State of the Union (Heresy)

Speaking from experience it's highly likely that a specific employee was responsible for managing Heresy's marketing content and they weren't present for the meeting. When you have to shift the volume of marketing that Games Workshop does with a team that isn't particularly massive it's easy to slip-up.

Yeah, the font is really similar but is distinct. The Heresy one, in particular, has an "old ink damaged in places" feel to it. But in the small image on Sunday, they are similar enough that it's just another knife twist when combined with the color scheme.

One question I'm curious to hear thoughts on: are we going to see Saturnine armor appear in the system's future? I know it's not exactly in wide use by the time the Heresy came around but it'd be neat to see a Terminator or Power Armor mark that gets a relic status like Contemptors and Cataphractii Terminators do in 40k. I've been seeing some really good models coming out from third party vendors, so it would be nice to get an official data sheet even if there's no official model.

Edited by Cris R

One question I'm curious to hear thoughts on: are we going to see Saturnine armor appear in the system's future? I know it's not exactly in wide use by the time the Heresy came around but it'd be neat to see a Terminator or Power Armor mark that gets a relic status like Contemptors and Cataphractii Terminators do in 40k. I've been seeing some really good models coming out from third party vendors, so it would be nice to get an official data sheet even if there's no official model.

I would love there to be more stuff on the Great Crusade period. Some of the pre-Primarch legions (Dusk Raiders and things like that), conquest of the Solar System with the proto marines and armour etc. It's actually a really evocative area I think from a modelling perspective too for anyone that's into converting and modelling.

I'd like to see Saturnine pattern being like terminator devistators 3 marines with heavy bolters power fists and combi bolters with a load of different upgrades

When I eventually launch my 30k supplements project patreon later this year, one of the first units I'll be making a pdf for (in the style of my dimacharii design below) will be Terminator Support Squads, which'll be the only terminator unit aside from Command Squads able to take Saturnine, but yh similar vibes - arm heavy weapons, carapace special weapons (when equipped w/ saturnine) and power weapons.

Dimachaerii_Terminators_-_World_Eaters-1Dimachaerii_Terminators_-_World_Eaters-2

I'd like to see the appearance of the Saturnine pattern actually receive a confirmation from the studio to put an end to the constant back and forth bickering. As it stands, the fanbase has just held on to the long-term assumption that the old Mark I Terminator Armour = Saturnine, despite there never being any written evidence to suggest as such. 

Mind you, Gav Thorpe posited that it was "supposed to be" Vulkan-pattern when a near-enough exact description of Mark I rocked up in his short story Deeds Endure. I like the idea of more legion-specific suits of Terminator armour than the older "hey, this pattern was for everyone" thing anyhow.

unknown.png

I'd like to see the appearance of the Saturnine pattern actually receive a confirmation from the studio to put an end to the constant back and forth bickering. As it stands, the fanbase has just held on to the long-term assumption that the old Mark I Terminator Armour = Saturnine, despite there never being any written evidence to suggest as such. 

Mind you, Gav Thorpe posited that it was "supposed to be" Vulkan-pattern when a near-enough exact description of Mark I rocked up in his short story Deeds Endure. I like the idea of more legion-specific suits of Terminator armour than the older "hey, this pattern was for everyone" thing anyhow.

unknown.png

Yeah, I actually think it might be Arkonak given Saturnine's been described as functionally equivalent to Indomitus before (source) but there's such a fan consensus it's saturnine I've kinda given up mentioning it :happy.:

either way, I figure the 'vulkan' pattern is just a modification on the base MkI, like gorgon is for indomitus

I'd like to see Saturnine pattern being like terminator devistators 3 marines with heavy bolters power fists and combi bolters with a load of different upgrades

I like this idea, but I would keep it at a steady base unit of five. Keep that less than five squad silliness in 40k. Three isn't a squad, it's a band. At the time of the Crusade and the Heresy, we are operating with Legions, and I think that should be reflected. 

It would be fantastic to see generic Terminators that can all be armed with autocannons. Mmm... autocannons. 

Let's all ask ADB nicely. He made "choom" canon, surely he can do the same with "Saturnine" pattern? Or was the recent Siege of Terra novel of that name a deliberate attempt to get a different use of that word (please no spoilers, haven't read it yet)?

I’m not sure if it was deliberate attempt but certainly any time anyone mentions “Saturnine” in relation to the heresy then that’s what I’ll think of, not a pattern of armour. Even if you knew the reference was to a mark of armour, if you didn’t know the history of it I think there’s a good chance you’d think it must have something to do with the Saturnine in the novel.

If I recall correctly Saturnine armor is the Mk1 because it was the modified plasma reactor suits used during the Saturn campaigns of the Unity-era solar campaigns.

What you might be thinking of is  the Cataphractii Primus SoH relic background blurb in Conquest, which indicated that cataphractii is derived from suits used inside active plasma reactors.

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

If I recall correctly Saturnine armor is the Mk1 because it was the modified plasma reactor suits used during the Saturn campaigns of the Unity-era solar campaigns.

What you might be thinking of is the Cataphractii Primus SoH relic background blurb in Conquest, which indicated that cataphractii is derived from suits used inside active plasma reactors.

Circa the 'Rogue Trader' era, all TDA was derived from Plasma Reactor hard suits. Though, they were primarily referring to Indomitus-pattern - that being the bulk of the kits and art.

I don't know much about the current rules for LoTR (I played it when it first came out, but not in at least 10 years), but I was reading today's WarCom article and I found it interesting that each full list was a little over 30 models and how much a single character swap-out could change what a list did.

Wanted to flag this article which really botches the whole "Maloghurst is plastic" rumor using an incoherent chain of logic. The bit about "something cool coming for 30k" that came from industry insiders is interesting, but one would think the author would have confirmed the new mini is a plastic one with those purported sources.

Edited by Cris R

I wouldn't take anything that Spikeybitz says with a single shred of seriousness. Those rumors have been around for about a month and a half now though, so better late than never to report on them, well done Spike...

Rob Baer is a known tool, and has a history of publishing articles featuring content that was stolen, flat out fabricated or categorically false. I really wouldn't give SB any credit, and it wouldn't surprise me if he frequently trawls B&C for content to poach.

It's a mess of an article overall - Heresy has never had a starter set (although many consider BaC / BoP as close to one as we ever got), and we've had numerous prior miniatures that never stated who / where they were releasing, or in what material.

I wouldn't take anything that Spikeybitz says with a single shred of seriousness. Those rumors have been around for about a month and a half now though, so better late than never to report on them, well done Spike...

Rob Baer is a known tool, and has a history of publishing articles featuring content that was stolen, flat out fabricated or categorically false. I really wouldn't give SB any credit, and it wouldn't surprise me if he frequently trawls B&C for content to poach.

It's a mess of an article overall - Heresy has never had a starter set (although many consider BaC / BoP as close to one as we ever got), and we've had numerous prior miniatures that never stated who / where they were releasing, or in what material.

If I find an article on that website without a copy-editing problem or a deluge of ads, I consider it a minor miracle. But yes, Rob probably scrapped this thread and didn't cite it, which is something that Faeit 212 did when it reported on this rumor back in March.