TCC’s Guard Army - Cadian

TCC

I just played a practice game against my Blood Angles and the Guard smashed them. Both my manticores got tangled turn two by sanguinary guard and a smash captain - they both survived until the end of the game by trading places in combat and falling back - normally they die on the turn of the charge.

The Banehammer was great, I gave it the tank ace hull down deployment and set it up as far forward as I could in the centre of the deployment. I started of with 20 Conscripts and 5 man command squad on board (protect the standard from death turn one - it’s a great source of VP), and then used the tank to shield another 10 squad from line of sight. My first turn i disembarked everyone (gaining 3inch to their moves) so gained extra ground putting the standard on the centre objective and pushed the conscripts to the left objective, then embarked the other squad behind and made use of its transport abilities and gun deck.

pS7weFd.jpg

oyqZcQq.jpg

1 hour ago, TCC said:

I just played a practice game against my Blood Angles and the Guard smashed them. Both my manticores got tangled turn two by sanguinary guard and a smash captain - they both survived until the end of the game by trading places in combat and falling back - normally they die on the turn of the charge.

The Banehammer was great, I gave it the tank ace hull down deployment and set it up as far forward as I could in the centre of the deployment. I started of with 20 Conscripts and 5 man command squad on board (protect the standard from death turn one - it’s a great source of VP), and then used the tank to shield another 10 squad from line of sight. My first turn i disembarked everyone (gaining 3inch to their moves) so gained extra ground putting the standard on the centre objective and pushed the conscripts to the left objective, then embarked the other squad behind and made use of its transport abilities and gun deck.

pS7weFd.jpg

oyqZcQq.jpg

How’d the sentinels feel?

One sentinel survived until the end of the game, one died turn one (which is expected, usually more than one dies). The two remaining held the centre objective and hit on 2’s with their lascanons (used the strat) which both did some damage (I normally run them bare bones so doing damage and taking out marines was a surprise). Then I moved the remaining sentinel of the centre objective (troops took over holding it) and moved it closer to my tank commanders so I could then start scoring the secondary inflexible command.

Edited by TCC

On 2/1/2022 at 6:32 AM, TCC said:

Battle Report

Cadian Vs Blood Angels 2000pts
Mission Shifting Fronts - deployment zones are long edges of the board

The Cadian’s deployed with the manticore’s at the rear left corner hidden by cover. Infantry took the objective in the DZ and formed a line in front and sides of the Pask ready to move up. A couple of squads where held on either side in cover as reservists. Snipers and the plasma guy stayed high on a building, the sentinels and Valkyrie pushed up to the deployment line in the centre and the two tank commanders hid behind a building on the left.

L4RBlMr.jpg

Turn 1
Cadian’s
Guard got to go first (after 4 dice rolls!) the sentinels pushed up front onto the centre objective marker, the Valkyrie flew over to the right of the board.
The infantry on the left all advanced forward followed by the chimera, Pask full moved to get the demolisher cannon and plasma’s into range - this was a risk. The snipers did a couple of mortal wounds on the infantry. The two TC both half moved either side of the building and fired the Gatekeeper and Hammer of Sunderance into troops that where visible. The flat 3 damage finished them easily. Pask took out some of the primaries aggressors and the manticores both dropped onto the onto them also taking out two units. 

Blood Angles
The tactical warsuits stayed in cover and fired at the infantry, the repulsor moved out of cover and engaged a sentinel and Pask, taking of a chunk of wounds and the primaries aggressors followed up taking him down to 3 wounds remaining. Mafiston charge with wings and made into the tank commander on the far right, luckily he only managed to take it down to 5 wounds remaining, the sentinels took a beating from the infantry. 

TU4Atg9.jpg

Turn 2
Cadian’s 
The Valkyrie hovered and fired at Mephiston, taking some wounds, the snipers did two mortal wounds to a dreadnought and plasma guy also dealt a wound on Maphiston. The TC fell back from Maphiston and a guard squad moved in between the two, the tech priest healed the TC for 2. The other TC fired the Gatekeeper into the face of Maphiston and wiped him. The guard on the left continued to push forwards, one squad stayed back to hold the objective, the chimera pushed and used its heavy flamer. Pask used relentless to fire all weapons on the repulsor, and he obliterated it. The manticores both fired on the  primaries aggressors taking another one out.

sXFdes6.jpg

Blood Angels 
All the blood angels pushed forwards, they took the back objective, the tactical warsuits took out some infantry and shot the Valkyrie, then charged it taking down to 2 wounds. The primaries aggressors took out Pask who exploded taking out the platoon commander and a few more infantry. The bladegaurd who came out the big tank charged the guard on the objective and wiped them, the other BA characters took out the Chimera.

Turn 3
Cadian’s 
The infantry on the right moved around the bladegaurd to take the objective, the Valkyrie moved over to the back objective and dropped the troops onto it. The TC’s both fired at the two tactical warsuits and both were taken out. The manticores wiped the some of the characters.

ohqfYtN.jpg

Blood angels
The bladegaurd charged the manticore dealing a few wounds. The primaries aggressors took out the sentinel. 

The blood angels, were left on only the one centre objective, the guard had the remaining 4 in their control, two tank commanders, two manticores, the Valkyrie and remnants of 5 infantry squad’s, the BA commander assessed their resources and calmly accepted the loss giving the win to the guard.

This annoys me so much, your army looks great, the table looks great, real easy to see the guard probing ahead to find the enemy, and then there’s just blobs of stock gray.

screws the whole thing up.

Battle Report (short)

Blood Angels vs Guard 

T1 to Guard 

Conscripts and the command squad with std jumped onto the centre objective from the Doomhammer.

The TCs and sentinels moved out of cover to be able to shoot.

Few of the blood angels units took casualties. The troops planted banners.

The BA moved up, took out some conscripts and a few other troops but hid instead of charging.

T2

Guard shot back, the Doomhammer destroyed a dreadnought , other squads were taken down in numbers and some destroyed. The troops reinforced the three close objectives.

BA pushed everything up taking more troops out, the two tank commanders took the brunt of the fire taking both of down to their lowest brackets.

T3 

The Doomhammer moved up to reinforce the middle objective now that the conscripts were down to 1 and blow a full squad of Sanguinary Guard away (-5 AP is good). The TC used jury rigging and relentless to up their brackets for improved firing. The Doomhammer charged the remaining chaplain on the centre objective taking him down to one wound.

BA shot then charged everything at the Doomhammer - it fired overwatch and killed the second sanguinary guard unit but the dreadnought and Dante finished it off. The troops bailed out to hold the middle objective.

T4 

Guard shot back hard, everything was taken out apart from the librarian who fell back and the squads in the far corner objectives. Guard was holding the objectives well.

BA killed the TC that had pushed up as well as the troops next to it, with so little units left the BA were doomed. 

At this point we scored up including the last turn.

BA 68 points 

Guard 95 points

Observations: 

The Doomhammer was good, it was great at protecting troops and slinging then up the board - one troop gets off, another embarks. Also it’s main cannon with -5 AP was great against marines with armour of content 

The mortars with take aim, did as many wounds as the manticores, the manticores struggled and for their points cost I’m considering taking one out and adding more mortars (but I would need to buy and paint more kits - probably wait until the new models drop).

TCs did there thing well, but one did fluff one turn and failed to kill a squad of marines.

holding the sentinels back T1 stopped BA getting a first turn charge.

The new secondaries ‘Boots’ and  ‘Inflexible Command’ were great, I only dropped points on Banners all game 

2p3DQXJ.jpg

F5oBcat.jpg

10 minutes ago, duz_ said:

Did the new buffs help? Are Baneblade chassis more durable now? 

They helped loads, it took the whole army to take it out which freed up all my troops to take objectives, raise banners and hold. I’m tempted to take an Astropath again to boost it further or a TC depending on where the action is.

Edited by TCC

• 1 month later...

First time playing Genestealer Cults, the chap I played is a really sound guy and ranked very high in the country for playing GSC (I have played some of his other factions before, but his GSC has been of limits I guess due to the lethality, until now).

I castled up with full screening in place, my latest list has two new Basilisk’s with full payload, two manticores, two tank commanders, Scions and three command squads with standards (maximising out the guard secondaries). The power level was 117 (the highest I have had from a 2k guard list).

To cut to the chase, it was going well by the end of turn two. The Genestealers that appeared were dealt with (along with the rest of the mele range threats). But, anything I pushed out to the primary objectives on were cut down within that turn, taking away any possible primary points. I did well on the secondaries and with a little more luck on my dice, I my have turned that primary tide). Great game and a very different army to play where my high negative AP weapons were lost on the horde).

If I did not have the scions, the hades breaching drill and all the indirect fire it would have been a slaughter - the first turn I had zero direct line of sight targets ( I went first) making my tank commanders almost useless (apart from ordering the indirect fire vehicles).  

There is nothing I’m going to change in this list (for now), I just need to learn to play the my deepstrike units better (not rush them all T2).

upfPkqJ.jpg

KDc2MYa.jpg

PqFlL3G.jpg

rrflmeg.jpg

XwJdR31.jpg

5 hours ago, duz_ said:

Such a pretty castle! :wub:

I'm curious what units were cutting down your troops as they advanced? 

Was double dual artillery units worth it? I quickly dropped manticores in 8th for basilisks. 

It was a combination of units.

Two genesteller groups took out a squad of shock troops each, there was a character with a very unique pistol that did another! And then some shooting (cannot remember his unit). The scions and the veterans were taken out by the bikers and most of his characters in mele. 

Double artillery was very worthwhile T1 because I got to go first and nothing was visible so only the arty and the motors could shoot.

5 hours ago, duz_ said:

Such a pretty castle! :wub:

I'm curious what units were cutting down your troops as they advanced? 

Was double dual artillery units worth it? I quickly dropped manticores in 8th for basilisks. 

Thanks for commenting on the thread, as a reward here is a full army on parade picture of the list I used.

cwWB1Kw.jpg

6 hours ago, Jud Cottrell said:

They really do look great TCC!

What’s next on the painting table?

Finishing some conscripts, master of ordinance, some terrain, Blood Angle devastator squad - maybe some Orks! Take a break from Guard until the new sentinels and tank arrive. Who knows!

6 hours ago, Jud Cottrell said:

They really do look great TCC!

What’s next on the painting table?

A pic for your comment, thanks 

5HMKK2h.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have entered into a local league style tournament that’s going to be played 1 game every two weeks - I will do my best to update the thread and give a rough battle report.

16 entries, I’m in a pool of 4 - winner of each pool (most points scored) plays of for the top spots.

My pooled games will be:

1. Drukhari (Data salvage) 1.3

Guard: 31

Drakhari: 97

2. Tyranids (Conversion) 2.2

Guard: 88

Tyranids: 64

3. Orks (Secure missing artefacts) 3.3

Guard: 64

Orks: 90

Edited by TCC

• 3 weeks later...

I played Drukhari, it was a blood bath for the shock troops! I had second turn and managed to put the first wave of infantry onto three objectives in no man’s lad and the second wave screened the tanks. In the Drukhari T2 they obliterated the first wave (meaning I scored nothing for primaries T2) and they got stuck into the second wave and tagged one of the TC’s.

I struggled T2 and T3 to fight them of my tanks and manoeuvre my remaining troops into positions but by the time the tanks had cleared themselves it was T5 and it was too late to manoeuvre for objectives. This meant I scored very low on the primaries. 

Final scores:

Drukhari: 97

Guard: 31

dJ5qeXc.jpg
gOzBVlN.jpg
TsDnKWZ.jpg
nvoVvrz.jpg
0SYYxBc.jpg
cYn0txE.jpg

Conclusions:

I should have asked for the terrain to be tweaked - we played to the base but that meant there were no lines of sight past any two terrain piece ps so my T1 meant the TC’s could not shoot.

The Guardsmen are very vulnerable to the Drukhari, I would play the tanks more aggressively to take objectives and try to shield the guardsmen.

I used one sentinel as bait to draw some movement and fire - this worked but I was expecting it to die T1. It survived (to both our surprise) until the end despite lots of attacks through each turn and many wounds - this cost me 5 VP because I was out of range for the secondary ‘command’ for every turn.

Edited by TCC

I played Tyranid’s, it went well. T1 I got the drop and did limited movement to get into firing positions. The Nids deployment was aggressive and the Hive Tyrant was visible for the tanks to attack. Once the Hive Tyrant was killed (this stopped them from gaining CP due to the mission), fire was switched to the screamer killers and some bugs holding their home deployment objective. Nids T1 had limited shooting impact with the tanks tanking damage but shrugged most of it. They only made one charge that lockup a command squad and one shock troops squad, the fighting was split killing the command squad but the troops hung on stopping the nids from locking the TC.

T2 the guard focused on the screamer killers taking them out and clearing out all the bugs close to my troops. T3 the big 17W big was taken out (a good few wounds by lasgun) and then further damage was dealt to the zonethropes. T4 the zonethropes were targeted and taken out leaving only a handful of bugs, by the end of my T5 only one bug survived and guard had all the objectives.

Guard: 88Tyranids:

ONg1kMn.jpg

7I2bSlM.jpg

NEbHIfG.jpg

O3zOMBh.jpg

6eeAYMI.jpg

pbI7Mm3.jpg

Edited by TCC