State of the Union (Heresy)

Man huscarls look like a strong option. 275 for a 5 wound, 11 attack, 2+ 3++ scoring hq unit that can fill the compulsory slot?

Good stuff.

And they come with Teleporters included in the base unit cost which is nice.

Sol Gloves for S8 AP1 Master-Crafted isn't too bad of an option as their only access to weapons that ID T4.

Yea they're positioned to be useful in both rites.

Solarites are great, but I think you have to decide if you want an efficient scoring hq choice, or a beatstick melee unit. Because even with a 5 man the solarites boost the cost to 325 and they'll draw some attention.

Wow, what an unexpected treat.

There is a tiny bit of me that thinks these are bits that “didn’t quite fit” in previous plans, and they are releasing now because when the box comes (maybe next year now?) we’ll move to Heresy 2.0 and it won’t be backwards compatible?

I think that is highly unlikely tbh, given GW/FWs long track record of shelving unreleased content that doesn't fit with a the direction a particular game system is moving (see various Black Book incarnation and the 40k Adeptus Mechanicus book that was planned). Think it's just a way of trying something new and gauging interest in AoD without having to actually physically print anything.

Yeah I was thinking something similar. Why would they give us something like this when the new box is around the corner?

I mean a new edition means new rules and would probably invalidate some of this?

Devil's advocate in me says they will give us something to satisfy the need for a new 'things' because they know the leaked contents of the box will come much later than we expect.

FW deleting the talk about the new box on their FB posts.

C'mon GW, spill the beans. Even if it's: "This is coming, this is included (ideally weapons breakdown of the Contemptor) but you still have to wait a couple of months due to production/logistics."

Really, they are doing that, deleting it? Thats interesting, though as usual that can be interpreted in more ways than 1.

New edition means new rules but it doesn't necessarily make everything obsolete though?

None of the substantial rumours I've seen have suggested that Heresy 2.0 will be as big a sea change as from 40k 7th to 8th edition. Might have missed something but if they're staying with 7th edition style rules then there is no reason for everything previously released to be useless?

FW deleting the talk about the new box on their FB posts.

C'mon GW, spill the beans. Even if it's: "This is coming, this is included (ideally weapons breakdown of the Contemptor) but you still have to wait a couple of months due to production/logistics."

Really, they are doing that, deleting it? Thats interesting, though as usual that can be interpreted in more ways than 1.

They do this alot, their IG posts are like 40% people calling them on it XD

New edition means new rules but it doesn't necessarily make everything obsolete though?

None of the substantial rumours I've seen have suggested that Heresy 2.0 will be as big a sea change as from 40k 7th to 8th edition. Might have missed something but if they're staying with 7th edition style rules then there is no reason for everything previously released to be useless?

I really hope so. At least they gave us something and it is free. I'll take it and will be patiently waiting for this new awesome box. :-)

There is a tiny bit of me that thinks these are bits that “didn’t quite fit” in previous plans, and they are releasing now because when the box comes (maybe next year now?) we’ll move to Heresy 2.0 and it won’t be backwards compatible?

I had the same internal debate, but wondered then if they’d have just held off and revised them with any hypothetical new rules/ruleset, rather than publishing ‘as is’ if they’ve been in development for a little while and instead of needing to update shortly after issuing?

It’ll be interesting to see what other narrative conflicts will be released in the same way in this mini-series: any thoughts from the collective? I’d imagine some of the bigger events would be covered still in any future book or supplement, so I’ll presume these would be smaller actions in the main.

Its a good little release, people are happy to see it. Honestly things are such a closed box at FW these days it could mean almost anything on a broader front and i suspect you might go mad trying to guess. The only thing likely to go obselete if they change edition tomorrow would be the Huscarls and they might both be in new rulebooks or fieldable as regular terminators anyway.

Saw some AL peeps complaining in the news thread on mission packs about not getting a new legion uniqe unit. You guys have praetors, one of the top primarch sculpts, a contemptor and two legion specific units (laemean termi's and headhunters) with kits. Also able to take any other legion unique, even if it's only a mere singular RoW. Apart from a legion styled Levi dread, what more would you honestly want? I don't get it.

Edit- also a named character with model.

Edited by MegaVolt87

Saw some AL peeps complaining in the news thread on mission packs about not getting a new legion uniqe unit. You guys have praetors, one of the top primarch sculpts, a contemptor and two legion specific units (laemean termi's and headhunters) with kits. Also able to take any other legion unique, even if it's only a mere singular RoW. Apart from a legion styled Levi dread, what more would you honestly want? I don't get it.

I mean, you know the later legions get more stuff anyway but literally off the top of my head and ignoring you moving the goal posts to models instead of rules:

Headhunters and Exodus kinda suck and need some tweaks, headhunters are worse than seekers, Exodus just needs a better gun.

Learnans are shiny but... Dont really do anything special? Give em a Super teleport or something to fit the fluff.

Effrit/Stealth squads, the Iconic AL squad from the books.

Operatives, Could be a unit, character, even a ROW allying in SA/Militia, another iconic and interesting unit.

Coils of the Hydra is cool, but its perhaps too cool, its a no-brainer. helped ofc by the Headhunter Leviathal being terribad though.

Omegon would be cool, probably as a loadout option for "Alpharius"

So yeah plenty of new units to add, the models point is irrelevant as that obviously was not in scope for this project.

I mean, you know the later legions get more stuff anyway but literally off the top of my head and ignoring you moving the goal posts to models instead of rules:

Headhunters and Exodus kinda suck and need some tweaks, headhunters are worse than seekers, Exodus just needs a better gun.

Learnans are shiny but... Dont really do anything special? Give em a Super teleport or something to fit the fluff.

Effrit/Stealth squads, the Iconic AL squad from the books.

Operatives, Could be a unit, character, even a ROW allying in SA/Militia, another iconic and interesting unit.

Coils of the Hydra is cool, but its perhaps too cool, its a no-brainer. helped ofc by the Headhunter Leviathal being terribad though.

Omegon would be cool, probably as a loadout option for "Alpharius"

So yeah plenty of new units to add, the models point is irrelevant as that obviously was not in scope for this project.

Point 1- rules tweak, point 2- rules tweak, Point 3- sure I see a unit there- super dper vet squad?, Point 4- could easy be just a ROW that incorporates army/milita/cults with legion units that don't really need AL specific mortals IMO, Point 5- other RoW could probably use a re-work then because coils is awesome IMO. I thing NL had their RoW buffed later as a comparison (?), point 6- yeah missed opportunity, all that was needed was a separate bald head to do it, still could be done via a rules tweak.

People wee complaining about MODELS, I am not against new rules. AL sure I guess maybe one new unit maybe but all things considered, but completely new stuff apart from missing models isn't really needed in most cases IMO. Heck I don't know what new unit IW could have, I would be happy with the missing named characters, a Iron Havoc kit, praetors and the legion levi.  Etched brass, termi pads and PA torso's returning would also be welcome. 

People wee complaining about MODELS, I am not against new rules.

This is a lie. People didn't *complain* in the first place, most seemed pretty happy about the whole development, and neither did they primarily complain about a lack of MODELS on the Alpha Legion side of things - people just seemed a bit disappointed at what seems to have been a potential opportunity to give new RULES for a fluffy/fun/creative unit for each of the two involved legions, not just one.

I know this because I was literally the first person to post that in the given thread.

Except this IF Huscarl unit fills the gap of an IF legion unique termi squad. Look, all I am saying is when legions at this point have less than others I think its reasonable to expect the have nots to get something in these new expansions, especially in the first few over those that are nicely filled out like AL. 

The IF aren't "have nots" though, they're easily a contender for best catered for legion in the setting at the moment. While they lack(ed) a unique terminator unit of their own, they already had access to unique wargear which does much the same thing. Both the AL and the IF are very well-rounded.

It's not the end of the world, as a piece of free content this pack is incredible, and I can't wait to see more. But it would have been nice for every featured faction to receive something just because a new unit/converting opportunity is such a huge deal for the game at this point, regardless of how lucky a legion has been over the years (and some absolutely need attention more than others). Nothing wrong with AL fans expressing a little disappointment, & I've seen nobody complaining. Honestly this is the most feel-good reception I've seen from the HH community in years.

Hopefully the next c. year or so is going to have so much content for HH fans, whether or not a legion receives a unit or w/e in a pack like this will be quickly forgotten. :tongue.:

I had the same internal debate, but wondered then if they’d have just held off and revised them with any hypothetical new rules/ruleset, rather than publishing ‘as is’ if they’ve been in development for a little while and instead of needing to update shortly after issuing?

It’ll be interesting to see what other narrative conflicts will be released in the same way in this mini-series: any thoughts from the collective? I’d imagine some of the bigger events would be covered still in any future book or supplement, so I’ll presume these would be smaller actions in the main.

Well with Argel Tal going up for pre-order this coming weekend, we'll know whether the Shadow Crusade will be featured as one of the three narrative conflict soon enough, because the big man needs some rules...

One of my friends is convinced the huscarls are a hard pass haha

I followed some online discussions about them.

My conclusion is, that they are an ok choice in your army.

Not a game changer.

Tartaros with the same gear are only 10 points cheaper, exactly like Phoenix Terminators.

Not a game changer.

Tartaros with the same gear are only 10 points cheaper, exactly like Phoenix Terminators.

Tartaros with the same gear are at least 40 points more expensive, since you don't need to spend points on your compulsory HQ with huscarls.

At the end of the day it really comes down to what style of 30k you play. If it's any mode where holding objectives and scoring is important like ZM or some of the better missions in 2500-3000 point range, then huscarls are a very good unit. If you play apoc/mega battle 30k where it's about the large scale spectacle and pie plates scoop stuff up left and right, then ya they're not impressive.

You dont need to convince me.

I am going to build and play them.

But going through enough online comments like Huscarl suck cause they are to expensive and no Firedrakes is annoying.

The rules have been out for a day and i doubt anyone even used them yet.

You dont need to convince me.

I am going to build and play them.

But going through enough online comments like Huscarl suck cause they are to expensive and no Firedrakes is annoying.

The rules have been out for a day and i doubt anyone even used them yet.

More just pointing out that people don't analyze them properly, which is what leads to a lot of the hot takes. Also a lot of people like megabattle 30k where FOC considerations don't matter, furthering those hot takes. 

Not a game changer.

Tartaros with the same gear are at least 40 points more expensive, since you don't need to spend points on your compulsory HQ with huscarls.

To be fair, the HQ tax is somewhat moot if you're taking an HQ choice with the intent of actually using it (and the kit IFs have access to makes their vanilla characters potentially some of the best).

I've yet to see anyone complain that Huscarls aren't particularly good (as I've expressed elsewhere, they feel like a sideways/slight diagonal step from Legion Terminators), but they are quite mechanically bland, not to mention a missed opportunity for an extremely cool Tartaros unit in the style of the Praetor - which could still be coming, I'm not necessarily certain that these are the final iteration of Huscarls. It's more the fact that they are just a slightly more tailored version of the Legion Terminators, without the interesting special rules reserved for others. I've no doubt they'll appear in good IF lists, but that flavour feels missing in a Legion that is already somewhat lacking in it.