State of the Union (Heresy)

I still don't believe there will be a spartan in box, rather it will be an "upgrade" box. Happy if it happens but I just don't think it will be.

I still don't believe that there is a box at all but I force myself to in order to be happy. :teehee:

I still don't believe there will be a spartan in box, rather it will be an "upgrade" box. Happy if it happens but I just don't think it will be.

The pics clearly show a Spartan. 

The pic clearly shows a table and that won't be in there as well :whistling:

They can pretty much charge anything 

You can stop there, because:

I got to be honest. I will pay almost any price. Was saving for some time now. I won't bei denied!!!! :-D

this. :biggrin.:

If that makes you happy who am I to judge?

I never bought Grandmaster boxes because it is just ridiculously priced, but if peolple want it they should get it.

If it is limited I won't buy it and so should you.

We have only this option to stop GW from doing this scam they pull off for years now.

Remember cursed city?

I do.

There is no reason why they put a box like this in a limited spot but to force every fan to buy like crazy.

It's a bad move and we should definitely not support this.

But otherwise I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :wink:

I get what you are saying though I imagine if we somehow manage to boycott a eagerly awaited release, GW will see the low sales and only release what they have produced and have sitting in a warehouse and shelf or significantly scale back the initial releases drastically. GW won't put the time into something that doesn't sell like crazy.

Self fulfilling prophecy right there. If we buy anything GW throws at us it will only be proof to GW that we buy anything and are mindless customers.

That's happened to 40k and AOS and this will happen to AOD. What idea should GW get if they ring a limited box and it sells like crazy other than "Oh, this sales strategy works, let's kepp doing it."? They are in the perfect spot right now. They can forecast to their investors the exact number of items they will sell at a certain moment.

That is the kind of stuff a company dreams of.

"We will sell 1000 boxes at 24.11. for 300€ a piece." 

THAT'S what happened in 40k and AOS and that's why they won't stop.:down:

Or maybe they bring a regular box like in AT which comes always back which I would be cool with. :wink:

I see to struggle to buy it, though, because I don't like MKVI very much and don't really need a Spartan.  :wacko.:

The pics clearly show a Spartan. There is no way any existing plastic kit could be a Spartan with a mere upgrade kit. Plastic spartan would also open up the unit as an accessible LOW in 40k for the Average Joe because its plastic. The fact its stacked with Mk VI and the retcons to its availability in a recent WD- GW wants 40k people buying this for SM armies as well. An upgrade kit instead of a full Spartan kit would rob the box of much of its prestige and price justification. I could see this box being at least AUD$300 minimum. 

That's not what I am saying. I am saying that I believe the spartan is a FULL PLASTIC kit but its on its own as an expansion box.

So you'd conceivably get the main box and to "expand your collection" you add a spartan. If it was in the box, it would be much more in frame on the leaked pics instead of only half shown in frame. It also might just be half in frame because we only have two pictures but we honestly don't know anything at this point.

Edited by Spagunk

The pics clearly show a Spartan. There is no way any existing plastic kit could be a Spartan with a mere upgrade kit. Plastic spartan would also open up the unit as an accessible LOW in 40k for the Average Joe because its plastic. The fact its stacked with Mk VI and the retcons to its availability in a recent WD- GW wants 40k people buying this for SM armies as well. An upgrade kit instead of a full Spartan kit would rob the box of much of its prestige and price justification. I could see this box being at least AUD$300 minimum. 

That's not what I am saying. I am saying that I believe the spartan is a FULL PLASTIC kit but its on its own as an expansion box.

So you'd conceivably get the main box and to "expand your collection" you add a spartan. If it was in the box, it would be much more in frame on the leaked pics instead of only half shown in frame. It also might just be half in frame because we only have two pictures but we honestly don't know anything at this point.

Basically we all are playing poker with crisps, really.

We saw some MKVI, we saw some blurry charakters, we saw half a Spartan... that's it.

We'll see.

SATURDAY we will see. 

Because I want to hope!

Give me hope, Joanna!

Personally I'm not too fussed about the exact contents of a potential starter, with the way GW operates we're going to be getting good value so it'll be a great way to start a new legion or add to our current collections! I'm more interested in the long term support for the game. Id like to know if the rumour of the heresy becoming the third main game are true and what the new plastic support will look like.

A starter set that is just the marines, terminiators, characters and the contemptor would still be excellent. If they then went look heres a plastic spartan and were going to release all these other things in plastic  (ideally all armour variants, assault marines, breachers, any vehicle with a rhino chasis, jet bikes and outriders) that would be amazing. 

y thto release all these other things in plastic  (ideally all armour variants, assault marines, breachers, any vehicle with a rhino chasis, jet bikes and outriders) that would be amazing. 

Sure, but won't happen because that would kill FW business.

Those are FW parts and models and I don't see GW take over.

Having to build a resin Storm Eagle soon I would like that as well, to be honest, but I just can't see it happen.

y thto release all these other things in plastic  (ideally all armour variants, assault marines, breachers, any vehicle with a rhino chasis, jet bikes and outriders) that would be amazing. 

Having to build a resin Storm Eagle soon I would like that as well, to be honest, but I just can't see it happen.

With the Old world coming out from forgeworld shifting heresy stuff over to plastic wont harm them. I think keeping all the current kits as resin and then adding another big and potentially popular game to forgeworld would be too much for a reportedly small team and would negatively affect both games. I don't think I'm suggesting a lot of kits to be honest and if they're going to make heresy a core game id say they are the minimum amount of kits that need to be produced in plastic. Forgeworld would still be making the bigger tanks and the legion specific units.

I remember reading an article pre pandemic where someone on the heresy team suggested everyone will be playing Heresy soon, this isnt going to happen without significant investment into plastics. If theyve made a plastic spartan i cant see why its out of the question for them to produce the deimos pattern rhino, predator, whirlwind and vindicator.

With the Old world coming out from forgeworld shifting heresy stuff over to plastic wont harm them. I think keeping all the current kits as resin and then adding another big and potentially popular game to forgeworld would be too much for a reportedly small team and would negatively affect both games. I don't think I'm suggesting a lot of kits to be honest and if they're going to make heresy a core game id say they are the minimum amount of kits that need to be produced in plastic. Forgeworld would still be making the bigger tanks and the legion specific units.

I remember reading an article pre pandemic where someone on the heresy team suggested everyone will be playing Heresy soon, this isnt going to happen without significant investment into plastics. If theyve made a plastic spartan i cant see why its out of the question for them to produce the deimos pattern rhino, predator, whirlwind and vindicator.

I won't argue.

First I don't know either what will happen and second it sounds at least plausable.

We'll see.

Oh one thin though: 

If they want to have everyone play HH they must change the system to 9th edition and add xenos factions.

Hm, but they'd probably loose a lot of core HH player that way... difficult. ;)

A Company level wargame like AoD needs plastic kits to be successful outside of a niche and GW knows they are going to make more money off of a broadly successful game :D Its not going to be the third main game, thats just people still confusing the Horus Heresy IP and the Age of Darkness wargame, they are not the same thing, AoD is just an expression of the Horus Heresy. Though it might get formalised as a proper SG rather than existing in a weird limbo like LotR.

All the leaks seemed to be photos of photos, so while we can be pretty sure all those minis will be released we dont know exactly what might be in any boxes, the photos are just as likely to be for WD or WHC or other marketing stuff as the back of the box itself.

The way GW/FW operates these days id eat my hat if there isnt some kind of splash release or starter box :D 

I won't argue.

First I don't know either what will happen and second it sounds at least plausable.

We'll see.

Oh one thin though: 

If they want to have everyone play HH they must change the system to 9th edition and add xenos factions.

Hm, but they'd probably loose a lot of core HH player that way... difficult. :wink:

But then that’s just people playing 9th edition 40k with a few new marine units. For it to be its own system, it needs to be its own system like it currently is. 

Edited by spinitron

Yeah i mean if they were only following the money they would definitely just convert AoD back to being a 40k supplement, it was more popular and accessible then and the player growth from 8th edition onwards was insane (Though i think they are currently busy wrecking that)  but i think there is definitely more going on than raw profit motive and there is room to run two systems in the same space with only a little crossover.

Im just hoping they have built a better system this time around :)  
(Though i dont think a return to using the core 40k system and writing a better codex stable would be bad either)

Yeah i mean if they were only following the money they would definitely just convert AoD back to being a 40k supplement, it was more popular and accessible then and the player growth from 8th edition onwards was insane (Though i think they are currently busy wrecking that)  but i think there is definitely more going on than raw profit motive and there is room to run two systems in the same space with only a little crossover.

Im just hoping they have built a better system this time around :smile.:  

They already have.

It is called Age of Darkness.

We only need some tweaks here and there and an overhaul of the army lists.

That's it.

Im just hoping they have built a better system this time around :smile.:  

They already have.

It is called Age of Darkness.

We only need some tweaks here and there and an overhaul of the army lists.

That's it.

I agree the age of darkness rule set is already pretty good, I never see too many genuine complaints about the actual rules and I have no real complaint myself other than how the psychic phase works. For me the only thing that really needs fixing are some of the unit rules and points costing. Judging by the fact the leaked images show scatter dice id like to thin GW recognises this! People seem to have a downer on the 7th edition rule set because of how they remember it in 40k with all the formations which don't exist in 30k and the faction imbalance which is easy to fix considering 19 of the roughly 25 options are all space marines.

Alright, all the Primarchs have a model. I think this could be the tipping point into the phase two the mini designer's always talked about, where the traitors start getting more chaos-y and we get minis and rules for Daemon-Prince Angron, Arch-Heretic Lorgar, Luperci, etc. A new starter box and edition to go with  the launch of phase 2 would make sense. 

I'd dig Alternative Primarchs.

Some of the Loyalists as well, Khan with bike, Russ with spear for example.

And they hinted at the new box but damn, they should have just come out with it.

Oh well, no excuse not to order Chalnath now.

Well I am very excited to finally see the Khan and extremely happy for White Scars fans. I think it's a great model. I would love to see a jetbike version but I can only shudder at the thought of the cost.

Alright, all the Primarchs have a model. I think this could be the tipping point into the phase two the mini designer's always talked about, where the traitors start getting more chaos-y and we get minis and rules for Daemon-Prince Angron, Arch-Heretic Lorgar, Luperci, etc. A new starter box and edition to go with  the launch of phase 2 would make sense. 

I think it'd be very exciting: a chance to just consolidate things, and see us through the next (ten?) Black Books. (One can dream!)

Well I am very excited to finally see the Khan and extremely happy for White Scars fans. I think it's a great model. I would love to see a jetbike version but I can only shudder at the thought of the cost.

I mean how much was display base sanguinius? Iirc, a lot, and I'd pay that or a bit for two actual models. That being said, foot khan is basically trash ruleswise, and bike khan means you can't actually use their jetbike rite of war, but you still get two actual models.

I think Kahns model looks like his torso is meant to fit on a jetbike as well. Other backpack and left arm of course, but that will be it. And the bike version will come.

Oh, and let's not forget.

I told you so.

Boxset on a lame saturday... yeah sure. ;)

@MCC You're right.

There are roughly three kind of people who don't like AoD.

First ones you meantioned.

Second are the very casual gamers who either play a lot of different games or very rarely at all because of way to many different reasons to list them.

Third are the players who aren't meant to be for this level of complexity (yet). Like type two way too many reasons to list.

Edited by Gorgoff