+ Some Things Are Best Left Forgotten Discussion +

apologist

I like the Knight House ideas, especially the mystic vibe on the Indra and the Grigoria, who seem perfect for blanchitzu style blend of foaming flagellants, Venetian Carneval and Black Templars with Mecha!

“ Avarice” invokes pictures of a pretty bleak place, craggy mountains, rad saturated winds in me…

I am toying with the idea of a bit of a cyborg barbarian house theme, holding a few a few strongholds on the Edges. Conan style animal pelts, Omnissiah druids. The Emperor / Omnissiah as uncaring Crom on his Golden Throne…

I always liked the idea of a House that combines the European knight aesthetics with a sort of “voodoo” take on the Mechanicus and the Machine Spirits. Mythic knights who mount their Mecha to channel the load of their ancestors and the Machine god to battle.

For some reason I see these as traditional allies to the Red Fish (maybe it is the association with Caribbean cooking…) as staunch if somewhat wierd defenders of the people. Which fractures the household as things get out of hand….

Neo Jove brings up -unsurprisingly- Gas giants, warm, earthly colours and huge floating forge temples. Mediterranean/ Near Eastern themes with flowing robes, then add to that the weirdness of the Cult Mechanicus. Maybe a skitarri take on the Persians from “300”.

Less ideas for knight houses here as I think more of an AirPower / airborne with super heavy aircraft here…

Forge Heliopolis is obviously “the city of light”.

Lots of solar mirrors, laser sculptures and devotional holograms. Blanchitzu style mix of Mechanicus with Ancient Greek / Constantinoplan vibes crossed with a cyberpunk neon sprawl feeling.

Not sure that I can model that (in time) but I think it gives me something to start a doodle from

Question: how much lore do you want for the Knight Houses? Also do you want colours, symbols and/or suggestions on convertions?

I myself will not be able to ad any models so I want to know how free reins I should give people who might do some model work or draw pictures

The 'gold standard', so to speak, is to produce an article that's pretty much ready to run – typically around 2,000–5,000 words (though this is very flexible) – and with two or three images to describe the faction, force, character, warzone or event in question. If you're unable to supply images, personally that's not necessarily a problem – but it does mean hunting down someone who's looking for inspiration.

That's where this blog (and Instagram, and the Facebook group etc.) hopefully come in! I hope that readers will see the seeds you've sown and discuss here, then produce some models or artwork. Feel free to poke people you know; or who you think might be interested. There's no entry qualifications beyond enthusiasm :smile.:

The stuff you've written up is all looking great; if you want to develop it into a longform article, please feel free. Once it's drafted, do feel free to email it over, and I can do my own work to 'boost the signal' and get some appropriate pictures.

Ok, as for now I will develop what I have posted (and post some new Houses) here. As for now I will do it in a point by point fashion and then try to write something a bit more presentable that can be posted on the streams. If people want to suggest anything, or want to creat models of any of those houses I creat, feel free :biggrin.:

Also, have added som stuff for some of the Houses, and added a House.

Edited by Gamiel

Knights of Zoombria- House Duval

Brief :

Mercurial, techgnostic “voodoo knights” from Zoombria, a planet sized moon overgrown by a primal, mangrove jungle. Hot, humid to the point where unprotected/ unaugmented humans can barely survive outside a shelter. Frequent super hot, partly noxious rainstorms. Several megafauna and -flora, including Megalligators and Swamplurkers.

Knight armours proved vital in establishing and protecting both early and current settlements / expeditions, which are mostly centered around mega carrier mining/ fishing/ chem-Guild barges, forming floating cities with stilted outliers among the marsches.

The only permanent settlement is the capital city of Sang-Dwent, which was built into the the planet‘s  major mountain range and holds the major Temple-Shrine-Citadels of the four “Barons” surrounding the Shrine Citadel of the “High King“ / „First Baron“

Zoombria remained  relatively untouched ( though polluted) by Mankind/ Mechanicus due to the effort needed to venture into the jungles as well as ingrained belief in coexistence with spirits of both the land and the machine by the beliefs I ngrained among the ruling Knight households.

Zoombria was also found to house several strains of biological materials which proved valuable in the production of stims, regenerative salves, gene-forging and other alchemical processes which ensured the establishment of ties with both the Sectors forges as well as several Mercator houses. 

In addition, several native specimen provided the basis for the creation of several strains of aquatic life which were seeded into the waters of the central water giant of Ju’vell.

These MegaCrusteans and GigaKrill from the ju’vellian Servitor farms provided the back bone of the protein feed to the Keterang  Knight Worlds I’m particular and across the Delphurnean  League prior to the War. 

House Disposition and War efforts

House Duval developed a syncretismatic belief in the inaccessibility of the Omnissiah and the Motive Force during the Long Dark, which proved remarkably stable after contact with both the Imperium and the Adeptus Mechanicus. 

The Duval saw their Knight Engines as physical shrines and literal Manifestations of the  Saints of the greater Omnissian  force and thus sought communion and eventual transcendence in the joining with their engines.
A central element in this was the Throne Mechanicus, which developed into vast  central  shrines and centers of  both worship and rulership, upon which Knight pilots channeled the divine forces into contact with their physical bodies and the material world. Often opulently decorated, the Shrine -Thrones often included ossuary remains and items of earlier Knight-Adepts and were the key in creating a lesser, localized noospheric sphere of enlightenment [re”the Green”] when on campaign.

House Members received basic machine-mind-interfaces early in their lifes. This provided an early access to a sort of otherworldly experience and day to day communion with the spirits of the Machine, which the Duval refered to as “Loa” or “LoAi” by the means of this MMIU assisted “Dreaming Green”.

Orthodox Adepts which were allowed to experience this speculated that this “Dreaming Green”  was based on a sort of proto-noospheric technology accompanied by a liberal use of self induced trans and chem-use.

As early as the age of 5, aspirants were supposed to embark  onto  a sort of noospheric vision quest to establish a connection with their respective mentor LoAi, which would then guide and shape them into the roles and position they were destined to perform for the Household.

While the importance of all the individual LoAi and their contribution to the Great Work was stressed,  being the chosen Interface to one of the greater LoAi “Saints”, e.g.  as manifested by the Knight Engines carried a vast amount of prestige and leverage. 

This somewhat erratic and mercurial nature of the Duval and the importance placed on  the Guidance by the Dreaming Green and the Engine’s spirits gave them a reputation of unpredictability among more orthodox Imperial forces such as the regiments of the Astra Militarum.

Roving banners of House Duval, often referred to as “Hands” proved uncanny in the defence of the

Delphiguan League and it’s population, however, which established them as a sort of patron saints to several League communities.

Likewise, this established a long standing tradition of respect and mutual support with Adeptus Astartes of the Red Fish. Both groups found common ground in the roles as both protectors and guides to the people of their domains  and shared a mutual link in the belief of a greater force guiding their actions as well as an interest in various prophetic techniques. This common bond was only strengthened during the dark days of the War of the Beast, and tales of bravery and courage in the face of a common enemy bonded warriors from the Marines Orcinus to the Banners of House Duval.

As such, many Duval Knight engines found themselves thrust into the fighting along the forces of the Partisans early in the War of the False Primarch, especially when the history and outlook of their respective LoAi urged them to stand in defense to a community under their traditional protection  faced with punitive strikes from orthodoxy forces.

These same factors would come  like ways into play in regard with the increase of raids on civilian populations by the Riven Lords later in the war, however, which in turn would be further straining the lines both within the House itself and the outside forces involved in the War of the False Primarch.

While tradition and a sense of duty tied the House to the Knight Worlds and the wider League, their  support did not rest with the Partisan case alone. Many Duval saw their oath and guides as a commitment to the larger Forces of the Imperium and  Mechanicus. Several such factions even actively sought the support of the Knight House and  their dedication to their charges, uncompromising zeal, coupled  with a  vibrant spirituality and the inherent focus on duality of life and death (which took on a increasingly morbid touch as the war progressed) found certain banners of the Duval fighting alongside elements of the Charnel Guard. It was a union  which would have severe repercussions later….

Already possessed of a convoluted and rather arcane set of inner house politics and rulings, House Duval was therefore stretched to a breaking point  as they received word of the revelations regarding the appearance of the “lost son” (as he became known among the House) from their allies among the Red Fish  and their oaths and obligations to the League, the local Forge Worlds and the Imperium as a whole.

When Julaan Duval, the High Baron, was found assassinated inside his shrine chamber, these fractures widened and various threads of loyalty frayed, then were torn loose. 

Though evidence was found suggesting the hand of the Ork’mecha Sombra in the killing ( an infamous band of greenskin infiltrators and saboteurs that had come to plaque the league in the aftermath of the War of the Beast and was known to insert cells of “Orkoratives” into the Zoombrian wilds for Kommando training)  rumours regarding the involvement of other interested parties in the killing of the Duval Leader were never silenced.

Knight Banners of House Duval were thus found fighting on every front of the War, often caught a seemingly conflicting array of oaths, alliances and prophetic guidances increasingly opaque to outsiders.

At the battle of Null banners of House Duval fought on both sides with equal zeal,

and by the end of the War of the False Primarch, the once proud house was little more than an assembly of free blade banners holding unto a common origin while the majority of the remaining orthodoxy sworn banners were bonded to ensure their loyalty the victorious Forges.

House Emblem \ Colours

The insignia of House Duval was a pair of roosters, one red, one black, facing away from each other ( like the Imperial Eagle), often with  extensive bionic augmentation based on / over  / behind a white cogwheel symbol of the Mechanicum. Further commonly used symbols were the Omnissian Axe and Knight engine Lances ( crossed or held in the roosters Claws) as well as candles or lanterns. 

Partisan aligned hands were known to revert their totem insignia  to a single headed rooster, while orthodoxy forces often adopted an electrum lantern bearing the light of the Heliopolis Forge.

Blindfolding the heads of the twin roosters in sheaths of flower-fractals and devotional papers was also common on both sides of the War.

The Knight armor colours were thus mainly red, black and (bone) White. 

The outlook would haven been chosen by the Saint upon his manifestation (date of production) but was subject to interpretation.

E.g. “The White Flame” of Isabeau Duval had remained in its bone white armour, accented by  black circuitry vines since before the Great Crusade and continued almost unchanged throughout the War of the False Primarch.

In contrast, the bright crimson  on the war  plate of the “Blade of the northern Winds”  would spread and noticeably darkened as it served among the Charnel Guard.

Armour panels were often adorned with intricate patterns of jungle / mangrove vines ( which would then resemble circuitry patterns under closer inspections ) and flowers / petals ( which again would often be made up by fractals of the Omnissian cog up close ).

Due to the humid, often corrosive nature of the Zoombrian atmosphere, devotional banners and streamers were traditionally made from / cut from sheets of rare metals in which punch card like pictorials 

Would be hammered and chiseled, depicting scenes of Mechanicum Saints or legends as well as ho ours earned or scenes from past battles ( the “holes”  used to punch these scenes into the metal were often in themselves based on binharic patterns to further bless the engine) 

[Think Voodoo with a large helping of los dios de la muertos here]

Edits: More eye friendly script. Typos fixed and some minor details added.

C&C welcome! 

Edited by Xin Ceithan

What little I read of House Duval's backstory, is imaginative and well-written. However, I could read little of the white text against the white background that is the default setting for this website's "mobile version" (for smartphones and other mobile devices), and it's a pain in the posterior to have to highlight each and every word.

I suggest marking the whole text and then clicking on the "Remove Format" button (the one the looks like an eraser). That will put it all in the standard format that is visible both here and on mobile.  

Have also added House LCE to my post

Edited by Gamiel

Uh, my bad. Apologies and thanks to both of you! 

My mobile seems to copy the text black on black, which is likewise hard to read, but I apparently managed to find an equally nasty counterpoint to it :p

It should be better to read now, especially on mobile.

Next, on to the typos! 

BTW It appears that there will be a few good synergy angles to the Red Fish indeed, judging by Apologist recent post :) 

I think the important part is probably the narrative arc / pitch here…

From my conversations with Apologist, I’d assume that there is enough room for models / and stories.

Some of the major points are that it is mostly a showcase of how wierd, vast and inherently confusing and contradictory Imperial policy and especially it’s history are.

So, there are probably ways to include elements of other chapters (like the Lacunae) that get mixed up and are either forgotten or purged from official versions.

IMO this isn’t supposed to become an alternate / Horus Heresy 2.0 - so it is still a rather localised conflict and get’s reduced / covered up as a footnote in history.

So there is sort of focus on the local chapters and institutions involved, I’d say.

If you look into the setting though, there is mention of a huge amount of other chapters forming a quarantine ring around the conflict - there is plenty of opportunity to use forces from other Chapters involved there, I’d say.

Knowing Apologist, I’d recon he’d like the idea to use a few of the more obscure \ RT era chapters in those. And with the whole mess going over decades, there are certainly involvements and stories there. Elements might be cycled in to replace losses, partisans might attempt to run the blockade, etc.

I think it’s worth noting that the Imperium probably wants news of another Primarch on the loose tightly contained, and thus attempting to limit exposure as much as possible - especially among Astartes, I’d guess, who gave proven prone to go overboard in relation to the whole Primarch thing in the past!

(The Quarantine Chapters as a whole might not even know what they are really there to contain?)

Another facet to consider is that this is quite deliberately trying to present is how different the Imperium and the forces involved in are / is at that time. If you find a way to convey that in stories and models, there is a sure way in, I’d say.

And do not forget that the Ordo Killteams are also already “designed” to offer a place to other Chapters!

And of course, Apologist has the last call on things in the end. But he seems pretty nice

I think the important part is probably the narrative arc / pitch here…

From my conversations with Apologist, I’d assume that there is enough room for models / and stories.

Some of the major points are that it is mostly a showcase of how wierd, vast and inherently confusing and contradictory Imperial policy and especially it’s history are.

So, there are probably ways to include elements of other chapters (like the Lacunae) that get mixed up and are either forgotten or purged from official versions.

IMO this isn’t supposed to become an alternate / Horus Heresy 2.0 - so it is still a rather localised conflict and get’s reduced / covered up as a footnote in history.

So there is sort of focus on the local chapters and institutions involved, I’d say.

If you look into the setting though, there is mention of a huge amount of other chapters forming a quarantine ring around the conflict - there is plenty of opportunity to use forces from other Chapters involved there, I’d say.

Knowing Apologist, I’d recon he’d like the idea to use a few of the more obscure \ RT era chapters in those. And with the whole mess going over decades, there are certainly involvements and stories there. Elements might be cycled in to replace losses, partisans might attempt to run the blockade, etc.

I think it’s worth noting that the Imperium probably wants news of another Primarch on the loose tightly contained, and thus attempting to limit exposure as much as possible - especially among Astartes, I’d guess, who gave proven prone to go overboard in relation to the whole Primarch thing in the past!

(The Quarantine Chapters as a whole might not even know what they are really there to contain?)

Another facet to consider is that this is quite deliberately trying to present is how different the Imperium and the forces involved in are / is at that time. If you find a way to convey that in stories and models, there is a sure way in, I’d say.

And do not forget that the Ordo Killteams are also already “designed” to offer a place to other Chapters!

And of course, Apologist has the last call on things in the end. But he seems pretty nice

I mean realistically, the main focus is the conflict between the partisans and the Pentarchy, both of which are quite established at this point. While there is certainly room for other chapters, they would likely either be part of the Vigilants or the Marines Mendicant, or more easily explainable as member of the quarantine.

To be clear, I don’t speak for Apologist, nor am I saying that you can’t have other chapters involved, but as someone heavily involved, I think large amounts of non Pentarchy or Partisan Astartes doesn’t make a lot of sense outside of a few rare circumstances.

Edit: Apologist said it much more eloquently than I did, but I’ll leave my response up. If anyone has questions about the Void Barons feel free to reach out!

Edited by Vazzy

Never ones to follow the rules, the Inquisition are the focus of tomorrow’s inload, presented an auspicious eleven hours and eleven minutes early…

+I WANT TO KNOW+

https://warofthefalseprimarch.blogspot.com/2021/07/taking-holy-ordos.html?m=1

Edited by apologist

Not finished but how do this look? What should I change before posting it on facebook or instagram? (beside adding more houses, will ad some canon ones and the ones in my post above):

+ =][= To Inquisitor Nichola Rémy-Remigius: we have been able to translate/decode/repair some of the file/s you sent us. Something we discovered was that it was not just one file but a layer of files, connected by datalinks. It’s a presentation of the Knight Houses involved in the M33 incident we are researching. The main document stat that there was 153 Knight Houses in the conflict – that’s a higher number then the one given by the Degrera source, and a smaller number then what the Mongori source state – and give a presentation of each of the supposedly involved houses with name, colour, coat-of-arms, and a sentence or three of other information about the house. Each of those presentations have a datalink (or had, as not al of them are functioning, we hope to be able to repair those broken datalinks or find ways around them) to a larger presentation, with pictures in some cases, of the Knight House in question. We have not been able to translate/decode/repair the whole main page with all 153 listed Houses but here are copulation of some of the presentations we have been able to translate/decode/repair. More to come my lord and if any of them catches your interest we will begin to translate/decode/repair that house’s longer presentation.

:

House Arkiel

Colours: Purple, green

Coat-of-arm: a red rose on white. Often each knight-pilot highly personalised their shield with extra decorations.

A house of artists, artisans, and art patrons, known for their fast knights, both regarding reaction and running speed. Their unwillingness to destroy things of beauty, even when it was made by traitors and the most efficient way to stop the enemy, made them censured.

House Rustovitch

Colours: Red, green, gold

Coat-of-arm: a green dragon rampant on red.

Arrogant and aristocratic warrior-scholars. Their claims of nobility tainted by cruelty and indifference toward those they consider lesser.

House Lasambre

Colours: Black and blue. Golden details common.

Coat-of-arm: A gold crowned black eagle displayed, wings elevated, with a gold ankh in its right claw and a sabre in its left claw, on blue background.

Close to ecclesiarchy, their claims of piety ring false with their arrogance and tendency for politicking.

House Bêtes Noires

Colours: Green and black.

Coat-of-arm: a black wolf’s head superimposed over a blue engrailed saltire on green.

Tribal kings over the techno-barbaric people of their homeworld. Fight more like pack predators than well drilled warriors. =][= +

Edited by Gamiel

That all looks rather lovely to me; and you should feel free to share however and wherever you like. If we can find some painted examples (poking some Titanicus collectors/players might be a good angle), that'd allow me to share it on the blog.

Secondly, it'd be lovely to see some connections with some of the established forces/planets/systems detailed thus far. That's what tends to create a connection, as it gives existing players a hook to riff off.

@well everyone

All of what was said above is 100% how I have interpreted outside involvement.

The Lacunae are my addition to the project and I entirely expect nothing more than just being able to be involved in such an amazing collaborative project.

I'd be happy with a single throw away sentence somewhere in the blog but recognition of the Chapter in the core of the project is not my intention or desire to be honest. I see a magnificent setting within which to flesh out my creation inside a controlled, self contained, and self correcting bubble.

The collective vision is to be admired, not changed. I wanted to explore some work with the Star Wardens yet ultimately felt a tiny pocket of this drawn out conflict was the perfect opportunity for me to flourish a tiny egg of an idea.

The Lacunae are a sanctioned Chapter experiencing their first difference of opinion. Cooler heads prevailed and kept their Inquisitorial relationships intact through euthanasia of the radical element in the Chapter. Then they bow out of the conflict, understanding the actions of the few will have lasting consequences across centuries. Their presence is at most perhaps a battle company in strength, which ultimately cannibalizes itself and removes itself from the conflict entirely.

I get to create this expansive convoluted climate within a box that doesn't detract from the Pentarchy/Partisan overview yet leaves me with a rich origin story to build on into the 42nd Millenium.

I hope that helps clear up some questions people may have on the involvement of my Chapter and how its not a core element, but rather a tiny footnote.

Have any Knight Houses ben recorded fighting the this conflict? And any thoughts regarding them?

oh, don’t tempt me…:tongue.:

But there are those tiny HH Knights ,,,

So, from the maps there are three “major” forges involved 

Avarice  ( Morqub Sub; possible Partisan tendencies)

Heliopolian (Heliopolis Sub)

Neo Jove (Moreau Sub) 

which are in a “it’s complicated” state of affairs.

Guess there room for a Knight house or two.

I am interested to bump around ideas / open for an exchange in terms of ideas for the Mechanicus in this btw -

maybe start a sub thread in the Mechanicus subforum to keep things from clogging up this thread  here ? 

We also have:

Atar-Median 

and maybe Xana 

And likleya hundred more since a segment is HUGE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mercurial, techgnostic “voodoo knights” from Zoombria,

Suggest not having “voodoo knights” as part of the lore text, have it instead in the creators comments section.

Megalligators and Swamplurkers.

Don’t think you need to capitalise animal names

chem-Guild barges

Guild should not be capitalised (unless there is a reason for it)

built into the the planet‘s

you have two “the” here, remove one.

The only permanent settlement is the capital city of Sang-Dwent, which was built into the the planet‘s  major mountain range and holds the major Temple-Shrine-Citadels of the four “Barons” surrounding the Shrine Citadel of the “High King“ / „First Baron“

is there a reason why there is only one permanent settlement? Is it so big that it covers most of the mountain range? Also, you write “major mountain range” which indicate that there are more of them, why have not settlements bean built there?

beliefs I ngrained among

do you mean “ingrained” here?

These MegaCrusteans and GigaKrill from the ju’vellian Servitor farms

Think you don’t need to capitalise any of those letters

House Disposition and War efforts

suggest making this in bold

“Loa” or “LoAi”

Ai means Abominable Intelligence in the Imperium of Man, maybe not use that? Or maybe not just capitalise the “a”

Roving banners of House Duval, often referred to as “Hands” proved uncanny in the defence of the

Delphiguan League and it’s population, however, which established them as a sort of patron saints to several League communities.

this is two parts, make it one.

At the battle of Null banners of House Duval fought on both sides with equal zeal,

and by the end of the War of the False Primarch, the once proud house was little more than an assembly of free blade banners holding unto a common origin while the majority of the remaining orthodoxy sworn banners were bonded to ensure their loyalty the victorious Forges.

this is in two parts, should be one.

Overall looks good but you should give it a ones over again, I know I have missed stuff. May have thoughts about the lore later after I have let it seethe a bit

Edited by Gamiel

Thanks for feedback and the proof reading
- in all seriousness, since I suffer from a vision disability and proof reading the voice to text outcomes of my rambling against my mobile’s auto correction nonsense is rather strenuous

And this is indeed a pretty early WiP flush under the influence of enthusiasm across this thread - but I aim to further rework / expand this from a mix of in and out of universe stuff to a more lore oriented form.

But I will not stand down on the Capitalisation of the MegaForms, however.
This is as close as humble me will ever come to sheer Abnettness !!

Edited a few missing words. And yes, I have to admit that my OP House Duval is some of the most ramshackle things I‘ve put up on the B&C yet

Edited by Xin Ceithan