Next Primaris Reveal or Release (speculation)

the BT ancient which Valrak told us yesterday could be on this vid at 0:55

i didn't see anything at that time which looked remotely templary

Look harder? There's a smattering of black silhouetted marines behind the blue ones to right of the shot. Including one holding a cross on a stick....
i definitely don't see a cross on a stick, I see a stick sure, and the marines in the back just look like they're in shadow from it being dark and far from the viewer's perspective.

To me that looks like they just did that to save time on the animation.

gallery_65134_15160_128158.jpg

Look harder?

looking as hard as I can on my phone, even if it is a cross there's lots of cross or cross like items for space marines that have nothing to do with templars

its one hundred percent the black templar chapter symbol

looking as hard as I can on my phone, even if it is a cross there's lots of cross or cross like items for space marines that have nothing to do with templars

its one hundred percent the black templar chapter symbol

All seriousness aside, it absolutely is meant to be the Black Templars. This was the promo video for Pariah and the Templars were called out in that book alongside the Smurfs and Deathwatch as the representative Astartes factions. The Templars in particular turned out to be especially valuable due to their faith overcoming the stilling effect of the nexus (alongside the Sisters and Ministorum preachers).

We were pushed in lore quite a bit during PA, as well as earlier in Vigilus, Gathering storm, etc.

It was so commonplace it led me to believe there was a schism between certain creative aspects at GW (artists, writers etc) who pushed for our inclusion (in lore only) vs bean counting execs who, based on perceived poor sales projections on bt kits, refused to green light the making of new ones. Heck, if the rumor that the 2nd community survey is to credit for the rumored coming Templar (heh, rumor on a rumor), then this theory of mine could still have been true.

Regardless, if the BT release comes, it opens the flood gates entirely for chapters getting primaris versions of their classic unique units, like sanguinary guard, wolf guard, deathwing etc. 

I don't know if anyone's brought this up recently, since the actual BT release rumors really ramped up, but there was a lot of talk when the Indomitus box came out about how unSmurfy the Primaris models in that set were and how they would fit in well with a Templars force. In hindsight, it's looking like one of the purposes of that set of models - in addition to just filling existing gaps in a generic Primaris army - was to provide a foundation for a Templars army that the following year's BT-specific sculpts would fit into without seeming completely out of place.

Even taking into account the models released outside of that box, there were only a few that weren't simply MPK versions of the Indomitus units. And while the Techmarine and Heavy Intercessors may have seemed like generic Marine units straight off the recruitment line at Ultramar, there's still the Heavy Bolt Rifle Captain with his Templary tabard - we never saw those before 2020 on any Primaris model that wasn't specific to either the Blood Angels or Dark Angels.

So between the models released last year, the Templar-specific models ("allegedly") coming this year, and the BT upgrade sprue, I'd expect the army photos in the supplement to manage to look like a cohesive Templar-style force, something that would have been almost laughable a little over a year ago.

It would be unprecedented for one chapter to receive that many new units. I could at best see one Primaris character, Primaris Crusader squad and a supplement. Of course the longer off the supposed released the longer to speculate about it.

Unprecedented, sure. But they're going to have to start fleshing out the chapter-specific stuff eventually. Someone has to be the first chapter to get more than a single character or an existing squad box with a specialized datasheet with their supplement. Why not the chapter that's been sitting on the back burner since the Primaris were introduced? Especially in light of how different they tend to be aesthetically? Yeah, Space Wolves are too, but there's no way GW was going to hold back on giving them the Primaris treatment before now.

I see this as an example of what the big four will probably get in Tenth Edition. With the full generic Primaris line out by then and only one or two of the big four supplements coming out per year, the hysterical cries of Primaris overload should fall off to tolerable levels.

As for this edition's codex-compliant supplements, I don't even think all six of those chapters will get character models. I think two or three character models in all, with the remaining supplements coming out that same week just getting their dice or whatever. And I don't even see that happening until next year, with the final big generic Primaris wave occurring around the same time.

We were pushed in lore quite a bit during PA, as well as earlier in Vigilus, Gathering storm, etc.

It was so commonplace it led me to believe there was a schism between certain creative aspects at GW (artists, writers etc) who pushed for our inclusion (in lore only) vs bean counting execs who, based on perceived poor sales projections on bt kits, refused to green light the making of new ones. Heck, if the rumor that the 2nd community survey is to credit for the rumored coming Templar (heh, rumor on a rumor), then this theory of mine could still have been true.

Regardless, if the BT release comes, it opens the flood gates entirely for chapters getting primaris versions of their classic unique units, like sanguinary guard, wolf guard, deathwing etc.

maybe a schism or maybe testing the waters?

Start dropping BTs in lore and artwork to see if that drums up the interest/excitement in the chapter to justify a notable investment into redoing their line, if sales of BT products was low previously.

It would be unprecedented for one chapter to receive that many new units. I could at best see one Primaris character, Primaris Crusader squad and a supplement. Of course the longer off the supposed released the longer to speculate about it.

Didn't the Ultramarines already get quite a bit? Unique Lieutenant, Calgar, Tigurius, Ventris, and Victrix Guard. Now that BT are part of C:SM it would seem strange for them to get a lot of things but if they ever become their own codex or supplement or a mini-faction like 1KS, DG, Harlequins, etc, it wouldn't be too strange. What's stranger is the lack of things like BA DC.

I thought the rumour in force was 4 characters (2 named) crusader squad and vehicle upgrade sprue, maybe general upgrade sprue?

They get a bump as its almost like a new faction or faction reset (first codex or supplement in a while). Plus the fanbase has hyped it up

Faction specific characters seem in a strange place as the DA and BA ones sold so badly they ended up in the Europe (and UK?) Blind boxes

Im wondering will Wolves eventually get a load of generic/named character build kits as we have a lot of finecast characters and they supposedly stopped manufacturing finecast in 2019, but Primaris Krom or etc probably wouldnt sell as well as Ragnar or Nij and theres the Thunderwolf issue too

Black Templars are in an exceptional position, every other first founding Chapter has gotten support over time, they got their upgrade kit updated, a new Primaris upgrade kit and at least one Primaris character and in some cases several. Last time Black Templars got their unique kits updated was in 5th when they turned the characters into Finecast, so at some point GW needs to update ALL of their stuff because they are removing as many old kits as possible and its either BT get the update they should have had years ago or the faction and its kits get discontinued without an update.

Black Templars.

Sete I’m about ready to offer you my social security number in exchange for the scoop on black templars at this point
Hold the line brother.
Only about 5 months to wait going by the video Im watching ;-)

Re generic characters mobility is key. First born outperform them wherever jump pack is an option esp captains and librarians. Only exception is the primaris character that got a motorbike

I do wonder what the odds are on getting "Primaris X on a Bike" characters going forward. Someone I know who likes to wheel and deal found himself with six Outriders, I already own six so I have no reason to own that many more outside of being conversion fodder down the line.

Re generic characters mobility is key. First born outperform them wherever jump pack is an option esp captains and librarians. Only exception is the primaris character that got a motorbike

I do wonder what the odds are on getting "Primaris X on a Bike" characters going forward. Someone I know who likes to wheel and deal found himself with six Outriders, I already own six so I have no reason to own that many more outside of being conversion fodder down the line.

I'm sure there will be a decent assortment of Primaris bike characters eventually, but as Dark Shepherd alluded to, there's a crossover in need between bike and jump characters and I expect that even once both of those lines get filled out, there will still be some characters who only have either a bike OR jump model. Maybe we see an Omnis or Inceptor-pattern Techmarine with no bike model and an Ancient on Bike with no jump option, for instance.

But the thing is, we really haven't even seen the foundational release for either the jump or bike lines yet. The Outriders are definitely the bedrock of the bike line, but we've just had the monopose version so far. I'm still positive there will be an MPK release at some point with some included datasheet flexibility (increased squad size, alternate wargear options for the sergeant, ability to take an Invader ATV in squad, maybe even an MPK two-seater model).

Likewise, neither the Suppressors or Inceptors are likely to end up being the Primaris equivalent to the Assault Marines any more than the Reivers or Assault Intercessors were. I still think we'll eventually get an MPK squad in Omnis armor.

My point being, given that we haven't even seen the centerpiece unit of either line (the MPK version of the squad), it will probably be a while before GW fills in all of the characters in either the bike or jump range. They still haven't added another chapter-agnostic Gravis character (just a second Captain unit) in the four years since Gravis were introduced along with the first Primaris models.

BUT I could easily be wrong and GW may have a bike-themed or jump-themed wave on the way just like they went full Phobos in 2019... of course, the difference there is that the Phobos guys basically fit into a niche between the existing Scout range and "proper" Space Marines. With the Jump and Bike lines, they're competing with existing firstborn units (although almost all of the bike units were legended, so there's that - maybe a sign that whatever bike characters are coming, they'll get here sooner than the jump characters).

Edited by Lord Nord

There's also the possibility they could spring a "Space Marine Heroes Series 4" on us with all-new Primaris sculpts.

Just speculating here, though - I've heard absolutely nothing about Space Marine Heroes Series 4. But given the intervals in release between the first three waves, it is about time we should expect to start hearing something. It just makes sense to me that it would be a generic Primaris set as I don't think they'll do another Firstborn release and there aren't really any other viable candidates at the moment. I don't think they'd do Death Guard again, Thousand Sons just aren't as unique as Death Guard, World Eaters and EC are a ways off, and it's also too early to do a chapter-specific Primaris set.

Of course the problem is they'd still want to have those models form a proper squad (with maybe one or two separate characters) once the whole set is collected, so... would they really do five brand-new Intercessor sculpts? Or an entirely new squad type (I REALLY doubt that)?

Or would they shift gears and do a Kill Team series with five or six new sculpts from across several squad types - maybe one new Reiver Knife-guy sculpt with an action pose like the Reiver Lieutenant, a new Eliminator, a new Intercessor specifically designed as a Grenade Launcher pose, a new Bladeguard in action, and a unique Multi-Melta Eradicator pose, accompanied by a Lieutenant and a Gravis Ancient or something (flip a coin on which one gets paired with the inevitable paint set). That way, the set would feature a "complete" squad... albeit only for Kill Team. Meanwhile, 40K players could mix the models into their existing squads for some visual variety and make use of the unique characters for however many months it takes for a general-release model to come along.

I don't know, seems like a decent yet realistic way to approach Series 4 but maybe they have something competely different in mind.

• 2 weeks later...