Next Primaris Reveal or Release (speculation)

• 2 weeks later...

Of interest from the Black Templars sub-forum (my comments below):

So my source gave me the okay to talk about it more, made a video if you want to watch it but I will summarise it here:

https://youtu.be/CkBGQdLCp2U

Looking at 5 new Characters:

Grim
Helbrect
Emperors Champion
Castellan
Ancient

Infantry:

New Crusaders
New Sword Brethren
Vehicle Upgrade Kit

So I'm thinking that even with all of GW's delays, this set of models was probably always intended for late summer or fall of 2021 and was intended as the Primaris "wave" for this year. Going this route would not only alleviate some of the anti-Marine bitching (who can complain about the long-neglected Templars finally getting the spotlight), but also would prevent Marine players themselves from having to buy three codexes in three years. Beyond that however, it will probably act as a bridge to seeing the remaining codex-compliant chapters start to get their 9th-Edition supplement books.

Right now I'm guessing that we see those supplements next spring with a Shadowspear-style battlebox in March and then the last proper wave of generic Primaris comes out somewhere in the August-November timeframe. We should THEN see the updated codex and after that, starting in 2023, aside from the odd character and vehicle releases it'll be all chapter-specific stuff.

Edited by Lord Nord

very excited for my knightly brothers, they'll go from neglected to being most represented in the new lines in a single release :D

With a bit of luck, maybe the models will be reasonable for conversions for the rest of us too :D

Honestly I don't think there will be nearly as much as salt if they release another primaris wave. Orks being the second Xenos to get a large refresh in a relatively short time frame should help. 

I would invite you to visit some of the forums I browse regularly, but you're better off not being exposed. The level of salt in those places whenever the THOUGHT of another Primaris model being released comes along almost requires an oxygen tank to climb.

Edited by Lord Nord

Personally I will be a bit peaved if Templars get specific squads whilst there are huge gaps still in the generic primaris line.

I fully support characters etc being upgraded.

But thing like ancient, sword brethren and crusader squads represent things that are missing from a generic primais army imo. For instance, I'm not saying generic armies should get crusader squads, but what they essentially represent is scouts and marines (I imagine intercessors in this case). If they are going to update the scouts model then they should really do this for all marine armies not just a small subfaction. These chapter specific upgrades should be released after the generic line is complete imo.

Edited by Subtleknife

That would be an incredible release for BT. Would elevate them to a highly supported chapter in the model line.

We'll see of it's true. I've not heard anything.

Honestly I don't think there will be nearly as much as salt if they release another primaris wave. Orks being the second Xenos to get a large refresh in a relatively short time frame should help. 

I would invite you to visit some of the forums I browse regularly, but you're better off not being exposed. The level of salt in those places whenever the THOUGHT of another Primaris model being released comes along almost requires an oxygen tank to climb.

Honestly I don't worry about them much. There is a subset of the 40k population who will hate Primaris on principle forever. Its been that way since the start, but alot of xenos players have had a point about being ignored and this is two big pushes in around a year. I want the level headed ones to fill less salty and this will help.

Personally I will be a bit peaved if Templars get specific squads whilst there are huge gaps still in the generic primaris line.

I fully support characters etc being upgraded.

But thing like ancient, sword brethren and crusader squads represent things that are missing from a generic primais army imo. For instance, I'm not saying generic armies should get crusader squads, but what they essentially represent is scouts and marines (I imagine intercessors in this case). If they are going to update the scouts model then they should really do this for all marine armies not just a small subfaction. These chapter specific upgrades should be released after the generic line is complete imo.

I'm still not convinced that Primaris Scouts will ever be a thing. If you look at the four basic weapons they're equipped with - Boltguns, Shotguns, Combat Knives, and Sniper Rifles - those ALL have been parted out to the various Phobos squads. Aside from the Sniper Rifle, the stats even match exactly (though the Boltgun and Shotgun got "rebranded" as Bolt Carbine variants). With Eliminators doing the camo cloak shtick and everybody but Reivers having Concealed Positions (while Reivers get vertical mobility and deepstrike), there just isn't much left for a Scout unit to do aside from "be cheap." Especially as they're no longer Troops. Maybe the Templar-specific Scouts will just be Infiltrators/Incursors with a cosmetic overhaul to make them more Templary.

On the other hand, I could absolutely see GW intentionally holding off on releasing a generic Primaris Champion model in order to give the Templars some bragging rights when the Emperor's Champion comes out (sort of like how the Iron Hands had the only Primaris Techmarine in the game for a year).

Edited by Lord Nord

Crusader Squads have neophytes...

Just saying :wink:

But Scout squads had them too. 

All Scouts are Neophytes but not all Neophytes are Scouts.

A lot of people never recognized that all chapters have Neophytes.

That's a fair point. Some chapters are wise enough just to give them power armor and chainsword right from the start :smile.:. As a SW player I'm hoping BT get everything on that list. I think it would signal that the next wave of supplements will arrive with chapter specific stuff for everyone. 

So the new Crusaders will be a mix of Reivers and Intercessors??

No reivers. Neophytes.

So are you suggesting Neophytes will be something new or will it still be a mix of marines and scouts?

Mix of Marines and Scouts.

From what I know, there might be new models to represent neophytes. But I dont have all the details on them. But I heard they are similar to the current scouts. Dunno loadouts.

2017- Dark Imperium. Intercessors, Hellblasters, Aggressors, etc... The basic battle-line stuff.

2018 - ???

2019 - Shadowspear. Incursors, Infiltrators, ... The scout stuff.

2020 - Indomitus. Bladeguard, assault intercessors, outriders... The melee and fast attack stuff.

2021 - Terminatus. Terminators.

We can hope, right? Honestly though, a true Terminator equivalent (i.e, 2+ save and deep strike) and a true Assault Marine equivalent is all the line-up is really missing by this point, even if it's just a Gravis variant and jump pack upgrade for Reivers or something like that. Also probably a lascannon/talon wielding heavy squad. I would also hope they bring back some kind of customisation for characters- They could just release a "Character Upgrades" sprue that has like, a couple of weapon options, a storm shield, a jump pack, and a few trinkets for the "relics". (And of course charge about as much for it as the character themselves.)

You know what, every time I make a post out of this, where I try to rationalise what "the plan" seems to be, where the range might go next... It becomes apparent to me that a whole bunch of it makes no apparent sense. There's no master plan, it's just Jes throwing model designs at the wall.

bro I feel you for the characters.

It's so stupid that there are two separate datasheets for a captain in gravis armor.

Like just have 1 datasheet that allows you to do both load outs.

I think Astartes need a Primaris battlesuit unit, similar to those things the Sisters have but bulkier. A better rendition of Centurions.

An elite unit with Grav Cannon in one arm, Some power weapon in the other.

Move 8" T6 5 Wounds

they already have a battle suit like the sisters...it literally has battlesuit in the name

I think Astartes need a Primaris battlesuit unit, similar to those things the Sisters have but bulkier. A better rendition of Centurions.

An elite unit with Grav Cannon in one arm, Some power weapon in the other.

Move 8" T6 5 Wounds

They have that. It's a invictor.
Yes and no. That's a large vehicle unit. I want a squad of elite, battle suit Astartes built to overpower other elite infantry.
youre literally describing dreads and invictors...

Both are battlesuits. Both are perfectly capable of overpowering elite infantry...

And the paragon warsuit like dreads and invictors are vehicles.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven