Preparing for our 9:ed codex

Ulfast

I magnetize a lot but decided not to on Rubrics deciding to just get more.

I have 10 painted but have not mustered the strength to do more, lol. Wish I would have magnetized now.

It's the exact reasons you mentioned on the flamers, Prot, as to why I never did. Never thought I would need more than 5. Hope I am wrong!!

BTW did any warpflamers make the upgrade/ adjusted points list for Hellbrutes and tanks like inferno bolters did?

Edited by Skerr

Hi All, a quick question:

I am going to Warhammer World next week, and I want to buy an Osiron Pattern Dreadnought. I like the model and want it for my collection, but it'll be a useful addition as a Helbrute or Contemptor Dreadnought.

I will magnetise the arms, so I'd like some opinions on which arms I should buy?

Weapons will wax and wane with edition/rule changes, but I am a big fan of the twin lascannon. Anything else, like a multi-melta?

edit: I don't play 30k, so 40k-valid suggestions only please!

Edited by byrd9999

I am going to Warhammer World next week, and I want to buy an Osiron Pattern Dreadnought. I like the model and want it for my collection, but it'll be a useful addition as a Helbrute or Contemptor Dreadnought.

I will magnetise the arms, so I'd like some opinions on which arms I should buy?

Weapons will wax and wane with edition/rule changes, but I am a big fan of the twin lascannon. Anything else, like a multi-melta?

As you said rules and profiles change, but currently volkite is ace. What do you want or need the dread to do? MM, volkite and TL should cover most bases.

I picked up the heavy bolters option recently (although I've still to finish painting it) as they changed the damage if I recall combined with the inferno bolts strat (if its still a thing) its a nice 2W infantry killer. but you cant go wrong with twin Las or Volkite.

The Contemptors are great kits, as an extra bonus they are quite amenable to magnetising - such change would surely please Tzeentch also :P As noted like the warp rules are ever in flux so nothing is a guarantee. That said my plan is to build mine with CCW and Lascannons. The latter are while not perfect one of the most capable AT guns and will likely always be so, for an army like Sons who are desperately short on long ranged heavy AT it's an easy pick.

The CCW is because Sons aren't power houses in combat either, so something to do some heavy lifting there goes far. Plus there's four Attacks to make use of, and flexibility it useful here so they can always help out somehow. It's how I build all my Dreadnoughts (and fexes, as the living version) :tu:

For my own preparations I'm still planning to get to that Rubric squad, but if I can get hold of the box set for a discount I'll grab that too...

Good news overral, but notice the suble change to all is dust. It no longer works on invulnerable saves. And while the new strat is fantastic to help mitigate a game with a bunch of damage +1. Still wish the all is dust rule had a touch more oomf! Such as: +1 to armour saves except against damage 8+ weapons. 

Seems the new rules is really pushing for MSU units for the cabal bonus and lesser cost on the strat. 

Thank Tzeentch the soulreaper got a bit of a boost. Strength 6 is ok, but honestly could have done with 6 shots. or damage 2. 

Previewed the +1 strat that was easy to predict. Glad it is confirmed. So necessary for out shooting. 

Rubrics that don't flee? yaaaas. 

Edited by Ahzek451

That's is fantastic! Good catch on the All Is Dust. I don't keep up with other codexes but are invulns getting scaled back a tad for all armies?

Cant wait to hack and slash with those termies.

I am curious on the Mere Servents. Is it just a limitation on model count with no benefit? Other than reflecting lore? I definitely need to paint more Rubrics now, lol.

I was hoping for a bit more on All is Dust also, as there are seemingly plenty of greater or variable damage weapons but with Rubrics and Scarab Occult getting a boost overall it should be ok. If nothing else not having to worry about any models running away after losses should make up for it! It's bad enough losing precious expensive models to morale never mind ones that have no free will :lol:

Pleased the SRC got something too as I was expecting some kind of boost, so far things are looking promising for a stronger army :) Especially the SOT, I'm looking forward to getting to mine so they can reap the boons :D

I seriously doubt it, but if our 5++ remains, and is somehow changed to 4++ across the board. I could give a rats *** about the current all is dust rule haha. AT the very least it would be nice if SOT received a 4++.

Also notice, all/most of the new abilities both offensive and defensive are in the shooting phase. So we will both excel in this phase and not do so well in the assault phase defensively. 

Edited by Ahzek451

If we play MSU then moral is not really an issue...

Big big nerf on All is dust... +1 S on sword or reaper cannon are far from make it up for it.

VTOLW is now 2 CP like for DG, but only applies to infantry.

Over all very little good news, sounds more a nerf...

I seriously doubt it, but if our 5++ remains, and is somehow changed to 4++ across the board. I could give a rats *** about the current all is dust rule haha. AT the very least it would be nice if SOT received a 4++.

Also notice, all/most of the new abilities both offensive and defensive are in the shooting phase. So we will both excel in this phase and not do so well in the assault phase defensively.

Rubrics and SoT have never been CC units so no change really unfortunately. I’m not sure the 2 damage on sword will change much

Rubrics and SoT have never been CC units so no change really unfortunately. I’m not sure the 2 damage on sword will change much

In a lot of cases, not much. A lot of armies have ways of subtracting damage in this edition now. (including us now) 

The scarabs were always "good enough" in melee.

With an extra wound, better soulreaper and double the cc punch (just enough to tear through marines)-and costs nearly the same, it's a pretty big buff for them.

The amount of time all is dust was relevant for invuls wasbt high on scarabs anyway, not many 1d weapons have the ap for it.

Thats great news. I thought there might have been an embargo that lifts Tuesday. I actively play 3 armies though this is the first 9th dex for any so have not paid much attention to dex videos or when they drop.

Due to my regular gaming circle being old friends playing has gone by the wayside a couple years before Covid since we all have kids and such now.

I was more of a collector and painter than a player but now I have a local shop and play a couple times a month (and not against the same 3 armies anymore) so maybe I should start watching these and paying attention to the meta, lol.

Edited by Skerr