Preparing for our 9:ed codex

Ulfast

I'm definitely getting at least one Infernal Master and converting another. Those guys are gonna be fun, especially since their Pacts (i.e. Prayers to the Dark Gods) can't be Denied. Plus....from a fluff perspective....tutelaries and name-bound daemons via scrolls? Yes please. Reminds me of the one old guy in the Ahriman books who had different Daemons stuffed in his head like some kind of evil Pokemon Master.

Is anybody getting burned by overwatch? That pact seems relatively useless in my meta. I think the +1S for shooting is going to be required with T5 orks. It’s a nice bump against T4, but since I allegedly won’t be able to take 20 model rubric squads anymore, probably situational for me. I mean I’ll use it as much as possible, but it’ll depend on who can best use it based on my opponent. I hope these aren’t the best ones!

Has the pact mechanism been detailed yet?

I'm such a Donnie downer when it comes to the Sons. :ermm:

Edited by The Blood Raven

Is anybody getting burned by overwatch? That pact seems relatively useless in my meta. I think the +1S for shooting is going to be required with T5 orks. It’s a nice bump against T4, but since I allegedly won’t be able to take 20 model rubric squads anymore, probably situational for me. I mean I’ll use it as much as possible, but it’ll depend on who can best use it based on my opponent. I hope these aren’t the best ones!

Has the pact mechanism been detailed yet?

I'm such a Donnie downer when it comes to the Sons. :ermm:

I've had Tzaangors getting absolutely wrecked by Overwatch, yes. Also, this pact strips cover, which helps against the current Skitarii builds. The +1S shooting pact can help too by taking Soulreaper Cannons to Str 6.....wounding them on 2's.

I think 2 Infernal Masters should be a staple of upcoming competitive lists.. 

Until we see what the other character upgrades do - I don't think anyone would have predicted apothecaries would be the A++ unit they were at the SM codex release, but a powerful warlord trait made the unit. 

Plasma cannon dread might be nice, and will benefit from +1S to wound marines on 2+ without having to overcharge. 

I think 2 Infernal Masters should be a staple of upcoming competitive lists.. 

Until we see what the other character upgrades do - I don't think anyone would have predicted apothecaries would be the A++ unit they were at the SM codex release, but a powerful warlord trait made the unit. 

Plasma cannon dread might be nice, and will benefit from +1S to wound marines on 2+ without having to overcharge. 

I agree, but the problem I have is they put the Infernal Master in the HQ slot which is massively hotly contested in Chaos lists. If Ahriman is still a staple, it would be looking like Ahriman + 2 Infernal Masters. That might work, but so hard to tell without the new psychic trees being exposed.

I agree, but the problem I have is they put the Infernal Master in the HQ slot which is massively hotly contested in Chaos lists. If Ahriman is still a staple, it would be looking like Ahriman + 2 Infernal Masters. 

I would really hope that Ahriman is no longer as essential to lists as he was in the 8th ed book. I'd love to be able to field my own character on disc without feeling it's a waste of points. I'm also hoping that the upgrades will be a nice toolbox to do different things that Ahri bay not bring to the table.

Well, the price gap between exalted and ahriman did get to the point where you gotta ask if he's really better.

And the gap between exalted and regular sorcerer is at the point of asking why would anyone ever take a regular.

Actually.... The infernal master costs just like a sorcerer and is said to be a psyker on top of effective apostle.

Then they question of why anyone would look at sorcerers is actually scary valid.

I want to put this here in the 'preparing for 9th' thread because although it revolves around Hexfire, it is an indication that we have retained our "Cults" (Potentially?) and we do have conversion opportunities possibly for the new character. 

This article shows some of that:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/30/what-do-you-get-if-you-cross-a-phoenix-with-a-sorcerer-this-stunning-thousand-sons-army/

I built a Forgefiend. Not sure what weapons yet. 

Originally, I wanted to have 2. I made a list using the upcoming codex points but now that the TS side of the box is confirmed to have Scarab Occult Terminators, I am ok with running a unit of 10 and a unit of 5. 

Originally, I wanted to have 2. I made a list using the upcoming codex points but now that the TS side of the box is confirmed to have Scarab Occult Terminators, I am ok with running a unit of 10 and a unit of 5.

Why not both? No need to limit your options.

I think the FF is going to be a good option. I'm dying to use mine, but it's so lethargic as is. I think when I magnetized the arms, it was one of the easier magnetizations I have done in a long time. Very straight forward.

I bought two, but the reality is I only see a need for one with the way the Hexfire announced Infernal Master firepower strength buff works. 

That said, I do think the Helbrutes are very good right now as seen with Death Guard. I wouldn't right them off. I use them all the time with MM's and Plasma and I throw them forward with our psychic jump and no one can ignore it, yet it's well costed.

Just my 2 cents.

I hope Forgefiends or Maulerfiends are good for the TS in this edition. I bought one 6 months ago and fully magnetised everything so I can convert between the two models, and swap out any weapons.

It's a good model for magnetising.

I haven't used it in a game yet, or played 9th ed yet. I only managed 1 game after the Ritual of the Damned came out, and I got spanked. I'm looking forward to this codex giving TSons some easily-conjurable unique magic flavour :) 

Started on some Rubes.

Getting ready for the new codex, I've started on a Warpflamer unit, which I think will be fun to jump about with duplicity, or have pop out of a Rhino. For ages I've wanted to bash the CSM and Rubric units together to make some up-armoured/less fancy Rubrics, and thought the flamer squad would be good for it. The unit origianlly had 2 rubric bodies and 2 csm, however the rubric bodies are really small compared to the csm...I think they were the last chao kit released before the 2016 embiggening of the Death Guard and 2019 enlarging of the CSM range. Now they just seem weedy next to them, which is a shame. So the unit now is all CSM, and will probably make a battle sorcerer from the CSM aspriring champ bits also.

gallery_58096_7835_17477.jpg

Cool, and good poses too :thumbsup: I'm thinking about my Rubric box, but I have some project debts I should clear first... but soon... very soon :biggrin.:

Thanks, I was a it concerned that they might be jarring visually as the Rubric marine bits are so detailed compared to the CSM parts, but hopefully it'll all come out in the paint job. 

Looks great Xenith.

I will say for my Rubrics, I did up about... 6 flamers and most of my bolter Rubrics do not have the gun glued on so I can hot swap the flamers.

The thing with the flamers through the years is they go from very good, to very mediocre, etc. Over priced, to good value... it's cyclical... should I say always changing? ;)  Such is Tzeentch. 

Looks great Xenith.

I will say for my Rubrics, I did up about... 6 flamers and most of my bolter Rubrics do not have the gun glued on so I can hot swap the flamers.

I was looking at that, but the arms were way too tight and I couldn't get the flamers out from these guys once I'd stuck the right arms on. I was concerned I'd be wearing away at the paint every time I forced one out. Maybe it's the CSM bodies?