New to Aeronautica Imperialis

They Look great! 

Unfortunately i don't know the size comparison of those Xiphons yet so I can't do an exaggerated OOOHHH AHHHH at the size of the  Thunderhawk yet :tongue.:

Glad to see you have put them together, what are you going to use for the cockpit glass, IIRC I used a white or bone base layer and then put straight Contrast paint over the top of it. it makes it pop a bit more :thumbsup:

anyways look forward to seeing that big T-Hawk painted!! 

Cheers, Mithril

++EDIT++ I think when i get a Thunder Hawk i might modify the tail section to be like the old model... i prefer the T section.  and yeah it's only another two planes...not like your putting together two full size Eagles...:sweat:

Edited by mithrilforge

Hail!

Thank you, mithrilforge! I am glad that you like that (and that I have so far not mucked up the assembly!)

The weather has been very "English" - and thus unable to spray coat the models, I instead opted to assemble another few planes. And voila!

KWHqS6J.jpg

The Astartes air force is done, and I just need to do the three Eldar fighters, and everything is done with the assembly. I am becoming more and more enamoured with the idea of painting my Eldar air force in the colours of Craftworld Myrmeara. I think that cool blue-green scheme will look swell against the vibrant green of the Salamanders. 

Cheers!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Greetings master Ciaphas,

I see you've put nearly all the rest together :wub:

looking very nice , those eldar flyers...

Your scheme idea sounds tricky but Vibrant -

med_gallery_9146_3140_123633.jpg

Is this the army colour scheme?...

Nice colour combo's :thumbsup:

I think i will be going with Saim hann (always wanted a fully vehicle eldar army in my younger days & Saim hann was the army to have back then)

but if i wasn't those teal like tones of Mymeara would be enticing...

look forward to seeing paint on all these new units you have

Cheers, Mithril

That would be a lovely scheme. Probably a pain in the butt to paint but lovely for sure. Interesting how they moved the cockpit in the model compared to the drawing.

I may be mistaken (my years of being an Epic 40k Eldar player are long behind me now!) but I believe the drawing is of a Vampire Raider, rather than the Phoenix Bomber you’re comparing it to. They haven’t done the Vampire yet for AI, but I would be surprised if they don’t get round to it at some point, otherwise the Eldar have no way of winning all the taxi ride scenarios, as neither of their existing planes has a troop capacity!

Hail!

Yep - that is the scheme that I am aiming for. And cheers, Cordova, for the reddit link. Those Myrmeara look crisp! I do plan, however, to have the cockpit "pop" more, but that is certainly to taste. 

The recipe the reddit user used was this: Temple guard blue with hexwraith flame at the back baharoth drybrush. Coilia pin wash.

I plan on doing mostly the same, but unlike him (?), I do happen to have Waywatcher Green lying around, so I will be applying that, instead of Hexwraith Flame. 

On a related note, I actually managed to finish assembly of the three Nightwings, so now that everything is put together - and as it has not been raining today, I will be priming them all when I get home from work today. Huzzah!

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas 

Well done on finishing the rest, look forward to seeing paint on them

as to waywatcher green (and other discontinued glazes) you can make your own,

see here - How to Make - Citadel Glazes - YouTube

I already got the inks and plan on making the green at least (why GW do you take the  things that make our life better and replace it with Contrast...:dry.: )

Back on topic,  Temple guard blue is a great colour, can't wait to see your planes!!

Mithril

Cheers, Mithril!

Very informative video! I really like Juan Hidalgo's style. I used his Black Legionnaire 'Eavy Contrast scheme for my Blackstone Fortress Black Legion Legionnaires. It worked a treat! 

Sadly, I was not back from work until far, far too late yesterday (22:40), so I got nada done before hitting the pillows and sleeping. Perhaps I might succeed tonight. And that means, that with a wee bit of luck, I can have primed my Eldar flyers grey and base coated them with Temple Guard Blue come Monday. One can always hope, 'eh? :-) 

Good weekend!

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

Hail

A nice and quiet weekend has passed, and I managed to get a bit of painting done Friday evening and last night (before being "dragged" away by my wife, to watch La Casa de Papel with her). 

The bit of painting I got done managed to almost finish off the flimsy Eldar planes:

UXOD20O.jpg

I have gone for the Craftworld Myrmeara scheme - and I think it has come out acceptable enough to tabletop standard. These are btw the first Eldar models I have painted - ever - over the course of being a hobbyist since 1992. 

The Phoenix Bombers are probably my favourite of the two Eldar chassis. 

Now I just need to highlight the metal bits, shade and highlight the weapons and find a suitably "pang" colour for the cockpits. I will probably go with bright violet or some such Eldar nonsense. 

Cheers!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas 

Looking good :)

I suppose another alternative for the cockpit glass is an ice white, like P3 Frostbite or Game Colour Glacier Blue? (it'll give a lot of "value contrast" without introducing another colour, if that's your thing :))

Hail

Thank you for your comment, Cordova! It is appreciated. I would like another colour, actually, as I feel the planes need something to go "pang" on the colour. Alternatively, I am considering whether some of the "bubbles" on the fuselage should be painted as a soulstone gem (most likely red, as I find it difficult doing green and purple gems). 

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

Yellow may work, I was thinking a Pinky/Purple... like in the image I posted above :Troops: 

but I'm sure whatever colour Master Ciaphas does do, it'll look great. 

After seeing yours I cannot wait to get started on mine :wub:  ...

Cheers, Mithril

Hail!

Yesterday I managed to finish the painting part of the Eldar planes. Overall, I am quite satisfied with the result and consider them table top ready now. 

11Fa3jm.jpg

Now - first up - I absolute loathe the look of the paper mat, and I am very happy that I have invested in the cardboard one to supplement it. If I like the game enough, I will consider buying a neoprene gaming mat instead of either the paper og cardboad mats. 

Secondly, I am a bit on the fence with whether to add transfers or other markings to hte planes. I might - just might - add some white stripes to a few of them, to mark out "aces" or the squadron leaders. 

Time will tell.

That said, I have this evening primed the 12 bases, that I will try to do a "radar look" on. Perhaps it will easy enough. I have watched a few videos on YouTube - but they all use an airbrush. That is some modern attraption, that I do not own. 

Also, I have added the first layer and shading on my three Xiphon Interceptors. Lovely little planes they are!

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

Stunning planes there Master Ciaphas  :wub:  

I'd use decals, but only if it adds to them...not just for the sake of putting them on, I do think stripes on Squadron leaders/Ace's is a great idea :thumbsup:

I did the "Radar Look" on some of my bases and that was with brush...it's quite do-able ! i did water some of the colour down to glaze level ...to make the colour fade.

Can't wait to see these Xiphons!! :drool:

Cheers, Mithril

Hail!

Thank you! I am glad that they meet approval! 

Yesterday evening I moved forward with my plan to radar-dise the bases - so below a picture of how far I have gotten on the first three bases, and what I will be working on tonight and tomorrow evening, before my hobbying is paused to attend Christmas hols with the family. 

P3oLrBQ.jpg

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

• 3 weeks later...

Hail!

So - the new year has arrived and I have resumed my Aeronautica Imperialis works. Sadly I forgot to bring Waywatcher Green and Carroburg Crimson with me on Christmas hols, so work on finishing the bases stalled entirely. They are not too far from done however...and I really look forward to finishing them off. 

Planewise, I am working on the Thunderhawk and the three Xiphons. I reckon they will be done tonight or tomorrow (sans bases). 

Here is where they are at the moment:

nzhsUqo.jpg

yHEZVLC.jpg

HGv6Cvp.jpg

I just need to do the metal and black details, he cockpits and then add decals. Easy-peasy. 

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

Oh very nicely done Master C !,

Your a bit more ahead than I am in your imperial aircraft :-D

I like the black on the cowlings of one of the Xiphons… is it just the one?, is he the flight leader?…

That Thunderhawk is looking mighty impressive!

Cheers Mithril

Hail!

Thank you both! I did not manage to finish them yesterday after all; my wife tempted with "The Witcher" season two and tea. Still; the Xiphons are almost done now; just need to gloss varnish the cockpits, add more black details, highlighting and decals. All can be done in about 60 minutes of painting and drying time. Then I just need to do the Thunderhawk and more bases than I care to :-)

I think once those are done, I will paint some Blackstone Fortress (Rogue Psykers and Traitor Guardsmen), before returning to finish off the two Storm Eagles. 

I might also just - just maybe - be able to get the first game of AI in next week. Let's see how it turns out with the pandemic and all. My friend who also plays AI works as a school teacher, so he is often exposed to vectors...

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

Hail!

I just jused a coffee break to do a mock up, of what it would look like on the "proper" hard stock mat with (almost) painted planes and finished bases. Looks alright, if I might say so myself :-)

hbOIRrB.jpg

Also - I am really loving that I do not have to paint up a tonne of terrain for this game!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas