New to Aeronautica Imperialis

Looking good, I like the hard mat too, I must invest in a mouse pad(material) mat one day…

Those bases help out a lot in making the planes “pop” …

Hope you can get a game in soon !

Cheers Mithril

Hail!

Thank you both!

I managed to finish the Xiphons last night and this evening they will get their decals. Then they are done! 

My next plans for AI - beyond finishing the Storm Eagles in February some time, is that I will probably get a box of Fire Raptors. In many ways I am a completionist at heart. I might - just might - also get the Eldar Ground Assets from Forge World, so that these missions can also be played against the pointy-eared space supremacists. 

When/if GW releases an Astartes campaign book a la Rynn's World or Taros Air War, I will be getting that too. 

Then - my plan is basically just to play games - and if I like them, I will add any new Astartes fliers they make to the collection - and perhaps an Eldar flyer with carriyng capacity.

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

I’m with you on a campaign book. The first two were really awesome just from a lore perspective, really gave me old Imperial Armoir vibes.

I’m kind of hoping/waiting for more Astartes flyers before I start a Matine force. Unpopular opinion but Inreally don’t care for the Xiphon, and I’d love some AI scale Storm Talons

Hail!

I finally managed to finish the Xiphon Interceptors this weekend. Overall, I am very pleased with the rseults:

u0lSqYC.jpg

My Thunderhawk is also all but done; the only thing I still need to do on that, is to finish off the base. 

After the bases are done, I am working on these things:

TK8sjRM.jpg

Another five bases (one of which is for the Thunderhawk) and the last two Astartes fliers. Seeing how quickly I got the Xiphons done, I think these will be easier to do now, as I am in "the flow", rather than later. Hence a reshuffling of my painting schedule. 

When these five bases are done, I will probably return to the Eldar fliers and finish them off with wee markings and details. Then I will finish the last four bases that need doing...

...and all that probably just in time for me to lose the battle against the desire to buy some of the lovely Necron planes, that will come on pre-order Friday this week. For shame. I have not even played a single game yet!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Looks like you're off to a great start with those Salamanders - really like the freehand flames! :smile.: (the Salamander colour scheme is one I've often struggled with, as I like the 2nd Edition "nearly Dark Angels" and 3rd Edition Neil Green schemes more than the current one, and getting Snot Green to cover anything gave me fits ...)

Hail!

Thank you all for your kind comments! I am pleased that you like them! I hope that I can finish the bases and Eldar tonight; then I can put of pics tomorrow of how they have turned out. Perhaps.

In the meanwhile - look what I found in the local GW

GqIAtEy.jpg

Yeah! Now I have the advanced rules, more scenarios and the rules for playing campaigns. All good and ready for the Companion book next week. 

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

Great you got the book !! , I got that one for Christmas :thumbsup: 

Really love your bases, I like how you can tell the front from the back quite easily !.
The Xiphons look fantastic and the flames on the wing leader adds a great touch !
I think we’re all looking forward to seeing everyone else’s Thunderhawks :laugh.: 

Cheers Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

Thanks, Mithril!

I have only skimmed the book so far. My initial impressions:

- the fluff is great; it is a sequel to the ancient FW book "Taros", rather than an extra to that. I think it is neat, that they continue the story,

- the campaign rules are really (as in really, really, really) light. I have not been able to find a "win or lose condition" in them. Basically, I think the campaign rules are quite poor,

- the bespoke Taros missions look cool; I will look forward to fighting a battle in the subterrenean setting!

That is all that I managed to read yesterday. And even then, it is more skimmed, than read. 

As for the Thunderhawk...you show me yours, and I will show you mine! :-)

I did not manage to get any painting done, but perhaps tonight. I have a work task that needs (as in REALLY needs) to get done by tomorrow at the latest, so that has priority to finishing off the Thunderhawks flight base. 

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

Oh well… work pays for the toys (and the roof over your head!) so I guess it comes first!.

My Thunderhawk won’t be done for a week or so … I’ve gotta do the last Storm Eagle and some of the Eldar planes are sitting in the queue in front of it :happy.:  I like to paint a different plane each time I do one so I don’t get bored… although I hammered out those Xiphons all together…

I think that underground mission will be fun as well !?!.. maybe it might be as easy as shooting swamp rats in beggars canyon… who knows …. :wink.: 

Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

Yeah, that is the sad truth. 

On a different note...I have discovered that one of the FLGS still has the T'au Aircraft & Aces cards in stock. Now I am tempted to get a copy of Skies of Fire, which is also on offer at a 50% discount... sigh.

Skies of Fire @ 50% off… do it my friend !! … it’s worth it at that price simply for the Valkyries alone…
I got those tau cards in December, last pack I’d seen ever at a FLGS … it’s fate… follow your destiny …:tongue.: 

Cheers Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

- the campaign rules are really (as in really, really, really) light. I have not been able to find a "win or lose condition" in them. Basically, I think the campaign rules are quite poor,

They're more rules for replacing losses and progressing pilots than anything else, aren't they?

- the bespoke Taros missions look cool; I will look forward to fighting a battle in the subterrenean setting!

The "rolling road" low-altitude missions look fun too (think Death Start trench run, or "Bommerz over da Sulphur River") :smile.:

Thank you for the comments, gents!

Now - I actually went by to look for Skies of Fire - but alas it turned out, that that has been sold out, and now they "only" have about 6 or 7 copies of the original Wings of Vengeance box (also at half price, though), lying around. I am therefore a bit torn on whether to grab a copy of that instead. On the one hand, I like the Imperial planes better than the ones in Skies, but I vastly prefer the T'au to the Orks. Horrible First World Problem, this is! 

Also, the local GW still also has a sole remaining copy of the Taros Area of Engagement cardboard map lying around, with the subterranean area on the one side (which looks really cool!) - that I perhaps would like as well. 

Finally - and perhaps most telling - is that I think I would also like a pair of the new Necron flyers coming on pre-order tomorrow - as well as the Companion Book - so I guess there is plenty to spend my hard-earned money on!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Hail,
The wings of vengeance box is good value too, the thunderbolts are really nice (albeit a tad too large scale wise) I love the orks (I have an army in 40K) so I had a great time painting them…
Again it’s great value at the discount you mentioned…
And the mats !!, you’re really spoilt for choice here :laugh.: 

Cheers, Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

It's a shame about the Skies of Fire box is sold out at your FLGS. I have seen a few retailers selling their sets on eBay in the UK - I don't know if retailers using e-Bay like that is "a thing" in Denmark or not?

I second what Mithril said - the planes in the Wings of Vengeance are really nice (in terms of quality - I really love the Ork planes, although I understand the styling may not be for everyone!). Given that Wings of Fire at half price is basically the cost of the Marauders at full price, you're basically getting the Thunderbolts and the Orks "for free"? Could you sell the Orks on, or use them to bribe an on-the-fence gamer? I suppose the other question is would you need more Thunderbolts (2 sets gives you 4, or adding a squadron box gives you 6)?

As for the mat ... as long as it being foldable and made from cardboard doesn't bother you, and you like the design ... more variety is better in my opinion (it's also one of those odd cases where the GW option is the cheaper option). :smile.:

Cheers for your replies!

I know - I am having kinda the same thoughts. The offer "seems too good to pass up". I think I will ruminate on it over the weekend. 

As for the hard card board map of Taros AOE, I think that I for sure will pick that up, as well as the T'au cards, as I really feel like painting a Barracuda and Tiger Shark in the Vior'La Sept colours (white, grey and red). If I were to pick up the Orks, I think I would go for Bad Moons yellow. I always liked the old Warboss Nazdreg from the (now ancient) campaign pack "Storm of Vengeance" featuring a joint Nazdreg-Ghazzy invasion of Piscina IV, which is a Dark Angels protecturate.

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas 

Hail Master C,

have you decided on your Purchases yet?!?...

bad moons orks would look great (here's mine)

med_gallery_9146_3140_1143995.jpg

And Vior'La T'au will rock ( I too am going to go with that scheme on mine :happy.: )

Side Note* if you get T'au and you want to get Tigersharks... Get The AX 1-0 box instead of the standard one's ...

Cheers. Mithril

Hail! 

Thanks, Mithril!

Lovely Dakkajets you have there - I love the chequers pattern you have on them! I would have done the exact same thing! Orks look great Your bases look amazing too! I really like the bright radar stripe on it!

Now - as for purchases...I went and bought these Friday: 

ZvSWH1P.jpg

I decided that having more variety in boards is always a good thing - and as the T'au cards were the very last in stock (Imperial Navy, Orks, Imperial Guard are all long gone), I might as well get them. 

Further - I have also managed to finish the Thunderhawk:

FWLxY04.jpg

It is a lovely chunky boi! I really like it! I was contemplating getting a second one, but decided against it. I would rather have more variety in the shape of two Fire Raptors. 

Lastly - I have also finished off my Craftworld Myrmeara air force:

X5y4TyE.jpg

rZivCAW.jpg

mSz5uRG.jpg

They have all gotten a few markings and at least one transfer. Those transfers are just SO TINY! I think I will have to get a magnifying glass in the future. My old eyes are just not up for it anymore. 

When I do get a box of T'au, I will either get the Skies of Fire if that is on sale in February, or I will just buy a box or two of their regular fliers. The AX-1-0 is certainly an auto-take :-)

I will anyhow be finishing off everything I have for AI before I buy any new stuff. That will also make AI the first game I own, where I have painted EVERYTHING!

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

Nice set of minis. :smile.:

If you're looking for a magnification aid, I can highly recommend an OptiVisor with either 2.0x or 2.5x magnification lenses. :smile.: (reading glasses are an alternative, too)

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

Wow very nice Thunderhawk and Eldar flyers, loving the stripes on those planes, your giving me ideas and motivation!!

, if I finish my AI stuff too then I’ll be in the same boat as you (first game with every model finished !!)

Keep at it my friend, not far to go for you !!!

Cheers Mithril

Hail!

Thank you both for your comments. 

@Firedrake - I have looked at the OptiVisor om Amazon. I think I will just order such a thing; it will make me look crazy wearing it, though! :-D My daughter will love it!

@Mithril - cheers, mate! I am glad that you like them, and that they have given you a modicum of inspiration! How much AI stuff do you sitll need to do? Perhaps a list in your thread would be in order? Personally I find it is helpful to have lists...as it keeps me sort of on track!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas