State of the Union (Heresy)

I'd like to see the appearance of the Saturnine pattern actually receive a confirmation from the studio to put an end to the constant back and forth bickering. As it stands, the fanbase has just held on to the long-term assumption that the old Mark I Terminator Armour = Saturnine, despite there never being any written evidence to suggest as such. 

Mind you, Gav Thorpe posited that it was "supposed to be" Vulkan-pattern when a near-enough exact description of Mark I rocked up in his short story Deeds Endure. I like the idea of more legion-specific suits of Terminator armour than the older "hey, this pattern was for everyone" thing anyhow.

unknown.png

Yeah, I actually think it might be Arkonak given Saturnine's been described as functionally equivalent to Indomitus before (source) but there's such a fan consensus it's saturnine I've kinda given up mentioning it :happy.:

either way, I figure the 'vulkan' pattern is just a modification on the base MkI, like gorgon is for indomitus

Was the chat with Gav before or after this tweet?

https://twitter.com/GavThorpeCreate/status/1171866129339494400

nocturne-pattern.jpg

Here he calls it "Nocturne pattern", so he must have changed his mind about the name at some point.

I think Gav is just saying “the specific variant in this story was designed by Vulkan, so if it had a name, it would probably be something Salamander-y”. And that could mean a widespread “pattern” like Tartaros, or just a Legion “variant” like Praetorian or Pavane. He’s not really answering “what is the official name for the original Jes Goodwin Terminator from December 1988”. It probably doesn’t have one.

I doubt we’ll ever get an official name without miniatures, and due to all the knock-offs and trademark issues, the chances of any product being labelled “Saturnine” at this point are probably slim.

Also, people always forget there were 3 prototype Terminators in 88/89. This boy has as much claim to be the Saturnine pattern as ol’ Humpback, and just look at him: he’s furious about it!

bobnaismithterminator.png

Edited by Lucien Eilam

I was wondering about that, but not keeping track. Lets see what it'll say.

Surely therell be a new mini/new minis to be seen so thats always nice.

If its SoH again in june and IF in July one could expect maybe to get a book/box/whatever form of release concerning those 2 armies. As a fists player I'd of course love that.

That said: I'd love to see some dark mech

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

As I remember it Saturnine was never an official name for the armour but came from an online fan blog years ago where they listed all the types of armour. I think it was adopted from there are the norm but wasn't official.

If I where thinking about it from the CAD side and the recent praetor designs... I wonder if there's overlap between between designing the underlying silhouettes for the traitor legions second wave (closer to Terra, more chaos influence) and new plastic kits for the 40k range (Berserkers, Noise Marines, daemon engines, etc). It could even be a three stage process: basic silhouettes for everyone, late-stage Heresy silhouettes for traitors, 40k silhouettes for Chaos Marines. This would move the Heresy range more towards the Siege, result in minor upscaling of the Horus Heresy line, and keep specific design cues between the two lines.

As I remember it Saturnine was never an official name for the armour but came from an online fan blog years ago where they listed all the types of armour. I think it was adopted from there are the norm but wasn't official.

Saturnine is the official name for a pattern of Terminator armour, it’s from the blurb for the Terminator armour rules in Betrayal:

Several different Terminator armour patterns were developed roughly concurrently by different Forge Worlds during the later decades of the Great Crusade, including the Indomitus, Tartaros and Saturnine patterns, most of which were functionally identical.

And the December ’88 humpback prototype is also canon, there’s Heresy artwork of a squad wearing that pattern.

The connection of the name to the pattern is where fan speculation steps in.

There are plenty of cases where they mention things in the black books with no intention of ever showing, detailing or explaining it. It helps make the galaxy feel bigger, and gives players areas to explore on their own. So, it could just as well be two more patterns of Terminator armour – one where we have no name, another where we have no visual.

Saturnine is the official name for a pattern of Terminator armour, it’s from the blurb for the Terminator armour rules in Betrayal:

Yeah the blog was the first time I'd seen someone assign the name to the armour specifically. That is how I personally think that it may have started with the association.

It would make a great book - but it’s not very Sons of Horus vs Imperial Fists, or very Mk vi - so runs counter to the rumours. Would be nice if they gave us free rules, I thought it interesting they didn’t say “and you can find rules for him in the upcoming supplement ...”. Maybe it’s just more filling in the gaps (and very welcome that is)

It would make a great book - but it’s not very Sons of Horus vs Imperial Fists, or very Mk vi - so runs counter to the rumours. Would be nice if they gave us free rules, I thought it interesting they didn’t say “and you can find rules for him in the upcoming supplement ...”. Maybe it’s just more filling in the gaps (and very welcome that is)

I expect he'll get a PDF download on his listing page on the fw website when he's up for sale, then appear in the next fw hh publication.

I had a thought about that today while I should have been working, what if the Mk6 is just a tactical squad (like the mk3/4 were) and were painted up at SoH/IF for display purposes and the new box set is something else?

I grow more convinced that there's design overlap between HH and a new Chaos Marine range and that is impacting how they approach HH design and scheduling.

I predict that only extending to characters/ legion uniques leaning more chaotic as late heresy units. Those rumored mk VI will be plain jane, but in line with the CSM or deathwatch scale.

“YuO fOoLs tHe HErEsY iZ De… oh wait I’m just full of :censored: ”

let’s be honest, none of the trolls have enough humility to state how wrong they were. This is super exciting! Plastik Spartan??? I’m blown away…

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire