State of the Union (Heresy)

The Various Chaos Cult troops favouring specific Mk's of armour is ooooold stuff, going back to the very first four Cult marine models and Jes Goodwins notes in Rogue trader and is closely intertwined with the development of Power armour in general. Its a little hidden by most cult marine having fancy helmets but its there.

The last few black books have already given Mk6 to the Scars, Dark Angels, and Night Lords in various numbers, so it seems they've been opening the door in recent years for more common Mk6 by the end of the Heresy anyway.

Of course whether this is tied into the plastic Mk6 all along is another matter for debate!

Edited by Darkwrath121

Broadening the use of the various Mk's makes a lot of sense in general, when the original article on them was written they were a handful of alternate sculpt models for variety or in the case of mk6, also the older range suffering from scale creep. They thought at best people would make units at most, not whole armies :) 

The article did highlight an oddity though, Horus kinda expected the White Scars to join him, whilst the Night Lords were pretty much entirely renegade in the last few years of the crusade, It feels odd that one got mk4 priority and not the other, though as the article is written in universe it could just be the writer does not know, and i would expect the Night lords got lots of Mk4 on Istvaan anyway.

Having re-read it today, the Mk3 bit mentions it being used by the Death Guard and their future Plauge Marines and the MkIV not being used by the Thousand Sons as much until Mid-Late war and would continue to appear on their oddity of the Rubics. So yeah, I think they are laying the seeds for the future cult troops and will probably do the armour marks for the Heresy first (if rumours are to be believed Mk2/5 will be coming after the box drops).

@Noserenda: I agree, I've read a few bits online lately (mainly due to the Atramentar geting Tartaros) that the Night Lords shouldn't have been supplied as well as the more 'sane' traitors because they were a broken tool by the end of the crusade and, as you say, all but renegade in name.

Edited by No Foes Remain

@Noserenda: I agree, I've read a few bits online lately (mainly due to the Atramentar geting Tartaros) that the Night Lords shouldn't have been supplied as well as the more 'sane' traitors because they were a broken tool by the end of the crusade and, as you say, all but renegade in name.

There’s always the five-flensing claw discount when they run into resupply fleets for other legions (which is basically what the White Scars were doing before Scars).

Thing to remember there was that Mk IV started showing up about 40 years before the Heresy broke which was about the time that Lorgar was leaning to the dark side based on First Heretic. Given we now have the known means of how a Legion was resupplied at the end of a campaign via Forge World Imprints it's likely that they could have been fully stocked up and using it for a number of decades before it all kicked off. 

Thanks for posting that, NFR.

Last paragraph mentions that Mark VI would end up being associated with the Emperor’s Children and that “have been observed to field troops who are evidently the descendents of the dread Kacophoni. […] appear to favour a heavily debased and corrupted variant of Corvus armor[…].”

Well hello there

You know, thinking on this I thought of the current forge world kakaphonii minis and the dude with the hose coming out from the front of his helmet, could that be the converted/warped mk6?

My guess is that tidbit might be foreshadowing more towards some eventual 40k Noise Marine update or sonic heavy squad favoring MK VI Corvus armour, not necessarily anything 30k. If they were talking about 30k, they would just say that they are Kakophoni, not 'evidently the descendants of...'.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Regarding 30k era Kakophoni, they wear modified Mark IV:

Variant power armour, unknown designation, unknown modifications, principal 'Maximus' pattern progenitor indicated.

The Mark VI reference is an effort to link back to Jes Goodwin's original sketch & sculpt for the EC:

vacgqFs.png

You can even see that the 2018 Noise Marine has elements of Mark VI in his suit. I doubt we'll see any Mark VI units for EC made by FW, but it seems very likely that it'll be the armour of choice when they eventually get around to a proper 40k release.

Edited by Marshal Loss

Exactly as Marshall Loss says, there are similar sketches for all 4 cult legions and thats where they got the preferred armour from, its not laying the ground work, its treading it :) 

If anyone has those sketches you should post em!

There are a lot of them, but here are the ones that formed the foundation for the aesthetic of the other three cult legions:

TWD3SII.png

3MfhWJl.jpg

bu8HmE0.jpg

There are quite a few floating around for World Eaters as well (e.g. the sketch that was the inspiration for Lheor in the Black Legion series).

Off tangent, does that gun exist within HH (I think it's a Disintegration Gun)?

If I recall correctly, I don't think that gun has been made since the Imperial Space Marine was released.

If I recall correctly, I don't think that gun has been made since the Imperial Space Marine was released.

Not yet :)

Edited by Augusta_Vespa

Is it supposed to be the same thing the Sagitarum Guard have? Combination bolter and disintegration ray?