Jimbos PLOG - armies of all shapes and sizes.

jimbo1701
Go to solution Solved by Razblood,

4 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

They look great :thumbsup:

Is it a trick of the lighting/exposure, or are they a bit "brighter" than the last batch?

hi FC. I think it might be a trick of the light ie my total inability to take decent / consistent pics. The last ones have had an element of natural daylight to them whereas the first ones were in artificial light. Painting methods should be the same tho. I’m nearly done with the second wave now so I’ll take some side by side pics also. 

Looking at it, it looks like your camera's machine spirit picked different exposures for the previous two images. They can be tricksy and deceiving like that :angry: (mine once picked 3 different white balance settings for 3 images, despite the fact the first and last were taken within 0.5s of each other :facepalm:)

1 hour ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

Looking at it, it looks like your camera's machine spirit picked different exposures for the previous two images. They can be tricksy and deceiving like that :angry: (mine once picked 3 different white balance settings for 3 images, despite the fact the first and last were taken within 0.5s of each other :facepalm:)

reassuring to know I’m not the only one who has camera woes. I even bought a light tent and some studio lights years ago but still couldn’t get decent pics. I’ve taken some today in the lightest room in the house but still not great and still look different even though to the naked eye they are pretty much the same. 

IMG_0340.jpeg

IMG_0339.jpeg

IMG_0337.jpeg

IMG_0338.jpeg

10 hours ago, jimbo1701 said:

I even bought a light tent and some studio lights years ago but still couldn’t get decent pics. I’ve taken some today in the lightest room in the house but still not great and still look different even though to the naked eye they are pretty much the same. 

If it's any consolation, even on professional equipment, automatic exposure and white balance isn't 100% reliable. Looking at your images, I'm wondering if the daylight changed as you were taking them (sun going behind a cloud, etc) - the exposure for the second image is darker (shorter), and the third image is "warmer". Lighting can get complicated quick (diffusing the light source, balancing strength and colour balance of the light sources, etc). The Strobist is a fantastic resource - probably their most relevant article is the $10 macro studio.

8 hours ago, Rusted Boltgun said:

'Ello, 'ello, 'ello. Some good looking boys in blue there.

I especially like the muzzle burn on the pyreblasters - I think the gradient works really well.

thanks, super easy as well. 3 contrast paints in the order blue / orange / purple. Purple last to blend in both directions. Takes about 1 min. 

No updates in the past week as nurgles rot has eaten into hobby time. About halfway with the weekly pledge tho so will be delivered just a little late. No point turning a hobby into a chore. On the plus side I’m still on target to get the ultramarines finished before new baby arrives mid April and have finished the latest installment in my quest to organize and rebase my orks. 

IMG_0504.jpeg

Posted (edited)

A week beyond original estimates (but with a drop pod refreshed also) I’ve don’t the jump assault squad and rest of the bikers. I’m stretching this out to 8 weeks rather than 6 to keep things realistic. 5 hellblasters, 5 more intercessors, rest of the company heroes and ventris to go. Note the lack of infernus sergeant - waiting for combat patrol exclusive chap to be released. 

IMG_0591.jpeg

IMG_0588.jpeg

IMG_0587.jpeg

IMG_0586.jpeg

Edited by jimbo1701