Jimbos PLOG - armies of all shapes and sizes.

jimbo1701
Go to solution Solved by Razblood,

That's a nice mini-diorama. :smile: The muddy base looks good, and I like how both of the characters have gotten appropriately muddy (cape, etc). :smile: 

I know the first image is there to show off the rather nice banner, but it does have the unfortunate effect of making it look like the two marines are hiding behind it :laugh: (or maybe it's just me :blush: )  

10 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

That's a nice mini-diorama. :smile: The muddy base looks good, and I like how both of the characters have gotten appropriately muddy (cape, etc). :smile: 

I know the first image is there to show off the rather nice banner, but it does have the unfortunate effect of making it look like the two marines are hiding behind it :laugh: (or maybe it's just me :blush: )  

Ha ha I hadn’t spotted that. ‘Let faith be our shield’ 

the muddy bases are very easy and forgiving. I discovered Vallejo textures - I’m on 3000 points of Templars so far and only 2/3 of the way the though the tub! 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all. 
As a recap this is a 5 year project that started with a few test models done towards the end of 2020 and then began in full earnest January of 2021. The idea is a paint a unit a month over 5 years. I have a big pile of stuff assembled and basecoated (though I will be trimming it down a little bit) and the idea is that I will spend the latter half of 2023 painting the leviathan box before working through the rest of that backlog and the new releases in 10th over the last 2 years of the project. Here’s what I have on the table to take me to end of June, plus photos of the test models, end of 2021 weigh in and end of 2022 weigh in. 

IMG_5118.jpeg

IMG_2969.jpeg

IMG_6384.jpeg

IMG_2711.jpeg

9 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

If you're painting one unit per month for 5 years, that's a lot of models! :ohmy: (60 units in the backlog?)

It looks like you've got through a good chunk of them so far though :smile: 

It’s 5 years start to end, so I’m about halfway through now. I think leviathan will take me 6 months so then approx 2 years to work through remaining stuff and any new releases in 10th. I have things like a gladiator, executioner and then the other half to lots of the existing squads such as eradicators etc sitting on the to-do pile. It’s been a lot of fun to see how much it grows over time with a consistent chipping away at it every month. 

IMG_7784.jpeg

Edited by jimbo1701

First photo. Minor update, nearly finished my May and June pledges. I’m not going to do much more on them before holiday and get back the day before leviathan drops and I expect I will then be immersed in assembly (can’t wait to get stuck into those terminators) but still should get these guys done before end of June. Plan is then to paint leviathan in second half of 2023, one unit a month (grouping characters into a single month) 

Second photo. Now the datasheets have dropped I have had a cull of my primaris marines, mainly veteran intercessors but also some surplus i was thinking to get rid of anyway. These will go on the pile for the next marine project which I hope to get stuck into next year. 

Third photo. This is the project pile to work through 2024-25. Mainly bolstering existing squads. I’ll add new 10th Ed releases to the pile also and probably expand on the new leviathan squads with the inevitable multipart releases. Plus a brutalis dreadnought. Finally, it breaks the army design but now the lines are more blurred I think a drop pod is needed. 

IMG_5260.jpeg

IMG_5257.jpeg

IMG_5258.jpeg

Edited by jimbo1701

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

Nice work - I like the dust on their boots, tying them into the bases :thumbsup:

Thanks. I decided I wanted to tie them into the landscapes as there’s something wrong looking about models on bases that don’t interact with their surroundings imo. Only models that don’t have this are the flying units in the army as they haven’t touched down. Some like the inceptors have scorch marks on the feet instead to represent orbital drop. 

1 hour ago, Mumeishi said:

Awesome work here, I like the dedication and effort!! , I do like the hard rule of a unit a month, it keeps you honest and on track I'm sure :tongue:

Cheers, M 

On track for sure. Honest……

There’s some flexibility in it for sure as long as you stick to the deadlines. I’m the sort of person that works well to deadlines and I think the moment I stop holding myself to it will be the moment I start falling behind. 
Group shot for the halfway weigh in:

64B2183A-1782-43E3-99FE-7AE90B3D3D13.jpeg