New Night Lord Warband

Bobular

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster on here.

I'm starting a new project, trying to finish a Night Lords army after just finishing reading the first book in the Night Lords series (and being a fan of the Night Lords from the 30k books).

I'm posting here as I'm kinda doing this as a secret project, I don't want any of my friends I play against to know anything about these Night Lords until they hit the board in their fully painted gory glory!  But I still want to get some feedback as I'm going, so thought why not post them up on here?

I've started out by doing a single terminator:

Terminator

Terminator

Terminator

Terminator

Terminator

Its my first time painting anything like the lightning on Night Lords' armour, so hopefully it'll start looking better as I get more practice in.  I'm also trying to go for a trench/no man's land style for the bases as I know one of the armies my Night Lords will be facing will be a Krieg army.

So yeah, any comments or tips would be appreciated!

First off: Welcome to the B&C!

Secondly: You're clearly off to a great start if that lone Terminator is any indication :yes: The lightning, which is honestly the hardest thing about the Night Lords scheme, looks very well-done.

• 2 weeks later...
Its taken me much longer than I thought, but I've managed to paint up the rest of the squad.  I've tried changing the base colour over to black and I think its kinda helped.  Once again, any comments/criticisms/tips will be appreciated.

T2a

T2b

T2c

T2d

With this one I've tried to do some lightning on his face as well.  At some point I want to paint some skull imagery onto the helmets, but I'll probably leave that to the 'normal' chaos marines.  I also like the idea that this one has just chain fisted the guy on his base and is now turning his attention and his bolter to some guys a bit further away.

T3a

T3b

T3c

T3d

This guy had some spodgy bits on his base where the mud didn't cover properly, so I thought I'd fill them in with some green goo, probably some kind of chemical weapon launched into no-man's land to try to keep the forces of Chaos at bay... not that terminators care about that in the slightest.  Also the arm and shovel has me envisioning a lone Krieg soldier charging the terminator, shovel drawn, and getting blown to bits from a blow from the powerfist.

T4a

T4b

T4c

T4d

The squad heavy flamer.  I'm quite happy with the lightning on this guy, especially the small bit on his flamer.  Given him a Ultramarine helmet on his trophy rack as I frequently face Ultramarines, so clearly this guy must be a veteran at killing them.

T5a

T5b

T5c

T5d

T5e

Finally the combi-melta guy (as you may be able to tell, I've gone for a variety of weapons, rather than something more optimal).  I'm quite pleased with how I've done the White Scar helmet on his rack, was worried I'd mess up the white when it came to putting that red on it.  With his base I've tried to make it look like his walking on some wooden planking, but the weight of his armour has caused his feet to just go straight through the wood.  Not sure how well that's come across.  Also I was disappointed I couldn't get my hands on a Krieg lasgun, so had to make do with this one from my Guard regiment (A couple of heads on some of the other racks are from this regiment as well).

All Terminators

Finally a group shot of all five together!

• 2 weeks later...

Leaders

These two have just come in, so will be next up to be painted.  A Night Lord Chaos Lord (a beautiful mini from Artel "W" Miniatures, always liked the look of this guy and he's one of the reasons I chose to start this project), as well as a normal chaos sorcerer with a Night Lord winged helmet.  I've never really been a fan of the new plastic sorcerer's bare head.

The only issue I have now is that I didn't realise the new sorcerer was on a bigger base and I'd already stuck the lord to his base before realising.  Is this going to be a problem going forwards?  By which I mean will it look weird more than any actual game-play issues.

• 4 weeks later...
Its taken me a while to be able to paint up my Chaos Lord, but here he is, and I'm quite proud of how he's turned out.  And yes I did decide to put him on a bigger base, I think it fits him far better.

I'm not sure if I should try adding some blood to his claws?

Does his face look all right?  That's probably how I'll paint any marines without helmets in the group.  As a side note, I appreciate that Nostraman's have black eyes, makes it far easier to not have to paint the eyes the same.

Night Lords Lord

Night Lords Lord

Night Lords Lord

Next up will be my '8th Claw', who will be counts as Khorne Bezerkers.  They'll be a band of crazed, blood thirsty murderers... well, even more so than the rest of the warband.  I like to think that when someone in the warband becomes too crazed and becomes too much of a threat to the warband (or if they piss off the lord too much) then they get condemned to 8th claw.  8th claw are strapped into their dreadclaw drop pod, unable to move, rage building, until battle where they are launched right at the enemy to cause as much chaos, confusion and bloodshed as possible.  All of them shall be painted with sinners red gauntlets.  I've also given them all the Night Lord's winged helmets in a kinda reference to the Khorne Bezerker's helmets.

Night Lords Berzerkers

Night Lords Berzerkers

Looking great so far, great basework as well. :thumbsup:

I would suggest making the brightest lines within the lightning bolts - a bit smaller.

Example 

I agree, that's something to work on as I keep practising.  I've got to say as well, that's an awesome looking dreadnought.  I wish I could still get one, I've never really been a fan of the new hellbrute, I much prefer the classic dreadnought look and will probably convert a loyalist dreadnought, possibly making it obviously a stolen loyalist dreadnought... possibly have it's previous occupant dangling from a banner...

• 2 months later...

I've been on long term sickness for a while so I've made little progress on this project since my last post.  I would have thought at the start that being away from work for so long would have been good for my painting backlog...

Anyway, here's 4 Night Lord Berserkers.  I've tried to make them look Khorney, whilst still keeping the mostly Night Lord look to them.  I've tried making pools of blood on their bases, which will be a thing just for this squad to differentiate them more from the normal Chaos Marines.

Night Lord Berserkers pt1

The champion.  Not sure if a band of frothing, blood thirsty maniacs can actually be lead by anyone.  Maybe they just follow after him because he'll take them to the largest amounts of blood sacks they can open with their chainglaives...

Night Lord Berserker 1

Night Lord Berserker 1

And then the next 3:

Night Lords Berserker 2

Night Lords Berserker 2

Night Lords Berserker 3

Night Lords Berserker 3

Night Lords Berserker 4

Night Lords Berserker 4

And I also painted the first Krieger for my friend.  Here he is giving his life for his false Emperor and a Night Lord willing to help him with that:

Krieg vs Night Lord

I may try painting a vehicle next before doing the second half of the berserker squad.  I'm not sure, I'm kinda worried about filling the larger panels on a vehicle so it could be fun to give that a go.

Good idea on the winged helmets and stand-in for Khorne helmets.

Great work!

Where are the chain-glaives from? Have you converted them yourself? They do not look like the Forgeworld ones.

Edit: What is your recipe for the midnight clad blue?

Edited by Valkia the Bloody

Good idea on the winged helmets and stand-in for Khorne helmets.

Great work!

Where are the chain-glaives from? Have you converted them yourself? They do not look like the Forgeworld ones.

Edit: What is your recipe for the midnight clad blue?

Thanks!

The chain-glaves are 'nightmare roto-glaves' from pop goes the monkey.  Took a bit of fiddling around to get them to work, but I think the result is great.

For the armour I was mostly inspired by JuanHidalgo Miniatures' Night Lord's tutorial, just skipping some bits because I wanted mine a bit darker than his and mostly because I'm lazy.  I started with a white undercoat, then did 2 thin coats of Leviadon Blue and then tried to edge around the panels as best I could with The Fang.  It's fairly quick and easy and hopefully now I'm better I can get some more guys painted quickly.

• 3 months later...

Wow... I hadn't realised I haven't completed anything since January.

Well, in the quarter of a year since my last post, I've managed to complete a Chaos Sorcerer:

Night Lord Sorcerer

Night Lords Sorcerer back

There is also a 5 man squad of normal marines almost done and I started on building couple of vehicles:

Night Lords Rhino

Night Lords Rhino 2

I think the rhino is converted up nicely and almost ready to start painting.  I've gone with trying to make it look more like a heresy era rhino, if I get another I will proably do it up more like a modern rhino that has been stolen from an imperial chapter.   I'm looking forward to having a go on the bigger model.

There is also a Dreadnought (I don't like the hellbrute and don't think it fits with my idea of the Night Lords anyway) and a dreadclaw drop pod for my Khorne obsessed lunatics to ride in as they are shot at the enemy, which I will hopefully finish building tomorrow.

I was going to put some tattered skin and bones on the outside of the dreadclaw, but then realised that that would burn up on its way to the battlefield, so I'm probably just going to put some chains and maybe a few marine helmets on the outside.  Actually now that I think of it, it could be a cool idea to put a skeleton on the outside, paint it to look burned, and have that as some poor unfortunate who was strapped to the outside of the drop pod as it was launched out...

Well I sprayed my rhino...  I'd only left it on the side for about a week and it looks like the spiders have got to it.

Chaos rhino + spider

Chaos rhino + spider 2

The worse part is I kinda like the effect, but I can't stand real spiders so I'm going to have to clean it off.

Finished painting the first half of my 7th Claw.  These are going to be the guys who ride around in the rhino, so they are armed for close combat, where they can see the terror in their victim's eyes!

Night Lords 7th claw

Night Lords 7.1

Night Lords 7.2

Night Lords 7.3

Night Lords 7.4

Night Lords 7.5

I'm not sure how well the champion's face came out.  I wanted him to have a white skull face mask, so used a convenient one from the reiver pack.  The issue is that he also has pale skin so there isn't much contrast between his face and the mask.

Other than that, I'm thinking I'm getting more confident with the lightning pattens.