Archeotech - OOC and General Discussion

Trokair

Archeotech – Treasure Hunt Expedition

With the recent interest in PBP RPG and there being more interest than Commissar Molotov had spaces for I thought I would try and run a game as I really want to play one. Since I started contemplating this to other potential games have opened initial discussion threads, and truth be told I am interested in playing them, so this game may not happen for a while. However as I said in the interest thread that I would post detail to see if anybody is interested here it is.

Rumors of Archeotech  treasure on a Imperial planet has led to a joint expedition of the local Imperials and out of system organizations and all sorts of fortune seekers. The main expedition is thousands strong and is heading to the most promising sites. Our game will focus on a small band heading to investigate and survey some other potential sites.

I envision this very much as a narrative focused adventure games with a variety of characters. As I have no familiarity with any RPG rules this will be rules light game with any combat or similar using modified 40k tabletop rules.

The game is open to any sort of character that can be reasonably justified given the scenario. Local guide, lesser scion of an imperial noble house hunting for glory, guardsmen/PDF trooper seconded to the expedition, a Ministorum Priest, a bounty hunter down on his luck, whatever you can persuade me fits the setting.

If you are interested in general please let me know and also state what kind of character you would like to play and we will go from there.

Edit: more infomation on the setting, rules and so on can be found in this thread:
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/370201-archeotech-%E2%80%93-setting-rules-and-characters/

Edited by Trokair

Ah, the lure of Archeotech!

Really tempting to bring some AdMech or Hereteks into this! I am certainly interested,  but  probably have to see how this develops and if/ how / if I could fit in some time. I’ll certainly stick around for the ideas alone - I always wanted to to do some sort of InQ28 Archeotek Raiders project. 

Thank you Mazer Rackham, Xin Ceithan and Steel Company.

I’ll try and develop this more, though I expect that this will not kick off for a litel while as I am kind a committed to two other games now. The last day or so has been real busy here with new potential games opening up. I do however want to run this so do bear with me.

Like I said Trokair, I'm down for pretty much anything game wise so long as the GM wishes to run it, I'm also happy to be a sounding board for ideas as well.

I can also only echo this. I really like the idea and would be happy to play and develop this...and with the current rise of activity around here, taking a slow and steady burn suits me just fine. Always nice to have something to look forward to! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Time flies apparently.

I have worked out some stuff in the background and am hoping to get this kicked of this month (fingers crossed).

So, if you are interested in a rules light, narrative focused game please confirm below. Further information on character creation and setting will follow shortly.  

I'm thinking a member of an archaeotech-prospecting void clan? Their culture has traded technology salvaged from the hazardous ruins of their home-cluster in exchange for preferential treatment from the Mechanicus for generations, but with rumours that the old caches are running dry scouts are being sent out to identify new sources before tensions between the clans escalates into conflict.

While I still need to clean up my mess in Magellan‘s Devils, I do have some days off...

and I do enjoy the technobabble! 

But I am trying to ,earn from my mistakes and therefore wait for more information regarding character creation and setting this time before I go down another rabbit hole and the fail to shoehorn my high concept into the setting ;

But I am guessing this supposed to focus on the Imperial side of things with a suitably allowance for fringe elements ?

Yes this is set on an imperial world, so all characters must have a reasonable explanation how they got on planet and pass cursory inspection by the local Governors border control (or however that works).

That said the world will be at the crossroads of several trade routes, so plenty of orbital docs and people from all sorts of places.

Please see this thread for information on the setting and rules as I have the right now.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/370201-archeotech-%E2%80%93-setting-rules-and-characters/

So yes, at this point, if you are interested feel free to start developing your character and let me know in this thread so that we can work through it all.

Ideally I am looking for 4 to 6 players, but it can easily scale as needed.

One of you will need to volunteer to be the expedition leader (with a suitable narrative justification, and if there is more than one candidate then that could help with the opening narration as said characters try to work out who is in charge.

It would also be nice to have at least one person who is a local in the setting so that we are not just a bunch of offworlders wandering around aimlessly.

Obviously the world and setting will develop and evolve more as we go forward, both in character creation and through the narrative of the game. So if you have an idea that you feel fits do say.

Edited by Trokair

I'm thinking a member of an archaeotech-prospecting void clan? Their culture has traded technology salvaged from the hazardous ruins of their home-cluster in exchange for preferential treatment from the Mechanicus for generations, but with rumours that the old caches are running dry scouts are being sent out to identify new sources before tensions between the clans escalates into conflict.

Ok, sounds interesting.

My first thought would be that a group of these are on a hold over in the orbital docs, searching for information from the various traders and so on as to potential new hunting grounds.

The expedition is announced so a few of them decide to join up to scope out the potential of both the sites, or if they could gleam other information from the Arch Magos and his forces, they might have knowledge of potential sites are too insignificant for them, but would still be significant for your clans.

Sounds good to me.

Thinking of someone with only a couple of 'expeditions' under their belt, so has some experience but is looking for an opportunity to prove themselves to their clan.

The basic genestealer neophyte profile works, probably only armed with an autopistol, but might have some exploration/survival themed gear such as an auspex, photo-visor and industrial respirator. Probably cares less for what a piece of archaeotech is beyond "Will it kill me?" And "What will it get my clan?"

Sounds good again, as he is young and less experienced Ld will be 6 not 7, and as a more civilian role/lack of military training either BS or WS has to drop one point to 5+, your choice.

Auspexes have done many different things over the editions, none of which feel particularly relevant rules wise here. So for the propose of this game the asupex is a general purpose scanner (as it is described in lore) and if you use it additional information about the area you are in may be reveled depending on narrative needs. Photo-visor and respirator also sound good, I have no rules in min for them but if the situation where they would be of use develops negatively then you have and can use them.

Go ahead on working out some more details for your character, such a personality and so on so.

You can then make one post in Setting, Rules and Characters thread with details/description of the character and the profile and equipment (akin to the example character Harold Smith).

Tell me more.

Just throwing out some ideas based on that:

Ex Navy Bosun or crewboss, got into trouble with a senior officer over some illegal activity (his or the officers) and had to make a run for it, so jumped ship and ended up on one of the orbital docks as a pit fighter.

Factory worker on the outskirts of Einerzen ( the planetary capital) doing boxing/fighting matches for entertainment/extra money, refused to fix a fight and is on the run from a local gang. Ended up in Keringrat a little while before the expedition was announced and has been struggling to rebuild his life.

Indentured/slaved pit fighter in an illegal gambling place, escaped when the Arbiters and local police raided the place.

Edit, just saw your additional posts.     

Ex Guard/PDF special weapon trooper specializing in flamers could work.

Or even current trooper who has been (along side his squad/platoon/whatnot) seconded to the expedition and then assigned to this survey/sub expedition team.

I'm kinda still brainstorming what could be intersting tbh, the low power level doesn't leave a lot of options as far as I can see...

As this is narrative driven as long as the justification can be found it can be done.

I just did not want to start the game with space marine super human power level on something that is so much more mundane. 

Also as a fan of Eisenhorn and Co I like to explore a bit of the imperium that is not a constant warzone. 
Edited by Trokair