[DW] Blackthorn/Swordhand Episode III: Recruitment Thread

Commissar Molotov

Yep, I've got another tab called Solo/Squad, so I figured it goes there. Its just a blank page though, so I wasn't sure if that was right or I was missing some stuff. It's cool, I'll add it in.

Hi all, please bear with me if I don't reply to you immediately. I'm not trying to ignore you - just to fit in this thread around my day job. As more and more people complete their characters, this thread should quieten down and then I can try to get through everyone.

Ashlander: If you'd like to spend the 1000XP from First Founding to unlock Ravenwing Veteran you can, although my game and my plot isn't equipped for a bike at the moment. I suppose the Initiate of Secrets allows you to convey most of what you wanted. Just as a note, your purchases are on the wrong purchase history (which is my mistake) - can you transfer them over to the revised one?

Petragor: I'm happy for you to use Command Without Doubt - if you want to make a note on your character sheet somewhere, please do so. I will re-read the Solo and Squad Modes, but they sound fine. With regards to the Trapping - you should only have one - so either the Tabard or the Scrimshaw are fine for me. Also, you're right about Right Gear for the Job, sorry for that!

Komrade_Atomic: All looks really good to me, glad you're getting into Gideon's character!

Lysimachus: The Solo/Squad can be any layout, as long as you/I can access the information as easily as possible.

Necronaut: Either deed is fine, but not both. With regards to the Doom Eagles' rules - when I read it, I assumed it just meant enhancements to the Fellowship stat, rather than skills or talents. I think it might otherwise be a bit too much of a handicap.

TBTL: The Primarch's Curse is on p.281 of the Core Rulebook. It's essentially a way to try to encourage you to play in the character's chapter's archetype. The first level of the Primarch's Curse doesn't kick in until your Marine accumulates 30 Insanity Points. Honestly it hasn't played any part in my game for the last three years, and is likely not to whilst I have awesome roleplayers.

As Adesro has intimated, if you want to add extra tabs and information onto your character sheet, please feel free to do so. The sheet is meant to be a resource for you!

Yeah I missed that detail originally when I was reading through the deeds section. Am I also right in assuming I'm to use the Primarch's Curse as specified in Honor the Chapter for Codex Chapters?

Also, how are we going to handle starting renown/equipment acquisitions? Or are we not quite there yet (trying to assess partly which deed I should start off with given the parts of Helgrim's backstory I shared with you previously in DM)?

Thanks for the response CM, you just take the time you need.

Regarding trappings, each chapter has 2 to choose from, so I just felt like should choose two to pick from before missions. If I have to stick with one, I'll go with the Scrimshaw tools, is is much better RP wise. If a brother dies in battle, I can make a relic of him to take revenge, and to remember him by.

I would say that we'd be at Respected (consider we are at Rank 3/8) - but I haven't told most players about Standard Equipment yet.

Sounds good, I'll hold off on that part for now -- I know you're busy. If my character is going to sport a cybernetic, I think I'm going to go with the Return to Duty deed and pick up a standard-grade cybernetic eye for Helgrim when we do equipment requisitions, as it likely would have been a hastily acquired and installed augmetic to put him back on the front lines.

Ashlander: If you'd like to spend the 1000XP from First Founding to unlock Ravenwing Veteran you can, although my game and my plot isn't equipped for a bike at the moment. I suppose the Initiate of Secrets allows you to convey most of what you wanted. Just as a note, your purchases are on the wrong purchase history (which is my mistake) - can you transfer them over to the revised one?

Initiate of Secrets provides more than enough for me, don't worry. Like I said I was getting way ahead of myself and at risk of running into the classic conundrum of "the paladin wants to take his horse into the dungeon". I'll get the sheet updated right and proper later tonight with my full compliment of shiny bitz!

Just a word to anyone else who is using Deeds: keep in mind that they do not count towards XP gained when it comes to Rank progression. I'm not 100% sure on that and if anyone can correct me I'd appreciate it, but as I have read it they are technically pre-purchases so their cost isn't factored in. For an example, I have taken the Initiate of Secrets for 300 XP, meaning that if I spend all my remaining XP on advances I am only 9200 XP expended rather than the full 9500 (or 21200 to be precise and technically accurate). This is important to note when making a character and bearing in mind access to different advance tables when at certain Ranks. 

Okay, I think I have my 9,500 Exp spent now (pending final approval by @Mol). 

Just need to know if there's any special/home rules regarding equipment, and how Mol wants to handle chapter trapping for the custom chapters. (For the Star phantoms I'm leaning towards something like a skull/bone rosery, giving something like a +3 to WP tests.)

Can't wait for the next steps :)  

Just a word to anyone else who is using Deeds: keep in mind that they do not count towards XP gained when it comes to Rank progression. I'm not 100% sure on that and if anyone can correct me I'd appreciate it, but as I have read it they are technically pre-purchases so their cost isn't factored in. For an example, I have taken the Initiate of Secrets for 300 XP, meaning that if I spend all my remaining XP on advances I am only 9200 XP expended rather than the full 9500 (or 21200 to be precise and technically accurate). This is important to note when making a character and bearing in mind access to different advance tables when at certain Ranks. 

That's a little too complicated for me to track, so I'll disregard that. XP is XP! 

Petragor: I like Eyes of Fate - think it looks excellent for a Celestial Lion! (With regard to Chapter Trappings, I'd prefer players to only have one.) 

Edited by Commissar Molotov

As you are following the Ultramarines rules, you automatically get access to the Ultramarines solo mode, attack pattern and defensive stance as explained in the Core rulebook (pp213-225)

The Ultramarines also get a second Solo Mode and additional patterns in the add-on First Founding (p73)

Cheers for that CM. I've just been looking at the first founding bits. They have a cool oath too.

I'm understanding the rules the more I'm fumbling around looking for stuff, but I'm having trouble finding where it says how much of something I can take. I tried Googleing an idiots guide to doing this but there's not much on the bit we are doing now.

Depends on the something in question... We generally don't worry about ammo counts aside from what is in a clip/belt/hopper. The exclusion to that are explosives like missiles and grenades.

The something was hown many solo and squad modes a character can take. But I'm finding it on a lot of the character building bits. It's got lots of lovely lore and story building but not a lot of direction on actually putting that down in the sheet...if it does I'm missing it and apologise.

Its my first time doing anything like this and I really want to make a go at it because I love the lore and narrative side of this.

Ah! Well, in that case, you get one chapter (Unless said chapter has more than one for some reason) solo mode, but you can also use the codex solo mods provided you have the correct rank for them.

Offensive squad modes follow the same, one chapter (unless said chapter has more than one) and codex modes.

Defensive squad modes follow the same, one chapter (unless said chapter has more than one) and codex modes.

For example:

Tyber has access to his chapter's solo mode (quick reflexes), but has been seen making use of feat of strength solo mode from the codex modes.

Tyber can also use his chapter's offensive and defensive squad modes as well as the codex ones. However, since he has "Forging the Bond" talent, he can share in the squad modes of other chapters.

As I understand it, you get 1 Solo Mode Ability and 2 Squad Mode Abilities (1 Attack Pattern and 1 Defensive Stance)

If you're from an official Chapter with official rules, they're already chosen for you. If you're from a Successor, you might just use your progenitor's... or possibly (with approval from GM) you might find that another rule suits your Chapter better.

Eg. my Stormbringers use White Scars (their progenitor) Solo and Defensive Squad Modes, but I felt that the Raven Guard Attack Squad Mode fitted their style better, so I've asked to use that.

Edit: Gah, ninja'd again!!

So, I could use the above - plus - any Codex Solo/Squad Modes?

As I understand it, you get 1 Solo Mode Ability and 2 Squad Mode Abilities (1 Attack Pattern and 1 Defensive Stance)

If you're from an official Chapter with official rules, they're already chosen for you. If you're from a Successor, you might just use your progenitor's... or possibly (with approval from GM) you might find that another rule suits your Chapter better.

Eg. my Stormbringers use White Scars (their progenitor) Solo and Defensive Squad Modes, but I felt that the Raven Guard Attack Squad Mode fitted their style better, so I've asked to use that.

Edit: Gah, ninja'd again!!

So, I could use the above - plus - any Codex Solo/Squad Modes?

More or less...

You can only benefit from one solo mode at a time.

You cannot benefit from a solo mode and squad mode at the same time.

You cannot benefit from more than one squad mode at a time.

I'm back! Thanks for the good wishes, I feel like the interview went well - only time will tell! The conversation turned to secondment and I had a really hard time not daydreaming about the Deathwatch:biggrin.:

Questions:

1. Will there be a consolidated thread with all characters posted or introduced? There are a lot of Astartes' backstories/personalities/chapters that I need to take notes on!
  2. My Psychic Powers tab is empty, it feels like there should be a sheet here to include Psy Rating, etc?
  3. Please may I take the deed "No Quarter Given"?

I've narrowed my advancements down to 9,400xp (100xp left over - I don't think any advancements are that cheap?), please let me know if these are okay - and if you have any suggestions for changes I'm all ears!

The below assumes that I'm allowed to take the aforementioned deed:

[Edit: This forum doesn't like tables and isn't allowing me to post images or links to Imgur. Any suggestions so I don't have to reformat the nice, neat table I just created?]

Edited by Mojake

Here is hoping Mojake!

Okay, getting down to the nuts of bolts of your questions:

1) We do have a character thread for the Blackthron/Swordhand game:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/344579-blackthornswordhand-character-thread/

2) No idea how to answer this one for you, Our current Libby or CM should be able to answer that for you.

3) Again, this one is for CM...

As for your edit question, you could always take the long and pain in the neck way of doing it and put it in by hand.

Edited by Steel Company

[Edit: This forum doesn't like tables and isn't allowing me to post images or links to Imgur. Any suggestions so I don't have to reformat the nice, neat table I just created?]

The Imgur thing I'm not sure about.  It might be blocked by the board.

As for tables and BBCode, you could always look at this. I regret I do not know how much help it will be as I have all the technical power of a geriatric, immolated rhino.

100xp left over - I don't think any advancements are that cheap?

There is, but it's not in the Core book.

Do you want to use a jump pack?  Pilot, (Personal) 100xp Rank 1 Space Marine Table. (Errata 1.1)

Its my first time doing anything like this and I really want to make a go at it because I love the lore and narrative side of this.

You're doing fine.

MR.