Black Templar Teaser and Rumors

Acebaur

Question; how much of the current BT upgrade sprue would be compatible with primaris? I’m thinking of getting it to spruce up intercessors, but I’m not sure if the cross over is too wide

Question; how much of the current BT upgrade sprue would be compatible with primaris? I’m thinking of getting it to spruce up intercessors, but I’m not sure if the cross over is too wide

Everything but the chest pieces, I've used the arms for some Intercessors and while the bolt pistols are a bit smaller the arms themselves fit perfectly fine and the chainsword is the same size as the Assault Intercessor one (maybe a bit thinner) so really everything works. 

Beastsnagga box and possible equivalents:

Zogrod - Grimaldus or Helbrecht

Nob on Smasha Squig - Emperor's Champion

Boyz - Crusader Squad

Squighog Boyz - Sword Brethren

Then the other new special character is released separately (like Mozrog & the Great White Squig). I'd guess Grimaldus separate if he still has a cenobite-servitor retinue.

Ya'll going to want to take the Sword Brethren. I promise.

Can you tell us if it's a new unit type or an upgrade to existing veteran type models? Given that terminators, van/stern veterans, and presumably BGV can all be/have sword brethren, it strikes me as odd if it's a new model/unit type rather than an upgrade to anything which already qualifies as a veteran.

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

What if they have jump packs? Or special rules? Or fit in an LRC? Or look amazing?

We already have units that literally fill all of these criteria and do the job well, the question is what will the Sword Brethren bring that make them stand out? Regardless of whether or not they are useful in game I am going to get them, I just hope I'm going to actually want to use them.

Absolutely nothing is my guess; the Wolf Guard of the Black Templars as it were.

Yeah agree. the correlation between Wolfguard, Sword Brethren and CSM chosen is almost a perfect circle. I would expect character elite(s) + stratagems to juice up SB

GW has literally consulted the man on things templar. put two and two together. He must be NDA'd up the wazoo, so don't bother him about it. 

We're not getting a bloody WD article though, alright?

Ahahah.. Wait for Friday Folks... Just wait.

THE EMPEROR DELIVERS

There was so much emphasis in the old sword Brethren lore about them being the only ones trained in the use of terminator armour, it would be absolutely sick if the designers had taken that forwards and redone terminators.

But that may be just me, I never really liked the sword Brethren models from 4th ed. Shoulder cloaks aside.

Boyz - Crusader Squad

Then the other new special character is released separately (like Mozrog & the Great White Squig). I'd guess Grimaldus separate if he still has a cenobite-servitor retinue.

I'd guess it will be more like

Zogrod - Rumoured Marshall

Nob on Smasha Squig - Rumoured Ancient

Boyz - Crusader Squad

And the three special characters sold separately (or in big character box).

Ya'll going to want to take the Sword Brethren. I promise.

GW has literally consulted the man on things templar. put two and two together. He must be NDA'd up the wazoo, so don't bother him about it.

THE EMPEROR DELIVERS

Well colour me excited. Edited by ashc

THE EMPEROR DELIVERS

Is there anything scheduled to be revealed on Friday?

Boyz - Crusader Squad

I'd guess it will be more like

Zogrod - Rumoured Marshall

Nob on Smasha Squig - Rumoured Ancient

Boyz - Crusader Squad

And the three special characters sold separately (or in big character box).

Thanks for these predictions regarding the possible contents of our box.

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by Brother Cristopher

THE EMPEROR DELIVERS

Is there anything scheduled to be reveal on Friday?

Brother,

"Trust in the Emperor at the hour of battle.

Trust to him to intercede, and protect his warriors true as they deal death on alien soil.

Turn their seas to red with the blood of their slain.

Crush their hopes, their dreams

And turn their songs into cries of lamentation."

Edited by BayOkuz

THE EMPEROR DELIVERS

But does he do chicken, beef and pork?

On the subject of Sword Brethren, imo this unit should be clad in Gravis armour.

I'm sure I've already mentioned it, but it would be a good way to separate it from Bladeguard vets.

A unit of 5 Gravis Marines armed with MC Swords, and a nice ranged weapon of some kind - perhaps a MC Bolt Rifle.

On the subject of Sword Brethren, imo this unit should be clad in Gravis armour.

I'm sure I've already mentioned it, but it would be a good way to separate it from Bladeguard vets.

A unit of 5 Gravis Marines armed with MC Swords, and a nice ranged weapon of some kind - perhaps a MC Bolt Rifle.

I think that sounds a tad vanilla for Sword Brethren. Regarding my preference, if they aren't Mk. X. Tacticus then they should be wearing Terminator armor, and the latter is unlikely. With the new Sword Brethren kit, I'd like them to move away from the Primaris monobuild stuff. The Templars are very ad-hoc in their organization, and I think the equipment of their veterans should reflect that. 

What you describe feels more appropriate for Gravis vets available to any chapter. 

Edited by Mmmmm Napalm

They will be a Primaris unit, that's the only thing we can be sure of. It future-proofs them this way too.

You're right, they will probably be wearing a bespoke Tacticus suit, but the idea of Gravis troops with long swords is great to imagine, personally.

I think it would be perfectly reasonable for them to keep the firstborn EC as a unit. After all the EC is decided on the eve of battle by the will of the Emperor. There is no guarantee just because there are primaris brothers now that they will always be chosen. I would really like to see both as options, obviously mutually exclusive though, no taking 1 of each.

I think it would be perfectly reasonable for them to keep the firstborn EC as a unit. After all the EC is decided on the eve of battle by the will of the Emperor. There is no guarantee just because there are primaris brothers now that they will always be chosen. I would really like to see both as options, obviously mutually exclusive though, no taking 1 of each.

Your argument is reasonable from the lore perspective. Now, I'm pondering whether fluff reasons will prevail over marketing reasons ;) I sure hope that an old EC remains a viable option in the Codex, but the sceptic in me struggles to believe that will be the case. As someone pointed out earlier, I'm afraid that the old model will find itself in the rule limbo being "Legends".

The rules for the new one will be so much better you'll never look back. Likely they will straight up replace the old ones, as has happened before with models like Tiggy that got a Primaris upgrade.