Warhawk by Chris Wraight

Has there been a date for the LE yet? I havent seen anything but just wanna make sure I haven't missed anything

No date yet, though we know nothing’s coming this weekend.

Dont know how reliable amazon is but they have it listed as october 12 (i believe BL changed approach and is now offering LE and standard at the same time):

https://www.amazon.com/Warhawk-6-Chris-Wraight/dp/1789999529/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=33E30V86KH4TU&dchild=1&keywords=warhawk+siege+of+terra&qid=1630519393&sprefix=warhawk&sr=8-3

Has there been a date for the LE yet? I havent seen anything but just wanna make sure I haven't missed anything

Dont know how reliable amazon is but they have it listed as october 12 (i believe BL changed approach and is now offering LE and standard at the same time):

https://www.amazon.com/Warhawk-6-Chris-Wraight/dp/1789999529/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=33E30V86KH4TU&dchild=1&keywords=warhawk+siege+of+terra&qid=1630519393&sprefix=warhawk&sr=8-3

Yeah Amazon dates have been iffy this year with all the delays. Where’d you hear they stopped using exclusivity windows?

It's nice to hope. It would make a lot of sense I suppose, because after all the final arc of the Siege is going to be penned by three fan-favourite authors, covering the most iconic events of the battle, and following the climax of Mortis, there is a palpable, in-universe sense of 'this is it' (see Dorn's speech after chatting with Corswain - one of the most underrated moments of the book in my opinion). That being said, I still expect the grimoire-tome edition to drop sometime before Christmas and the hardback edition to drop three months or so after that. If BL does decide to go with a simultaneous release, I would love to know if it's because they feel like they're losing out on sales (especially ordinary hardback sales - and Siege hardbacks seem to have much bigger print runs than ordinary 40k hardbacks do), because I suspect a lot of people (myself included) would rather read a new book's spoilers on a classic Reddit bulletpoint thread before indulging in one of the three editions later

Regarding Warhawk itself, this book will obviously serve as the culmination of Chris Wraight's White Scars journey (here's hoping for a 'Horus Heresy: The Scouring' entry, serving as a post-Heresy mirror and bookend to the goings-on in Warhawk of Chogoris, and setting up the Khan's exodus into the Webway/harking back to the whole Slaanesh/Cegorach/Fulgrim switcheroo briefly mentioned in Scars). But, based on the retailer blurb out there we know he's also penned Sigismund donning the black - perhaps one of the most desired and anticipated moments in all of 40k. I've always loved this moment because it serves as the reconciliation between Sigismund and Dorn. Perhaps reconciliation is the wrong word, but a kind of recognition and acceptance from parent to child. Of course, this moment has been somewhat diluted by their pally scenes at both the Lion's Gate Spaceport and on top of the Saturnine Wall, but John French still laid the foundation for it in The Solar War with Dorn gaslighting Sigismund on board the Persephone. McNeill is known for being a huge Black Templars fan, so perhaps this was what he was referring to

Either way, with the post/current-covid struggles BL seems to be having at the minute, knocking the fandom's socks off with a simultaneous release of a top-tier book would be a stroke of genius

IMHO not releasing the Ltd Ed and standard HB simultaneously has always been a duff move!

1. There will always be a market for collectors editions. Some people want the exclusivity of a nicer, leather bound, numbered and signed edition. Plus some exclusive extra (but not essential) content.

2. It dilutes the excitement and fan led discussions on the book if you make everyone else wait 3 months for the std HB.

3. If the reviews of the Ltd Ed are poor then BL miss out on sales of Std HB as people decide to either miss it or wait for PB. Simultaneously releasing them would actually drive sales based on excitement.

Re Simultaneous releases.

During the era when they did this a fair few books did not sell out at launch, or even for a few weeks as people either presumably brought the normal hardbacks or did not succumb to FOMO.

My guess is BL looked at the numbers and saw that they could make more confirmed sales by early LE's on products they were both unsure on (get the confirmed sales before reviews hit the shelves) and stuff they knew would sell regardless (seige of terra).

Then only stuff that's Pretty middle of the road would be simulationeous.

If anyone remembers when Black Legion had a same day LE and HB - it didn't sell out for 2 weeks. If it could happen to ADB's Black Legion, it could happen to anything.

That said: I still despise with a passion early LE releases. They are anti consumer and there is no defending them from a pro buyer pov in my opinion. It's manipulative and should go away.

If Warhawk becomes a same day HB and LE I'll be ecstatic. But I know BL tried that method before and probably decided it was more financially viable to split the releases up. Games workshop has a big marketing team - I doubt they would do it without a reason. It's probably just a very anti consumer reason

Someone on Facebook got sent the hardback early from Amazon AU. 

I saw that, and he has also shared artwork from inside the book which may contain some huge spoilers.  so everyone who wants to avoid spoilers need to be on their guard for the foreseeable.  

Oh, I managed to miss that luckily. 

I saw that, and he has also shared artwork from inside the book which may contain some huge spoilers. so everyone who wants to avoid spoilers need to be on their guard for the foreseeable.

Which group is it in?

I saw that, and he has also shared artwork from inside the book which may contain some huge spoilers. so everyone who wants to avoid spoilers need to be on their guard for the foreseeable.

Which group is it in?

I’ve seen it in the black library nutters group and the BL sales group, the former has deleted it not sure about the latter.  OP has posted it across other groups as well I believe (he was pimping it out for $250 aus but backtracked on that as a joke when he was called out for it, so who knows what his actual intention was).

It was amazon Australia who sent it to him. 

Some dude on Reddit is claiming to have also got his hands on it. If GW/BL were planning on a simultaneous release then it's pretty sad some random retailer has torpedoed them. Oh well, victory for the proletariat and all that

Edited by Bobss

I find nothing sad about it, to be honest. BL :cussed up big time with constant delays, which are particularly laughable when stock is so clearly available in warehouses / at retailers already.

It's much more likely that this is the reason why they might have considered a simultaneous release in the first place - delays on the Limited Edition, hardback print run ready to go.

Frankly, I don't fault retailers for not wanting to sit on stock for at least another month even if the currently set dates are actually holding up and not getting pushed back again to accomodate the mythical limited edition that retailers won't even see. Especially since Australian retailers have the whole import tax stuff going on - especially smaller retailers won't want to sit on a very expensive premium product for months.

This falls flat on BL/GW's logistics department. They've failed on all ends, scheduling, production, communication, global distribution, marketing...

It may not just be Amazon who have supplies.  Galaxy Books (Sydney, Oz) just put up the preview covers for September releases and Warhawk was among them, as was the PB edition of Indomitus and a AoS anthology.  Will be interesting if the HB comes out before the LE.

edit: just went to their website and Warhawk HB is listed as in stock :wacko.: so I placed an order.  Now to see if/when it turns up or I get a whoops sorry email in short order.:sweat:

Edited by Felix Antipodes

It could be happening because BL originally gave the retailers an August release date and then pushed it to October and that could cause a mishap.

I find nothing sad about it, to be honest. BL :censored: up big time with constant delays, which are particularly laughable when stock is so clearly available in warehouses / at retailers already.

It's much more likely that this is the reason why they might have considered a simultaneous release in the first place - delays on the Limited Edition, hardback print run ready to go.

Frankly, I don't fault retailers for not wanting to sit on stock for at least another month even if the currently set dates are actually holding up and not getting pushed back again to accomodate the mythical limited edition that retailers won't even see. Especially since Australian retailers have the whole import tax stuff going on - especially smaller retailers won't want to sit on a very expensive premium product for months.

This falls flat on BL/GW's logistics department. They've failed on all ends, scheduling, production, communication, global distribution, marketing...

Lol, it sounds harsh but its just true. I also have no sympathy for it. Even if they were planning a simultaneous release ( which would just be weird at this point... I mean why start that 6 books in), they decided to communicate not one word about it to the customer base.

Clearly something is going on because the Warhawk book was previewed a few months ago now and normally things they preview are planned to release within the next 3 months window. And its becoming downright strange now with there being zero sign of a Limited Edition and yet clearly the warehouses are packed with regular hardcovers already.

Edited by Taliesin

It may not just be Amazon who have supplies.  Galaxy Books (Sydney, Oz) just put up the preview covers for September releases and Warhawk was among them, as was the PB edition of Indomitus and a AoS anthology.  Will be interesting if the HB comes out before the LE.

edit: just went to their website and Warhawk HB is listed as in stock :wacko.: so I placed an order.  Now to see if/when it turns up or I get a whoops sorry email in short order.:sweat:

THANKS FOR THE TIP!  I’ve just placed an order for a uk delivery … lets see if it happens!

Photos of the Dramatis Personae have been posted on reddit now. Adding the list in a spoiler, in case of deletion / inaccessibility:

The Primarchs

• Jaghatai Khan - 'The Warhawk', Primarch of the V Legion
  • Mortarion - 'The Pale King', Primarch of the XIV Legion
  • Rogal Dorn - Praetorian of Terra, Primarch of the VII Legion
  • Sanguinius - 'The Great Angel', Primarch of the IX Legion

The V Legion 'White Scars'

• Shiban Khan - Called 'Tachseer', Brotherhood of the Storm
  • Yiman - Brotherhood of the Storm
  • Chakaja - Brotherhood of the Storm
  • Qin Fai - Noyan-khan
  • Ganzorig - Noyan-khan
  • Jangsai Khan - Brotherhood of the Iron Axe
  • Naranbaatar - Chief of Stormseers
  • Namahi - Master of the Keshig
  • Ilya Ravallion - Called 'the Sage', Counsellor to the Legion
  • Sojuk Khan - Ilya's adjutant

The VII Legion 'Imperial Fists'

• Sigismund - First Captain, Master of Templars
  • Fafnir Rann - Captain, First Assault Cadre
  • Archamus - Master of the Huscarls

The XII Legion 'World Eaters'

• Khârn - Captain, Eighth Assault Company
  • Skarr-Hei - Berserker

The XIV Legion 'Death Guard'

• Typhus - First Captain
  • Caipha Morarg - Equerry to the Primarch
  • Zadal Crosius - Apothecary
  • Gremus Kalgaro - Siegemaster, Master of Ordnance
  • Gurgana Dhukh - Sergeant

The XVI Legion 'Sons of Horus'

• Azelas Baraxa - Captain, Second Company
  • Indras Archeta - Captain, Third Company
  • Xhofar Beruddin - Captain, Fifth Company

Talons of the Emperor

• Constantin Valdor - Captain, general of the Legio Custodes
  • Diocletian - Tribune, Legio Custodes
  • Amon Tauromachian - Custodian

Crew, 'Aika 73'

• Talvet Kaska - Commander
  • Adria Vosch - Main Gunner
  • Eria Jandev - Front Gunner
  • Helwa Dresi - Driver
  • Gurt Merck - Loader

Imperial Army

• Bran Koba - Sergeant, 13th Astranian Void-Jackals
  • Jera Talmada - Colonel, Departmento Munitorum
  • Ayo Nuta - Major-general, Terran Orbital Command
  • Katsuhiro - Trooper

In the Ruins of the Palace

• Basilio Fo - Former Blackstone inmate
  • Euphrati Keeler - Former Remembrancer
  • Garviel Loken - 'The Lone Wolf', Chosen of Malcador

The Neverborn

• The Remnant - A Daemon

Others

• Erda - Perpetual
  • Leetu - Her Legionary
  • Actae - Sorceress
  • Alpharius - Her Companion
  • John Grammaticus - Logokine
  • Oll Persson - Perpetual
  • Dogent Krank
  • Bale Rane
  • Graft
  • Hebet Zybes
  • Katt

• Malcador the Sigillite - Regent of the Imperium
  • Khalid Hassan - Chosen of the Sigillite
  • Erebus - The Hand of Destiny

Another spoiler with some thoughts on the Dramatis Personae:

Looks like Khârn is getting his send-off, judging by him being only one of two World Eaters represented.

We also have Captaincy-replacements for Torgaddon/Tormageddon, whoever was filling the spot of Iacton after Galaxy in Flames, and Aximand's 5th Company also got a new Captain.

Having Ilya back on page is long overdue. Like, 20 books overdue.

Also surprised by how few named Death Guard we're getting. At least they've got more than the Sons of Horus, who are barely part of the plot anymore, thanks to Saturnine...

Looks like Wraight made the incredible discovery that the Siege has tanks, too!

Where the frick is Nathaniel Garro?!

Still no sign of Horus doing anything important, judging by his no-show in the DP.

Finally we get Erebus doing something again. His last appearance was in The Buried Dagger, but only through a flashback to Calth, and he's been MIA since, what, Imperium Secundus? He's probably gonna try taking out Malcador again or go after Actae, mayhaps. Still waiting/hoping for Lorgar to make some sort of play on Terra instead of letting the Siege go to waste, sulking after Slaves to Darkness...

Totally lazy that the DP doesn't list roles for Oll's crew. Could've at least mentioned that Graft's a Servitor guy.

much appreciate DC. my quick thoughts:

was hoping for a successor master of the hunt to be named and put into action, though i'm looking forward to what namahi might do.

was also hoping for fulgrim to make another appearance even though i know he's more or less out of the siege after saturnine, mainly because i wanted to see wraight handle him.

and despite how contentious these characters are, i'm really curious to see what wraight does with erda and leetu. i've got faith.

Photos of the Dramatis Personae have been posted on reddit now. Adding the list in a spoiler, in case of deletion / inaccessibility:

Another spoiler with some thoughts on the Dramatis Personae:

Where the frick is Nathaniel Garro?!

Garro and the other Dread Bitters, Two Sallys and the Rune Priest.   I thought they would be all clicked up.  Seems Garvi and Garro are not tied at the hip?

Edited by Lord Lorne Walkier

You would hope that this complete cock up might teach BL a lesson?!

Stop being so secretive. Stop basing your whole sales strategy on FOMO, early access and exclusivity.

There is a loyal fanbase for your product BL, we just get tired of all these shenanigans just to be able to buy, enjoy and discuss your books!