New to Aeronautica Imperialis

@Firedrake - I have looked at the OptiVisor om Amazon. I think I will just order such a thing; it will make me look crazy wearing it, though! :-D My daughter will love it!

I'm not sure which one you're looking at, so apologies if this isn't helpful, but Amazon have a "knock-off" OptiVisor listed:

• the lenses it comes with are good, and it comes with 4 covering 1.5x-3.5x
  • it isn't as comfortable as the proper Donegan Optical one (padded plastic on the headband vs leather)
  • the raising/lowering mechanism isn't as good (it slowly "droops" when it's raised up)
  • the lenses are held in with plastic plugs rather than screws (easily rectified)
  • the adjustment mechanism doesn't feel as robust.

It is 1/3 the price though, and there's a reasonable argument for getting one as a "tester" to work out if you're going to "get on" with it, and which lens is likely to be the on you'd want (the lenses will fit the Donegan Optical one) before taking the plunge on the "proper" one. :smile.: (the above is based on hands-on experience with both :smile.:)

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

I don't know about you guys but I just use some slimline Reading glasses 3.5x or 4x magnification that I got from the local chemist and a desk lamp with a day bulb, that solved my less than perfect eyesight for fine miniature painting! ...

@ Master C - yeah i should list what i have left to put together and to paint... 

Cheers, Mithril

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hail!

Thank you all! Now, I have been getting about zero painting done, with loads of work at my real work needing doing as well as a full on outbreak of the dreaded C in the household last week. Only now are we getting back on my feet - and time with can be spent on hobbying is a scarce ressource! 

I did however manage to find this lovely thing at the local GW Saturday, in their pile of "to be cleared shortly":

VBW7Xtp.jpg

My AI book collection is thus complete! 

I got the Companion weekend last and have only had time to skim it; it contained less than I thought, but I honestly think that the new damage rules will add some needed "crunch" to the ruleset. Not that I played any games yet, but hey! lack of practical experience or even knowledge, will never prevent me from havning like, an opiion :-) ;-)

I really want to get my last to AI planes (two Storm Eagles) done by end of next week, so that I can buy a box of Fire Raptors, a pair of NIght Scythes and Doom Scythes as well as an Eldar Vampire Raider (?) (the one with transport capacity). After that, I think I will get a T'au fleet...just because I have their cards and I get the feel from the various battle reports on YouTube, that they play differently from Eldar, Astartes and even Necrons...? 

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

Well, that's quite a find! :)  I think you're probably right that the most interesting thing in the Companion is the damage rules.

The Tau are lovely models - I don't really think the photos on GW's web site do them justice (I didn't like them based on the photos, but did once I saw them). :)

Cheers!

Now I just wish that I could find the Ork and Imperial Navy cards! Heh! Oh, well. And the "Wings of Vengeance" is still on sale at 50% at the FLGS, while there is but a single copy left of "Skies of Fire" at the FLGS and the local GW store. Oh, the temptation!

Hail!

Very true. The "Wings of Vengeance" boxes do look tempting...but to be honest, I think I would prefer a "Skies of Fire" - not least because I yesterday went and bought a box of these fellas!

voKT6Nz.jpg

They were on clearance anyway 270 -> 150,- so quite a savings. 

I also had a bit of time last night, so I fiddled them together too:

GIXD7Ra.jpg

Both are armed with the heavy rail cannons, but each sport either the cyclic ion blasters or the burst cannons. I have also managed to assemble them in such a way that the ion and burst cannons can swivel round, which I think is neat...if utterly useless otherwise :-D

And yes - they will be painted as Vior'La Sept. I found a video on Youtube by Juan Hidalgo, who does a series of 'Eavy Contrast tutorials, that I will try to follow. That dude is an amazing painter!

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

Hail!

Yep, Juan Hidalgo is extremely talented. Nick Bayton is also a solid painter - but he is no Hidalgo and even less a Duncan Rhodes. 

So I decided to challenge myself, and went for Juan's recipe. Here is a WIP of where they are at now:

7CcnS5c.jpg

Because doing panel highlighting is you know...always fun!

I expect they will be done by tomorrow, as I only need to finish the panel ligthing, do the cockpit glass and add a few red and gray markings. 

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

Hail Master C, 

very well done, look fwd to seeing red and grey making them Pop :wub:

I love white armour with a brown recess wash something about it works so well... (been tempted to try My Drukhari in white armour for a while now, got to get the courage up first :sweat:

Cheers, Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge
emoji fails clean up

Hail Mithril!

Thank you for the comments! Yep, I am mostly done with the white lining; it is certainly a bore to do, with failing eyes (not that I am getting old, mind you! Ok...I actually am). I think you are quite right, that the T'au models will pop once I get the greys and reds done on them.

I have been looking at the T'au decal sheet - and I just do not see where you would add any of those markings? They seem uninspiring to me!

@Mithril - painting an entire army in white armour?! You are a braver man than me by far!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Hail!

A wee bit of progress last night; these flying fish of fury are nearing completion! "Just" need to highlight the grey, the red, colour in the cockpit and add a few more details, and I am calling them done. 

BeIhFO0.jpg

Then I really have to finish the two Storm Eagles and the last - now - six bases. I think I will paint the two newest bases from the T'au Air Caste planes a different scheme than the ones I have done for the Eldar and Salamanders; perhaps I will go with Blue? Seems a fitting base colour for the T'au?

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

• 2 weeks later...

Woah... Very Nice indeed ! :wub:...:thumbsup:

Love em ! ,  Agreed, Tuna Fish Blue :tongue.:  or whatever GW's equivalent is will be perfect !  

Cheers, Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge
emoji fails clean up

• 1 month later...

Hail!

Well - a rather longer hiatus than intended - but such is life at times!

First up - I have managed to get a game in! 

I visited a friend Saturday, and he gave me a test game. I borrowed his Eldar (I had forgotten my own), and he played Imperial Navy. We tried 80p, and I went with 3x Nightwings each with extra scatter lasers. He went with 3 x Lightnings and a Maruader Bomber.

0St6iSa.jpg

It did not go according to my plan. I got tabled hard by early Turn 3. Still, it was good fun and I have gotten a hang of the mechanics. It is not too dissimilar to fx FFG's X-Wing game. I have no doubt that AI will get better with more experience, but nor am I in any doubt about it being best as a beer-and-pretzels (or gin & tonic) kind of game. It should play in about 30-40 minutes, which is fine as a pick-up game or if another main game finishes quicker than anticipated. 

Inspired by FINALLY having gotten a game of IA in, I went home and by yesterday I had managed to finish my last four bases from the Angels of Wrath starter set:

cnLy6y3.jpg

I am happy enough with the result! 

Also, I have almost finished the two Storm Eagles from the WoA set, and they need about another hour, hour and a half to get done, including decals and a flame pattern.

U0Gt3uC.jpg

That will then only leave me my two T'au Tiger Sharks that are almost also done - but their bases also need painting. I think I will paint theirs blue, now that Eldar and Astartes have the green and red bases. 

Once the T'au are done, I will either by a box of Barracudas, or the Eldar Ground Assets, Vampire Raider & a blister of Nightshade Interceptors. I am not too enamoured (or, that is a lie) by the Hemlock, just that I think the Aspect Warrior fighter will be more "fun" - but I might be wrong. 

Cheers!!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Edited by Master Ciaphas

Yay Congrats on getting a game of AI in :woot:  ...!! 

Glad it enthused you to go finish those wickedly nice bases :cool.:  , lovely stormies too !

Hey your mates planes are really nice, is that turquoise he put on there :drool:

I need to get back to finishing my AI planes (after I finish my harlequins and Eldar for 40k :tongue.: ) 

Cheers, Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge
emoji fails clean up

Congrats on getting a game in. Sorry you only made it to turn 3 before getting tabled! That’s not hugely unusual in AI but people seem to enjoy it.

Your planes are looking really good, as are your friend’s. Great work.

Cheers for the replies!

@Mithril - it is some kind og Contrast Paint turquise, that he has used. It is basically the colour for the Heresy-Era Alpha Legion. 

@Mandragola - well, yeah. For me, AI will purely be a supplementary beer-and-pretzels game, not to be taken too seriously. A game that can be played with friends after dinner, with a glass of wine or a pint of beer. There is no doubt, that AT18 is a vastly superior game system...but it also takes far more space and time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hail!

So - finally! I managed to gather the motivation to finish my last two Adeptus Astartes planes, thus finishing the "Wrath of Angels" starter set. Glorious to have actually finished an entire starter set!

First up - the Storm Eagles:

q10W5JO.jpg

IJIwebJ.jpg

And then for the sake of completeness, the entire boxed set (bulked out with the Astartes Ground Assets and the Thunderhawk):

JA70jLj.jpg

7rOBBqo.jpg

The complete, painted collection:

MRZfh7W.jpg

Only thing that needs to be done now, is to finished the two T'au Air Caste Tiger Sharks AX-1-0 with railguns...and then see if I can source 3-4 Barracudas somewhere, as I do not think I will ever need six of them, that comes in a box...

Also, naturally, I need to start getting a few games in. Perhaps this weekend, I can convince my father-in-law to have a game with me. 

Cheers!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

• 3 weeks later...

Hail!

Thank you both!

Wow what an awesome Looking force you ended up with, Hope you can convince the father in law to play as Eldar for you...:biggrin.:

Cannot wait to see the T'au all finished as well!!

Cheers, Mithril

I am also looking forward to finishing off my two T'au planes. That will give me a bit of breathing room. Sadly, I did not get to play AI, but hopefully an opportunity will present itself within the next few weeks!

Those salamanders turned out great! You plan on adding any more Marine air to your force?

Cheers! As for your question - funny that you should ask ;-) I had planned on only gettiing a box of Fire Raptors and then calling my Astartes "done".....howeveeeer, now that WarCom has revealed this today: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/30/the-adeptus-custodes-join-the-aeronautica-imperialis-air-war-in-a-flash-of-gold-and-crimson/ I will certainly be getting a Golden Boys plane as well!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

• 1 month later...

Hello there!

So - after some initial trouble, I was able to recover my account with the speedy help of Brother Tyler! Fantastic stuff!

Last Wednesday, I also managed to get in three games of Aeronautica Imperialis - my Salamander Astartes against Craftworld Mymeara. All the models were mine, as I lent them to a friend, so he could try the game as well.

First up was just a Nightwing vs a Xiphon. After moves in turn 1, the Xiphon promptly shot down the Nightwing.

For the second and third game, we played 104p games, using these lists:

Astartes: Thunderhawk w. Ceramite Plating, Storm Eagle, Xiphon w. Veteran upgrade

Mymeara: Vampire Raider, Nightwing w. Aeldari Ace upgrade, 2x Nightwings w. Bright Lances

Second took about two turns longer - but with no losses, the Aeldari were down two Nightwings. whilst the Astartes had suffered no hits or casualties.

The third game took even longer, with us having to stop, as my friend had to go. The game ended with Astartes having 5 Structure Points left in their fleet (down one Storm Eagle) and Mymeara left with four (1 on the Nightwing, 3 on the Vampire Raider. 

Here are some pictures from game two and three.

Game Two

PVQ2eQi.jpg

22rUVeq.jpg

kwP4Z6U.jpg

Game Three

AJTMv1D.jpg

xCnfVHD.jpg

tG1g25G.jpg

fX4UcGs.jpg

3qQA6I0.jpg

b0WDuo5.jpg

7LgQ5Tk.jpg

Highlights of Game Three was the Vampire Raider stalling and then going into a spin. It was a really tight game, and a lot of relaxed fun! I am looking forward to more AI action.

As I have also finished all the models I have, I have ordered a blister of Aeldari Hemlocks from Forge World, which are enroute in the mail. Once they are painted up, I will get a pair of Fire Raptors, which will probably complete my collection.

Cheers!

Hail!

So - the mail man came by with "presents" for me...from me :-)

I think these two will finish off my Craftworld Mymeara air assets - perhaps the completionist in me will "force" me to also buy the Nightshade Interceptors, as variety is said to be the spice of life...

Here is what I got in the mail:

4uZJXBa.jpg

And unpacked:

tmgmAYu.jpg

The models are really crisp and lovely - and I look foward to getting them cleaned, assembled and painted.

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas