s why I never model any bare heads be it 40K or Historicals, no bucket is a good way to get killed

Edit: Not entirely true, I have two sailor cap heads in my Bolt Action army

Edited by Komrk

The way I've done it before is to have players pick a card from a deck, either in person or you can find websites that'll let you do it. If you assign each real-world suit to the ones in the divination deck, you can work it out. (It's just a question of probability!)

Cool. Assigned Imperium=Hearts, Xenos=Diamonds, Mechanicum=Clubs and Chaos=Spades. Couldn't find a pack anywhere so used an online card generator. Got a 4 of Clubs.

+1 to pilot/drive tests.

Not the hardest crunch-wise, but for a WS Successor character, I think that's worked out pretty well!!

Just working through the character sheets that I can see have been accessed so far:

ApostleRP: I wonder if we could re-work the Star Phantoms' Chapter Demeanour? It's a little generic right now, in that the statement could be applied to any number of Chapter. Perhaps something that really defines the way that the Star Phantoms see themselves, or the world around them? Additionally, I see that you've applied the power armour bonuses into your grey stats. The grey stats are meant to be out of armour, whilst the black includes your armour. If you could separate those out, that'd be awesome. (Also, should "captious" be "cautious"?) Finally, you seem to have the armour values reversed - if you've gotten Mark V armour, you should have 9 to the body, and 8 everywhere else.

Lysimachus: Looks great so far - I do wonder if "Cold Fury" could be rephrased? It's the most minor of quibbles, but if you look at the other demeanours from other Chapters, it might give you an idea.

Petragor: Looks great!

Komrk: Looking good so far - I like the idea of using the Alpha Legion scale as a trapping. Just as a note, because I'm not there yet with everyone else yet, but we do use the revised weapon stats from the Deathwatch Errata. (They're on the last four or so pages of the PDF.)

Adesro18: Liking the look of it so far. A Mk6 Techmarine is interesting!

Mojake: I hadn't explained it yet, but Space Marines have Unnatural Strength and Toughness (2), which means they double their Strength and Toughness bonuses (on grey). For you, you'd have a grey strength bonus of 10, a grey toughness bonus of 8, and a black strength bonus of 12.

AHorriblePerson: All looks good as far as I can tell. I'm happy for you to select Daemons (or "Creatures of the Warp") if you wish.

Jeremy.Phillips: All looks good so far!

Edited by Commissar Molotov

Lysimachus: Looks great so far - I do wonder if "Cold Fury" could be rephrased? It's the most minor of quibbles, but if you look at the other demeanours from other Chapters, it might give you an idea.

Hmm, yes. It doesn't quite flow as it should, does it?

Other names...

Well, I was considering quoting from my blurb about Titus 'Precision Brutality' but I'm not sure if that's better or worse. A lot of the official ones are just 'Son of .....' so I could go for 'Son of the Storm' but I'm not sure if that's a bit obvious? (Which could be good or bad)

Anyone else got any ideas as a name for the following Demeanour?

The Stormbringers believe first and foremost in the survival of the Imperium of Man. It is their sole purpose that the Emperor’s realm should not fall, and they feel no compunction over taking whatever course they deem necessary to ensure its continued existence.The Chapter's Marines are known for their ability to make and implement such brutally pragmatic decisions with all the lightning speed that their White Scar heritage would suggest.

For example, if a battle costs the lives of one hundred civilians rather than that of a single Astartes, this is viewed as entirely acceptable, simply by virtue of their comparative value to the Imperium. In the present time, with Mankind attacked on all sides and always in desperate need of its finest warriors, it is debatable whether any could truly prove them wrong.

Many have branded the Chapter as cowardly because of their methods but such accusations are inaccurate. If a Stormbringer feels that the sacrifice is necessary, or the objective important enough, he will willingly and without hesitation give his life to achieve it. Others call the Chapter cruel, disloyal or heartless. The Stormbringers themselves feel that they are simply being efficient.

Oh and for the grey and black boxes, is it:

Top right: unarmoured strength (or whatever characteristic)

Top left: unarmoured str bonus (so 10s digit. Or 10s digit x 2?)

Bottom right: armoured strength (top right + 20)

Bottom left: armoured str bonus?? (I'm not 100% clear what goes here...)